What Language Is Featured in This Text?

• Thread starter Tengo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, your rusty spanish is just unacceptable! :roll:In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of translating poems and the importance of learning a foreign language.
It depends on which country you're from. It was quite fun learning Spanish in college when each semester, I had an instructor who learned Spanish in a different country, so taught different pronunciation of the words. The same thing happens with j and y. In some countries, both are pronounced like we would pronounce the j in jello, and in others more like we'd pronounce the y in yellow.

In spanish (I mean, the spanish of Spain), the "j" is never pronounced as "y". The latin-american spanish speakers who coexist with english speakers, mix the two languages and talk the called "spanglish", which is an aberration of course !

And I actually knew that mañana had a little something going on the 'n'...just didn't bother figuring how best to put it there.

I've heard it sometimes with a 'b' sound where the 'v' is.

The ñ has a tilde over it, and the best way to figure how is pronounced is to pronounce like 'ny'.

In spanish pronounciation, 'v' and 'b' are indistinguishable, and both are pronounced like your b.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clausius2 said:
:smile: :smile: :smile: Congratulations, you have enhanced me to be laughing at this over 5 minutes or so, and laughing just right now was very necessary for me.
Glad I could help! :biggrin:
Your spanish seems to be given birth in Mexico or so. With the words "Levante la pierna, por favor" maybe you will see something that you cannot imagine... :!)
Yes, I was born and raised in Southern California and had learned some street Spanish before I was 8. And trust me. I've seen everything there is to see (and MORE) when my patient lifts his leg. There is practically nothing that you can imagine that I haven't seen.

Anyway, you seem to know well where is the isquiotibial, so you have passed the exam with honours.
Bueno. :approve:

The answer of the patient to this would be: "Hey baby! why do you want to get that brick into my ass? or you practice sado-maso usually?, Then go ahead... :!) :smile: !, Now it is my turn...".
OK! Wait just a minute, tho. I need to go get Bubba. :devil:

Ok, that's another problem closer to your speciality:

"Un paciente entra en tu sala de rayos X. Entonces le dices que se ponga en la camilla o encima de la mesa esa en la que te examinan. El paciente va y se coloca como tu le has dicho. Enciendes el aparato de rayos X y el paciente comienza a sufrir la radiación. Justo entonces, te llama una amiga tuya por teléfono, y comenzáis a hablar de chorradas: que si mi perro está malito, que si mi marido me la pega con otra, que si mañana tengo que ir a la peluquería a cortarme el pelo...blablabla. Pasan 15 minutos y el paciente todavía está en la camilla, pero resulta que se ha freído por culpa de tanta radiación. Ha estado tanto tiempo expuesto a los rayos X que ahora parece una patata frita."

Questions:
1) What is probably going to say the patient to you?

Go on Tsu, you can.
Errrr... Did I mention that I can't be used as a translator? :smile:

OK. Let's give this a shot. A patient has entered the xray 'hall' and appears to climb upon the table for his exam. Just then, I have a phone call from a friend, and she begins to talk about sombody's dog being bad, and someones husband is going out with another, tomorrow someone is going somewhere...blah blah blah. After 15 minutes, the patient is thinking he's had enough radiation. He thinks he's had enough time in xray to become a french fry!

Well? How'd I do? Pretty bad, huh? :biggrin: (my spanish-english dictionary SUCKS! It had one out of about 7 words that I didn't know and had to look up! :cry: :cry:)

Moonbear said:
Clausius, in the US, learning a Latin American dialect of Spanish is far more practical than learning to speak as you do in Spain, especially for someone in a medical profession. Though, I have to agree with whoever it was that pointed out listening to a Spaniard speak Spanish sounds so much more pleasing to the ears than listening to Latin-American Spanish. It's softer and more romantic sounding, while the Latin-American version is harsher sounding...at least to me.

I worked in San fernando all summer, and again over christmas break and its interesting to hear different dialects. Every once in a while i get a person on the phone who speaks perfect traditional spanish, and its almost lyrical(i ahve to fight the urge to thank them profusely for giving my ears a respite), especially in comparison to the bastardized spanish spoken by most of the mexican immigrants and their children who live in the area (its mostly 1-2 generation immigrants living there that still speak spanish.).

I agree that latin american spanish is much harsher sounding, especially what is spoken in the US. I've actually had people who apparently couldn't speak either language properly, they're always fun customers, and by fun of course i mean not.

