Can You Subtract Vectors in Spherical Coordinates to Find Distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the distance between two points in spherical coordinates using subtraction, as one would in rectangular coordinates. It is determined that this is not possible and one must either convert the coordinates to rectangular or use the cosine rule to find the distance.
FrogPad
Hi all,

Would someone please re-enlighten me.

Say I have a vector in spherical coordinates:

[tex]\vec r_1 = \phi \hat{\phi} + \theta \hat{\theta} + R \hat{R}[/tex]

Where [tex] r, \theta, R [/tex] are scalars and the corresponding hat notation is the unit vectors.

Say, I form a new vector [tex] r_2 [/tex] in spherical coordinates.

Would the distance from r_1 to r_2 be given by the norm of r_2-r_1.

What I'm trying to ask is this:
1) In rectangular coordinates I can find the vector from one point to another, via V_ab = V_b - V_a
2) If I have two vectors in spherical coordinates, can I find the distance from one point to another with subtraction? Or do I need to convert the spherical vectors to rectangular, and then perform the subtraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FrogPad! :smile:
FrogPad said:
1) In rectangular coordinates I can find the vector from one point to another, via V_ab = V_b - V_a
2) If I have two vectors in spherical coordinates, can I find the distance from one point to another with subtraction? Or do I need to convert the spherical vectors to rectangular, and then perform the subtraction.

Your suspicion is correct … you certanily can't use subtraction. :smile:

Either convert to rectangular, or use the cosine rule:

r122 = r12 + r22 - 2r1r2cosθ,

where in two dimensions θ = θ1 - θ2, but in three dimensions θ is a lot more complicated! :rolleyes: :frown: :wink:

Related to Can You Subtract Vectors in Spherical Coordinates to Find Distance?

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to every point in space.

2. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a function that assigns a vector to every point in space. It can be thought of as a collection of arrows, with each arrow representing the direction and magnitude of the vector at that point.

3. What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus include vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector fields.

4. How is vector calculus used in science?

Vector calculus is used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze physical systems, such as fluid flow, electromagnetism, and motion of particles in space.

5. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity and force.