Can you see a counter example that i can't, divisibility problem

In summary: For example, if you pick a=5, then 10b=50 and 3 does not divide 50 so 3 does not divide 10b. In summary, 3 does not divide 50.
mr_coffee
HEllo everyone. I'm trying to find a counter example that will prove this false. But it may be true but I'm hoping it isn't :)

For all integers a and b, if a|10b then a|10 or a|b. I said false, a = 3, b = 5. 3 is not divisible by 50. 3 is also not divisble by 10 nor 3 divisible by 5. But then i saw, p has to be true for q to be true. I have to prove q to be false, then p is also false. Its looking like this has to be true, can anyone spot a counter example? I"m not looking for an answer, but it would motivate me to keep looking for one.

THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try having a > 10 and a > b

So we're starting with

prove or disprove that for all a,b if a|10b then a|10 or a|b.

A disproof does require one counter example. However, why did you pick a=3 and b=5, since we need to have a|10b and a doesn't divide 10 or b for a counter example, and 3 does not divide 50.

Hint: p is *prime* if and only if for all m,n p|mn implies p|m or p|n. (so of course a counter example exists, and can be found just by thinking about prime factorizations.

mr_coffee said:
HEllo everyone. I'm trying to find a counter example that will prove this false. But it may be true but I'm hoping it isn't :)

For all integers a and b, if a|10b then a|10 or a|b. I said false, a = 3, b = 5. 3 is not divisible by 50. 3 is also not divisble by 10 nor 3 divisible by 5.
The question would not be whether 3 is divisible by 50 but whether 50 is divisible by 3. a| 10b means "a divides 10b". I.e. "10b is divisible by a". In any case, the statement says "If a|10b" so you cannot choose an example in which that is not true.
But then i saw, p has to be true for q to be true. I have to prove q to be false, then p is also false.
Well, I don't know because you didn't tell us what p and q are!
Its looking like this has to be true, can anyone spot a counter example? I"m not looking for an answer, but it would motivate me to keep looking for one.

THanks!
I hope you mean you are not asking for an answer. You certainly should be looking for one! Try this: pick b to be anything you like and pick a to be the biggest number you can find that will divide 10b.

Related to Can you see a counter example that i can't, divisibility problem

1. Can you give an example of a number that is divisible by 3 but not by 9?

Yes, the number 12 is divisible by 3 but not by 9. This is because 12 is a multiple of 3, but not a multiple of 9.

2. How do you know if a number is divisible by 7?

A number is divisible by 7 if the last digit of the number is either 0, 7, 4, or 1 and the remaining digits form a number that is divisible by 7. For example, the number 154 is divisible by 7 because the last digit is 4 and 15 is divisible by 7.

3. Are all prime numbers divisible by 2?

No, not all prime numbers are divisible by 2. The only even prime number is 2, all other prime numbers are odd and therefore not divisible by 2.

4. Can you give an example of a counter example for the statement "All odd numbers are divisible by 3"?

Yes, the number 5 is an odd number that is not divisible by 3. This is because 5 divided by 3 gives a remainder of 2, making it not divisible.

5. How can you prove that a number is not divisible by 11?

A number is not divisible by 11 if the alternating sum of its digits is not divisible by 11. For example, the number 473 is not divisible by 11 because 4-7+3=0 and 0 is not divisible by 11.