MiGUi said:
In spanish (I mean, the spanish of Spain), the "j" is never pronounced as "y". The latin-american spanish speakers who coexist with english speakers, mix the two languages and talk the called "spanglish", which is an aberration of course !

The ñ has a tilde over it, and the best way to figure how is pronounced is to pronounce like 'ny'.

In spanish pronounciation, 'v' and 'b' are indistinguishable, and both are pronounced like your b.

For those americans here who want to know how to type the ñ easily, you ahve to configure windows to spanish keyboard settings (ine is set to both english and spanish, i just press alt+shift to switch from one to the other.) the button that is the semicolon key on an english keyboard is the ñ on a spanish keyboard.

¡Mirame! ¡Mirame! ¡Puedo escribir a maquina!

I still haven't figured how to add accents on a spanish keyboard setting though.

Gokul43201 said:
hola, por fabor, cigarillo, cojones, y tu mama tambien...

Those words can cause you a serious problem here... :smile:

Migui said:
You have learned the latin-american spanish ! The spanish of Spain is more sophisticated, more beautiful, more ...

Amén to that. And this case is worse than American English-British English. Latin spanish is not representative of spanish. But American english and british one seem to be more similar.

Moonbear said:
Clausius, in the US, learning a Latin American dialect of Spanish is far more practical than learning to speak as you do in Spain, especially for someone in a medical profession. Though, I have to agree with whoever it was that pointed out listening to a Spaniard speak Spanish sounds so much more pleasing to the ears than listening to Latin-American Spanish. It's softer and more romantic sounding, while the Latin-American version is harsher sounding...at least to me.

Ok, it can be so. But do not call Spanish to that Latin American dialect. It is like comparing a basketball team of Denmark with L.A Lakers. Both play basketball but not the same basketball.

FranzNietzsche said:
I worked in San fernando all summer...

You mean San Fernando, Cádiz?. Although Migui is not going to like this, the spanish spoken in the south of Spain is a bit strange and different of the traditional spanish, which is the Castellano (original from former Castilla kingdom) and is spoken in the center lands of Spain.

Tsu said:
Yes, I was born and raised in Southern California and had learned some street Spanish before I was 8. And trust me. I've seen everything there is to see (and MORE) when my patient lifts his leg. There is practically nothing that you can imagine that I haven't seen.
I am starting to think that you do not work at X rays. The letter X might be better do with some types of filmsn you get involved... :!) .(joking :smile: ).

Tsu said:
OK. Let's give this a shot. A patient has entered the xray 'hall' and appears to climb upon the table for his exam. Just then, I have a phone call from a friend, and she begins to talk about sombody's dog being bad, and someones husband is going out with another, tomorrow someone is going somewhere...blah blah blah. After 15 minutes, the patient is thinking he's had enough radiation. He thinks he's had enough time in xray to become a french fry!

Well? How'd I do? Pretty bad, huh? :biggrin: (my spanish-english dictionary SUCKS! It had one out of about 7 words that I didn't know and had to look up! :cry: :cry:)

Ok, that's a begining. Congratulations. High Score. Probably the patient will go and burn your house as a revenge, but at least you know why he did so.. :smile:

I would want to exchange swear words, but I'm not sure Evo is going to let us doing so... That words are an interesting legacy and are part of our culture. Gokul has started with some of them. Maybe Migui wants to continue.

Clausius2 said:
You mean San Fernando, Cádiz?. Although Migui is not going to like this, the spanish spoken in the south of Spain is a bit strange and different of the traditional spanish, which is the Castellano (original from former Castilla kingdom) and is spoken in the center lands of Spain.

No, San Fernando California. Site of an old Spanish Mission out here. Southern California. Hence all the mexican immigrants.

Southern spain would have significant arabic influences i would think. most obvious one i can think of would be Ojala, which is a corruption of an arabic phrase meaning "allah" or god willing.

Gokul43201 said:
How does one say : "Woohoo, you're a hottie ! :-p" ?

Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!

At least that's how someone from Alabama would say it.

I'm actually surprised I got so many of the spellings right. :

Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...okay, got it ! What do I need next ?

Damn buono, brutto and cattivo are Italian ! Blast ! I've seen that movie so many times (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly), I should have known that Sergio Leone would use an Italian name.

