Can You Solve This Urgent Chemistry Reaction Mechanism Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with a question on a chemistry test. The question involves a reaction mechanism, overall reaction, enthalpy change, activation energy, and a catalyst. The student is asking for someone to explain and help them understand how to solve the question.
scrimmage
chemistry help!

hi, i really really really need help with this question, i missed 2 days of class, now i don't know what's goin on, I am completely lost, and i have a test 2morow on this topic, and a friend told me the teacher said a question of this type will be on this test. i have went through my test book and learned all the other stuff but this is all that i absolutly don't get! , i just went blank. if somone ANYONE with knowledge if this can help me, i'd really appreciate it, i wouldent do this unless i was desprate , i feel like a retard but here it goes...

Consider The following reaction mechanism

2NO(subscript2) (g) -----> NO(subscript3) (g) + NO(g) Ea(activation energy = + 100 KJ delta(triangle)H = + 50KJ

NO(subscript3) (g) + CO (g) --------> NO(subscript2) (g) + CO(subscript2) Ea = 200KJ deltaH = - 150 KJ

a) write the overall reaction(rxn) for the above mechanism, and calculate the overall enthalpy change and activation energy.

b) draw a fully labelled enthalpy diagram include labelled axes, enthalpy changes, Ea, activated complex, productts reactants and illistrate how a catalyst would affect the rxn (reaction).

thanks a lot for anyone that can help or explain this to me, i got to know how to do this for 2morow

Physics news on Phys.org
and i don't understand it at all. A: The overall reaction for the above mechanism is: 2NO(subscript2) (g) + CO (g) -----> NO(g) + CO(subscript2) (g) The overall enthalpy change for the reaction is -100 kJ and the overall activation energy is 300 kJ. For the enthalpy diagram, it should look like this: Reactants ---------------|---------------- Activated Complex ---------------|---------- Products Ea = 300 KJ ΔH = -100 KJA catalyst would affect the reaction by lowering the activation energy (Ea) needed to reach the activated complex. This would allow the reaction to proceed faster and be more favorable.

Hi there,

I can understand how stressful it can be to have an exam tomorrow and feeling lost in a subject. Chemistry can be tricky at times, but with some practice and understanding, you can definitely get through this. I'll try my best to explain the problem and provide some tips for you to prepare for your exam.

Firstly, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. The given reaction mechanism involves two reactions, one is the formation of NO3 and NO from NO2, and the second one is the reaction between NO3 and CO to form NO2 and CO2. In order to write the overall reaction, we need to cancel out the common reactants and products. In this case, NO3 and NO are common in both reactions, so they will cancel out. This leaves us with the overall reaction as:

2CO (g) -----> 2CO2 (g)

Now, for calculating the overall enthalpy change, we need to add the enthalpy changes for each step in the reaction mechanism. The first reaction has a deltaH of +50 KJ and the second reaction has a deltaH of -150 KJ. When we add these, we get a net deltaH of -100 KJ. This means that the overall reaction is exothermic.

For calculating the activation energy, you need to look at the highest energy barrier in the reaction mechanism. In this case, it is the second step with an Ea of 200 KJ. So, the overall activation energy for the reaction is 200 KJ.

For drawing the enthalpy diagram, you can start by labeling the axes - x-axis as reaction progress and y-axis as enthalpy. Then, plot the enthalpy changes for each step in the reaction mechanism. For the first step, you will have a +50 KJ change, so the line will go up. For the second step, you will have a -150 KJ change, so the line will go down. The difference between the highest and lowest points on the graph will give you the overall enthalpy change. To show the effect of a catalyst, you can draw a dotted line with a lower activation energy, indicating that the presence of a catalyst lowers the energy barrier for the reaction.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. It's important to practice similar problems and go through your notes and textbook to get a better understanding of the topic. Also, make sure

Related to Can You Solve This Urgent Chemistry Reaction Mechanism Problem?

1. What is the chemistry problem that needs help?

The specific chemistry problem that needs help is not mentioned in the question. However, it is likely related to a topic covered on the upcoming exam.

2. Is there a time limit for solving the chemistry problem?

The time limit for solving the chemistry problem will depend on the individual's exam schedule. It is important to manage time effectively and prioritize the problem based on its point value on the exam.

3. Can I get help from others to solve the chemistry problem?

It is important to check with the instructor beforehand to see if collaboration is allowed. Asking for help from classmates or tutors can also be beneficial, but make sure to understand the problem and solution on your own.

4. How should I study for the chemistry problem before the exam tomorrow?

First, review any relevant notes or textbook material on the topic. Then, practice solving similar problems and make sure to understand the concepts behind them. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

5. What should I do if I am unable to solve the chemistry problem before the exam tomorrow?

If you are unable to solve the chemistry problem, it is important to not panic. Make sure to show your work and explain your thought process to the best of your ability. Additionally, make sure to review the problem after the exam to understand where you may have gone wrong.