Canada solves it's final problem

In summary, the Canadian government has banned the song "Money for Nothing" because of its offensive lyrics.
NobodySpecial
Having dealt with all the important matters of the economy, living standards and national security - and having decided that dealing with an inability to win at ice hockey is unsolvable - the Canadian government has finally stamped down on those wreckers of society.

Dire Straits have been banned.

Specifically the line in Money for Nothing - "that little sweetheart with the earing and the makeup" has been banned following a single complaint from a Newfoundlander (even more amazing the complaint was in writing!)

Radio stations, when they stopped laughing, responded by beeping out the word leaving only the 'F' which of course makes it sound ruder than it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one's played that song on the radio in the US in 20 years, but I'm sure it would be bleep'd out here too if anyone ever did.

russ_watters said:
No one's played that song on the radio in the US in 20 years, but I'm sure it would be bleep'd out here too if anyone ever did.

Don't US rap stars have some terribly off-color lyrics in their ballads?

NobodySpecial said:
Don't US rap stars have some terribly off-color lyrics in their ballads?

They get bleeped out for the most part.

here's another one for you silly canucks to censor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSZCo4Znvg

Give it another 25years for the album to reach Newfieland and it will be banned.

http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?name=songinfo&song_id=31768" oh yeah, you said hand-written letter, didja

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:

The classic rock station here in Baltimore plays the song, and does not bleep it out.

We're on a roll here. First step is banning music and the next step is rewriting books.

In 50 years, books will say Hitler was Asian, that the Confederates won the civil war, and the first man on the moon was Jackie Gleason :wink:

Do the Canadians plan on banning distribution on the Internet as well? I suppose the Chinese have a Tienanmen Square filter that could be adapted to block Money For Nothing.

Caution for Canadian Viewers, the CHRC may object:

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Knopfler says 'queen' now in live performances.

Related to Canada solves it's final problem

1. What is Canada's final problem?

Canada's final problem refers to the country's ongoing struggle to find a solution for its unresolved issues and challenges.

2. What are some examples of problems Canada has solved?

Some examples of problems Canada has solved include implementing universal healthcare, promoting multiculturalism and diversity, and legalizing same-sex marriage.

3. Is Canada's final problem unique to the country?

No, many countries around the world also have ongoing issues and challenges that they are trying to solve.

4. How does Canada approach solving its final problem?

Canada uses a combination of government policies, community initiatives, and collaboration with stakeholders to address and solve its final problem.

5. Has Canada successfully solved any major problems in the past?

Yes, Canada has a history of successfully solving major problems, such as reducing poverty rates, improving access to education, and implementing environmental protection measures.

Back