Gokul43201 said:
Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!...okay, got it ! What do I need next ?
Gokul, you're adorable. I think next you need to find a girl to say it to. :biggrin:

To get ñ

1) activate Num Lock

2) hold down Alt key

3) on number key-pad (usually below Num Lock), type 0241 (while holding down Alt key) and

4) then release Alt key.

so "Alt+0241" gets ñ

Astronuc said:
To get ñ

1) activate Num Lock

2) hold down Alt key

3) on number key-pad (usually below Num Lock), type 0241 (while holding down Alt key) and

4) then release Alt key.

so "Alt+0241" gets ñ

That doesn't work on my Mac. :frown: All it accomplished was typing 0241. Though now I know how to use the number keys on my notebook, which is easier than when I had a PC notebook that I had to hold some other key down to use the numbers; either way, it's not convenient. Nothing wrong with those numbers across the top of the keyboard as far as I'm concerned. Now stop laughing, those numbers mixed in with letters are hard to read they are so tiny, and once I finish wearing off the letters, I won't be able to read them at all. I've never had a notebook keyboard last more than 6 months without letters wearing off; these flat keyboards leave my fingernails hitting the keys as I touch type, and E and N really wear off quickly the way I type, L and S are starting to go too...I don't have this problem on full-sized keyboards.

Tengo said:
Can yu tell me what language is this and can you help ?

Ahora que you mi vida se encuentra normal,
Que tengo en casa quien sueña con verme llegar,
Ahora puedo decir que me encuentro de pie
Ahora que, me va muy bien
Ahora que con el tiempo logré superar,
Aquel amor que por poco me llega a matar,
Ahora que mi futuro comienza a brillar,
Ahora que me han devuelto la seguridad,
Ahora you , no hay más dolor
Ahora al fin, vuelvo a ser yo

Thanks
Hello Tengo,
Although I'm certain someone must have translated this for you days ago that in no way alters the fact I haven't read this thread, lol. Anyway, this is how I would translate it for an English speaker;

Now, that my life is back to normal,
That I have some one waiting to see me return home again,
I can now say that I'm back on my feet,
Now that all is well,
Now that with time I have overcome,
that love that by little it would have killed me,
Now that my future is starting to shine bright,
Now that my security have been given back to me,
Now that there's no more pain,
Finally, I can now be me.

Good luck with those Spanish lessons!

BoulderHead said:
Hello Tengo,
Although I'm certain someone must have translated this for you days ago that in no way alters the fact I haven't read this thread, lol. Anyway, this is how I would translate it for an English speaker;

Now, that my life is back to normal,
That I have some one waiting to see me return home again,
I can now say that I'm back on my feet,
Now that all is well,
Now that with time I have overcome,
that love that by little it would have killed me,
Now that my future is starting to shine bright,
Now that my security have been given back to me,
Now that there's no more pain,
Finally, I can now be me.

Good luck with those Spanish lessons!
Boulderhead, a translation from the heart of a poet. :approve: That is beautiful.

:shy: :blushing: :redface: :smile:
Thank you, Evo. In reading it over I could have (should have) done better but my ability to concentrate on even simple things has of late been reduced to short sporadic bursts. :frown: :redface:

Yours is a proffesional translation.

The problem here is that I don't know exactly what does it mean: Woohoo, you're a hottie !. My guess that it is said to a promiscous girl. Is that true?. If someone confirm that I will post the translation next time.

The term "Hottie" refers to a so-called 'hot' person, i.e. one who is physically (sensually/sexually) attractive. I have heard both male and female friends use the term in reference to the opposite gender.

From dictionary.com - "Hottie"
Definition: a sexually attractive person; a very good-looking person of the opposite sex
Etymology: hot + (cu)tie

BobG said:
Juju, esta' fumando, amadita!

At least that's how someone from Alabama would say it.

According to Astronuc words, that is not the correct translation for Woohoo, you're a hottie !.

Instead, it would be:

Tia buena!

or

Maciza!

or

Me pones a cien!

or

Estás tan buena que te invitaría a cagar a mi casa!

or

Que no me entere yo que ese culito pasa hambre!

or

Tienes dos ojos como dos tortillas!

or

Con ese culo, si te tiras un pedo en un saco de arena salen croquetas!

Those all are pick up lines to say women. Try, it is easy.

>Migui, I think we need the translated sentences of Torrente.

