Can you please check my translation?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of quantum mechanics and the development of a C++ code to numerically determine the evolution of systems described by the Schrödinger equation. The method used involved Lie-Trotter formula and the validation of results was done by comparing them with analytic solutions. The code was able to handle different initial states and potentials, showcasing the unique quantum behavior that differs from our daily experience.
eoghan
Hi!
I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic, if there is a better place, please let me know and I'll move my post.
I have to write a resume of my project and I have to write it in English. My mother language is Italian and I'm not so good in writing in English, so can you please check if my translation is correct? Thank you very much.

Quantum mechanics represented a big revolution in the way we conceive the world and the reality all around us. Nevertheless the Schr ̈odinger equation can be exactly solved only in few situations; it is thus interesting to develop pro- grams in order to numerically determine the evolution of several systems. That was, indeed, the goal of this work, where a C++ code was written to integrate the Schr ̈odinger equation in two and three spatial dimensions and to show the real-time evolution of the wave-packet.
The method used is based on Lie-Trotter formula in order to write the time evolution operator as an infinite product of terms diagonal in coordinate and momentum space. This product is written as a finite number of terms by the discretization of the temporal evolution in small intervals ∆t; the error intro- duced in this way is of the order of (∆t)2). In order to evolve the wave function, first it is multiplied by the factor diagonal on the coordinate basis; then the wave function is written in the basis of the momentum space and it’s multiplied by the factor diagonal in that basis and finally the wave function is written back in the coordinate space and multiplied by the third factor of the split evolution operator. The two basis are linked by the Fourier transform.
If a magnetic field is present, it can be shown that its effect can be accomplished with the introduction of an appropriate phase. Any substantial difficulty is in- troduced if the spin interaction is also considered. It can be shown that the spin coupling with the magnetic field can be achived with a matrix inserted in the evolution operator and considering the wave function as a two-component spinor.
A fundamental part in the development of the code was the validation of the results. To do this, the numerical results have been compared with the analytic solutions for some cases where the exact solution of the Schr ̈odinger equation is available. These include the free particle, the harmonic oscillator, the infinite-height potential barrier and the spin megnetic resonance. In conclusion, the code can manage any initial state and any potential, showing the real-time evolution of the wave function and visually displaying the strictly quantum behavior so distant from our daily experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
eoghan said:
Hi!
I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic, if there is a better place, please let me know and I'll move my post.
I have to write a resume of my project and I have to write it in English. My mother language is Italian and I'm not so good in writing in English, so can you please check if my translation is correct? Thank you very much.

Quantum mechanics represented a big revolution in the way we conceive the world and the reality all around us. Nevertheless the Schr ̈odinger equation can be exactly solved only in few situations; it is thus interesting to develop pro- grams in order to numerically determine the evolution of several systems. That was, indeed, the goal of this work, where a C++ code was written to integrate the Schr ̈odinger equation in two and three spatial dimensions and to show the real-time evolution of the wave-packet.
The method used is based on Lie-Trotter formula in order to write the time evolution operator as an infinite product of terms diagonal in coordinate and momentum space. This product is written as a finite number of terms by the discretization of the temporal evolution in small intervals ∆t; the error intro- duced in this way is of the order of (∆t)2). In order to evolve the wave function, first it is multiplied by the factor diagonal on the coordinate basis; then the wave function is written in the basis of the momentum space and it’s multiplied by the factor diagonal in that basis and finally the wave function is written back in the coordinate space and multiplied by the third factor of the split evolution operator. The two basis are linked by the Fourier transform.
If a magnetic field is present, it can be shown that its effect can be accomplished with the introduction of an appropriate phase. Any substantial difficulty is in- troduced if the spin interaction is also considered. It can be shown that the spin coupling with the magnetic field can be achived with a matrix inserted in the evolution operator and considering the wave function as a two-component spinor.
A fundamental part in the development of the code was the validation of the results. To do this, the numerical results have been compared with the analytic solutions for some cases where the exact solution of the Schr ̈odinger equation is available. These include the free particle, the harmonic oscillator, the infinite-height potential barrier and the spin megnetic resonance. In conclusion, the code can manage any initial state and any potential, showing the real-time evolution of the wave function and visually displaying the strictly quantum behavior so distant from our daily experience.

'achived' is actually spelled 'achieved', 'megnetic' should be 'magnetic'. That's all I've found so far. But you still aren't going to pass for a native English speaker. The spelling and grammar are too good. :)

Thank you very much!

Related to Can you please check my translation?

1. Can you please check my translation for accuracy?

Yes, as a scientist, I am trained to pay attention to detail and accuracy. I would be happy to review your translation and provide feedback.

2. How long will it take for you to review my translation?

The time it takes to review a translation can vary depending on the length and complexity of the text. However, I will do my best to review it as quickly as possible without compromising the quality of the review.

3. Can you also check for grammatical errors in my translation?

Yes, I can certainly check for any grammatical errors in your translation. As a scientist, I have a strong understanding of language and can provide feedback on grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.

4. Will you provide suggestions for improvement in my translation?

Yes, I will provide constructive feedback and suggestions for improvement in your translation. My goal is to help you create the most accurate and effective translation possible.

5. Is my translation confidential and secure with you?

As a scientist, I understand the importance of confidentiality. Your translation will be kept secure and will not be shared with anyone without your consent.