Can You Solve This Infinite Series Challenge?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the POTW stands for "Problem of the Week," which is a weekly challenge or puzzle designed to promote critical thinking skills and stimulate curiosity. It is created by a team of scientists or educators and may be provided by organizations or institutions to promote interest in a specific field. The purpose of the POTW is to apply knowledge and problem-solving techniques in a real-world scenario. The solution to the POTW is typically provided in the following week's release, but you can also seek guidance from others to confirm if your answer is correct.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the infinite series

$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1} n^2}{n^3 + 1}$$

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
The series evaluates to

$$\frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{3}\log 2 + \frac{\pi}{3}\sech\left(\frac{\pi \sqrt{3}}{2}\right)$$

Indeed, since

$$\frac{n^2}{n^3 + 1} = \frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{2n-1}{n^2 + n + 1}\right)$$

then

$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}n^2}{n^3 + 1} = \frac{1}{3}\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n+1} + \frac{1}{3}\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(2n-1)}{n^2 - n + 1}\tag{1}$$

Now

$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n+1} = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n+1} - (-1) = -\log 2 + 1$$

and so the right-hand side of $(1)$ becomes

$$\frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{3}\log 2 + \frac{1}{3}\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(2n-1)}{n^2 - n + 1}\tag{2} $$

We have

$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(2n-1)}{n^2 - n + 1} = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(2n-1)}{(n-1/2)^2 + (3/4)} = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty (-1)^{n+1}\left(\frac{1}{n - 1/2 - i\sqrt{3}/2} + \frac{1}{n - 1/2 + i\sqrt{3}/2}\right)$$
$$= \lim_{N \to \infty} \left(\sum_{n = 1}^N \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n - 1/2 - i\sqrt{3}/2} + \sum_{n = 1}^N \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n - 1/2 + i\sqrt{3}/2}\right)$$
$$= \lim_{N \to \infty} \left(\sum_{n = -N}^{-1} \frac{(-1)^n}{n + 1/2 + i\sqrt{3}/2} + \sum_{n = 0}^{N-1} \frac{(-1)^n}{n + 1/2 + i\sqrt{3}/2}\right)$$
$$= \lim_{N\to \infty} \sum_{n = -N}^{N-1} \frac{(-1)^n}{n + 1/2 + i\sqrt{3}/2}$$
$$=\pi \sec\left(i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)$$
$$=\pi \sech\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)\tag{3}$$

Combining (1), (2), and (3), we obtain the result.

Related to Can You Solve This Infinite Series Challenge?

1. What is the POTW?

The POTW stands for "Problem of the Week," which is a challenge or puzzle that is given to students or individuals to solve.

2. How often is the POTW released?

The POTW is typically released once a week, hence the name "Problem of the Week." It is a way to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills on a regular basis.

3. Who creates the POTW?

The POTW is created by a team of scientists or educators who design the challenge to be engaging and thought-provoking. It may also be provided by a specific organization or institution as a way to promote interest in a particular field of study.

4. What is the purpose of the POTW?

The purpose of the POTW is to stimulate curiosity and promote critical thinking skills. It can also be used as a learning tool to apply knowledge and problem-solving techniques in a real-world scenario.

5. How can I check if my solution to the POTW is correct?

The solution to the POTW is typically provided in the following week's release. You can also discuss your solution with others or seek guidance from a mentor or teacher to confirm if your answer is correct.