Canada: Physics/Math Undergrad: McMaster vs Queen's vs U.Western

In summary, the speaker is in their final year of high school and has been accepted into physics/mathematics programs at McMaster, Queen's, and University of Western Ontario. They are seeking advice on which school to attend, but the speaker believes that all three are on par with each other. They suggest considering personal preferences and comfort when making the decision. The speaker did not apply to U of T because they did not feel as comfortable with the school during their visit.
Space Cowboy
I am finishing grade 12 and want to pursue a career in physics/mathematics. I applied to, and was accepted into said programs at McMaster, Queen's, and University of Western Ontario. I was wondering whether anyone had a specific advantage over another? (Undergrad)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any major advantage of one of the others. They are all great schools on par with each other, in my opinion.

Given that, you're in a position to make a decision based on your own personal preferences. Is it going to be cheaper to go to one over another? Do you think you'll excel in one place? Is there one program that's particularly attractive to you? I would aim for the one where it seem like you're the most comfortable at because, at the end of the day, what will matter is how much you learn and how well you perform.

Why didn't you apply to U of T?

Choppy said:
I don't think there's any major advantage of one of the others. They are all great schools on par with each other, in my opinion.

Given that, you're in a position to make a decision based on your own personal preferences. Is it going to be cheaper to go to one over another? Do you think you'll excel in one place? Is there one program that's particularly attractive to you? I would aim for the one where it seem like you're the most comfortable at because, at the end of the day, what will matter is how much you learn and how well you perform.
Yeah that makes sense! Thank you!

JonnyG said:
Why didn't you apply to U of T?
When I visited I didn't quite feel as comfortable with the school as a whole as I did with the other three.

Related to Canada: Physics/Math Undergrad: McMaster vs Queen's vs U.Western

1. What are the differences in the physics/math programs at McMaster, Queen's, and U.Western?

The physics and math programs at McMaster, Queen's, and U.Western are all highly ranked and reputable programs. However, there are some key differences between them. McMaster has a more theoretical approach to physics and math, while Queen's has a stronger emphasis on experimental and applied physics. U.Western has a more balanced approach between theory and experimentation. Additionally, each university offers different specializations and research opportunities within their programs.

2. Which university has the best faculty and resources for physics and math?

All three universities have exceptional faculty and resources for physics and math. It ultimately depends on the individual professors and their expertise in specific areas. It is recommended to research the faculty members and their research interests at each university to determine which one aligns with your own interests and goals.

3. Do any of these universities have a co-op program for physics and math undergraduates?

McMaster, Queen's, and U.Western all offer co-op programs for undergraduate students in various fields, including physics and math. However, the availability and requirements for these programs may vary between universities. It is best to check with each university's co-op office for specific information.

4. How do these universities rank in terms of job prospects for physics and math graduates?

All three universities have strong and reputable physics and math programs, which can lead to many job opportunities. However, job prospects may also depend on individual performance, experience, and networking. It is recommended to research the specific job market and demand in your field of interest, as well as the alumni network and career services at each university.

5. What is the student experience like at each university for physics and math undergraduates?

The student experience at each university can vary greatly and is highly subjective. It is recommended to visit each university's campus, attend information sessions and open houses, and speak with current students to get a better understanding of the overall atmosphere and community within the physics and math departments.