Clausius2 said:
Tienes dos ojos como dos tortillas!
"you have two eyes like two tortillas"? :rolleyes:

That's too many to try and memorize...maybe I should stick to just a couple of the simple ones.

Wait...tortillas ! ? You guys are not pulling a fast one on me, are you ?

Evo, I designate you my translation checker (if you would be so kind). I don't want to walk up to a girl and call her tortilla-face.

Anyway, what's spanish for 'melon' ?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
That's too many to try and memorize...maybe I should stick to just a couple of the simple ones.

Wait...tortillas ! ? You guys are not pulling a fast one on me, are you ?

Evo, I designate you my translation checker (if you would be so kind). I don't want to walk up to a girl and call her tortilla-face.
I'll be happy to, although I am a bit rusty. I might get you into even more trouble. :redface:

Anyway, what's spanish for 'melon' ?
I think it's melón. I don't know if I'd try to work that into a line to hit on a girl. "usted tiene una cara como un melón" :bugeye:

Astronuc said:
To get ñ

1) activate Num Lock

2) hold down Alt key

4) then release Alt key.

so "Alt+0241" gets ñ

my method is simpler, you just press alt+shift, and then the ; key. You just have to enable to alternate keyboard first. Takes about a minute.

Evo said:
I think it's melón. I don't know if I'd try to work that into a line to hit on a girl. "usted tiene una cara como un melón" :bugeye:

I have no clue what that means, but I was looking for something that involved "dos melóns" ! :-p

Gokul43201 said:
I have no clue what that means, but I was looking for something that involved "dos melóns" ! :-p

Silly gokul, is that all you ever think about?

Why, I buy all my fruits in even numbers ! o:)

Gokul, you wouldn't happen to know how to do the diamond would you? ♥♣♠ I can't seem to find it.

"Esta' fumando" is "You're smoking", but I'm not too sure on the amadita - something like that for li'l darlin'.

Tia buena! - literally good aunt, but that works.

Maciza! - you make it solid?? Okay, that might work.

Me pones a cien! - you put me to a hundred?? I guess it's local, but I can see how it might work.

Estás tan buena que te invitaría a cagar a mi casa - You're so good you're invited to take a crap at my house. Well, who could resist that?

Con ese culo, si te tiras un pedo en un saco de arena salen croquetas! - With that ass, if you fart in the sand you'll leave croquetas?

Woohoo, you're a hottie! = ¡Wuju, estás buena!

Clausius2 said:
Ok, it can be so. But do not call Spanish to that Latin American dialect. It is like comparing a basketball team of Denmark with L.A Lakers. Both play basketball but not the same basketball.

:bugeye: Do not call Spanish to that Latin American dialect!...and what would you call it??...jesus! ... yes they are dialects , SPANISH DIALECTS it looks like you have an ego problem :-p , and please...what is that of Latin American dialect?...you are talking like all Latin-americans have a common dialect as if there was the Spanish from Spain and the Spanish from America. Each country has its own dialect and even in Spain there are differences, the Spanish from the north is different from the spanish of Andalucia...and not to mention the Spanish spoken in Las Canarias!

Personally I don't like the accent of north of Spain...well...I actually like it now, but just six month after living with some spanish from that region...it cost me to get use to their accent because they seem that they were arguing all the time. That of Andalucia I like,...mmmm...Argentinians also have a lovely accent! :wink:

Quiero decirte niña hermosa
Que eres linda y hechicera

fisipavia said:
:bugeye: Do not call Spanish to that Latin American dialect!...and what would you call it??...jesus! ... yes they are dialects , SPANISH DIALECTS it looks like you have an ego problem :-p , and please...what is that of Latin American dialect?...you are talking like all Latin-americans have a common dialect as if there was the Spanish from Spain and the Spanish from America. Each country has its own dialect and even in Spain there are differences, the Spanish from the north is different from the spanish of Andalucia...and not to mention the Spanish spoken in Las Canarias!

It is not an ego problem, the spanish is the language of Spain. When we discovered America, we took (obviously) our language with us, so natives learned it and nowadays, spanish is spoken by 400 million of people, the major part in latin-america.

But, the spanish in Argentina is different than the spanish in Mexico, Bolivia or Spain. Due to this, we made the http://www.rae.es , which work is to perform a standard, attending to the overseas variations, but the standard spanish is the spanish of Spain.

The situation is different of the british-american-australian case. A british can understand perfectly the english talked in Australia or Canada, because it is not very different. But the spanish talked in Mexico is very different from our spanish, because it has thousands (literally) of words that we can't understand, due to the mix with english and native tongues.

Personally I don't like the accent of north of Spain...well...I actually like it now, but just six month after living with some spanish from that region...it cost me to get use to their accent because they seem that they were arguing all the time. That of Andalucia I like,...mmmm...Argentinians also have a lovely accent! :wink:

The accent is not important in a language. I agree that the spanish of Andalucía or Argentina is very cool, but only the accent. For us, it is very difficult to understand the spanish of Andalucía in some cases...

We say that the correct form of spanish is the one talked in some regions of the north like Aragón.

Evo said:
"you have two eyes like two tortillas"? :rolleyes:

:smile: :smile: Don't take it literally. In fact those sentences are obtained from one famous spansih film called "Torrente: El brazo tonto de la ley". That film has a special spice humor. It is about one retired police (fat and bold, and very impolite). And it is my favourite spanish film. I was laughing two hours or so after the end. If you say that to a girl, probably she will answer f..ck you!

Gokul said:
I have no clue what that means, but I was looking for something that involved "dos melóns" !

Vaya par de melones tienes!

BobG said:
Tia buena! - literally good aunt, but that works.

Maciza! - you make it solid?? Okay, that might work.

Me pones a cien! - you put me to a hundred?? I guess it's local, but I can see how it might work.

Estás tan buena que te invitaría a cagar a mi casa - You're so good you're invited to take a crap at my house. Well, who could resist that?

Con ese culo, si te tiras un pedo en un saco de arena salen croquetas! - With that ass, if you fart in the sand you'll leave croquetas?
Today 02:23 AM

"Tio" o "Tia" is an informal way of talking to someone. It doesn't mean he/she is your uncle/aunt.

Maciza is a girl very pretty and hottie.

"You're so good you're invited to take a crap at my house. Well, who could resist that?" That's ellaborated, isn't it?. Maybe it is the best way of picking up you ever heard! :smile: Try with some girl and see what happens.

croqueta=croquette.

Now, it is your turn. For the sake of my english I want to know how to pick up in english. Or at least, how to say swear words.

How to say Woohoo, you're a hottie?

Hmmm, ok, I'll play along and toss in a few;

1.) OOOHHHHHHHH! Que mango!

2.) Eres todo un mango!

3.) Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiii! Que papacito!
(female is pointing out to a guy)

4.) Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhiiiiiii! Que mamacita!
(male referring to a female)

5.) Estas para chuparse los dedos!
(means you're finger licking…but doesn't sound right in English although in Spanish its a ‘horny’ complement.)

6.) Estas buenisma! OR Estas buenismo!
(a more humble way of saying you're a hottie, the first one is for a female and the second is for a male.)

franznietzsche said:
Quiero decirte niña hermosa
Que eres linda y hechicera
:!) :!) :!) :!)

MiGUi said:
The accent is not important in a language. I agree that the spanish of Andalucía or Argentina is very cool, but only the accent. For us, it is very difficult to understand the spanish of Andalucía in some cases...

We say that the correct form of spanish is the one talked in some regions of the north like Aragón.

Bueno, Migui...está bien...entonces según tu, mi español es el malo y no se puede llamar español. Sólo te aclaro que parece que estás mezclando los mexicanos que viven en los Estados Unidos con los que viven en México. En América Latina no hay tantas palabras derivadas del inglés como tu dices, aunque sí de los indígenas. Obviamente los latinos que viven en EU mezclan palabras del inglés con las del español...Pero por si no sabías, la Real Academia Española no toma en cuenta sólo el Español del Norte de España como el correcto, sino que va tomando en cuenta palabras frecuentemente usadas en todos los países hispanoparlantes. Hay palabras aceptadas por la real academia española que se usan en mi país y no en España. Las lenguas están en constante evolución y yo creo que lo que se habla en América es un español tan legítimo como el que se habla en el norte de España. ¿O es acaso que tu hablas como hablaría Cervantes?

Y dije lo del acento argentino porque ustedes estaban opinando cual acento les gustaba más. Pues nada, sólo opiné que a mí me gusta el acento de los argentinos. Y paréntesis aparte: el acento sí es importante en una lengua... no se te ocurra decir que no lo es en una clase de idiomas! Obviamente no es lo más importante, como saber conjugar los verbos, pero sí es bien importante.

Back