Can You Imagine a Fourth Dimension?

In summary, the video is poorly made with poor audio quality, and does not adequately explain the concept of 4 dimensions.
Gebri Mishtaku
Hey there peers :smile:
I'm really keen on explaining science to others and I've been practicing it with my classmates lately, so I thought why not give it a try and make my first ever youtube video about a seemingly hard concept which is a space of 4 dimensions. I made this post just because I want to get constructive criticism from you out there that may be more familiar with the topic. So here's the link to it http://youtu.be/zT44y-jD2rk Hope you can be objective and keep in mind that I'm not targeting the explanation to a mathematically mature audience, but to the average teenager.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I can say for sure is that the quality of the audio is terrible. I can understand what you are saying but it's too much of an effort. Secondly, I think you shouldn't use your laptop's built in microphone for such things. Lastly, instead of showing your face to the audience, use diagrams or drawings in the video to illustrate your points.

Gebri Mishtaku said:
Hey there peers :smile:
I'm really keen on explaining science to others and I've been practicing it with my classmates lately, so I thought why not give it a try and make my first ever youtube video about a seemingly hard concept which is a space of 4 dimensions. I made this post just because I want to get constructive criticism from you out there that may be more familiar with the topic. So here's the link to it http://youtu.be/zT44y-jD2rk Hope you can be objective and keep in mind that I'm not targeting the explanation to a mathematically mature audience, but to the average teenager.

I don't think you have understood topology that much, and furthermore, I don't know where you get the idea of "4 dimensions" from, but it is certainly not the 3 space + 1 time dimensions that is described in Special Relativity.

I think before you try to "teach" or explain something to others, you need to make sure you understand it at a higher level than the level you intend to explain it to. Certainly try to understand it first before you make a video out of it.

Zz.

@ZapperZ Thank you so much for responding! Actually, the one problem that came up in my mind while concocting the idea of the 4D space was to depict it differently from the 4 dimensional Minkowski space, because I knew that would just cause confusion, so I didn't even touch upon the subject in the video and didn't mention time at all. To add, I just wanted to give a different view of a supposed-4D world because every other video I've ever come across just put tesseracts in front of the viewer's face, so I thought hitting the problem with dimensional analogy would make it easier. Anyways, I really appreciate your comment :)

Hello fellow scientist,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for explaining science and your willingness to make a video about a complex topic like the 4th dimension. It's always great to see scientists sharing their knowledge with others.

After watching your video, I have a few suggestions for improvement. Firstly, I would recommend providing some background information on the concept of dimensions and why the 4th dimension is important in the scientific world. This will help your audience understand the relevance and significance of the topic.

Additionally, I would suggest using more visuals and examples to help explain the concept. For example, you could use a simple animation or drawing to show how a 4th dimension might look like. This will make it easier for your audience to visualize and understand the concept.

Furthermore, I would advise using simpler language and avoiding technical jargon as much as possible. This will make the video more accessible to a wider audience, including teenagers.

Overall, I think your video is a great effort and with some improvements, it could be a great resource for explaining the 4th dimension to the general public. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to continue learning and refining your explanations. Science communication is an important skill and I applaud your efforts to share your knowledge with others.

Best of luck with your future videos!

Sincerely,

Related to Can You Imagine a Fourth Dimension?

What is the 4th dimension?

The 4th dimension is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a dimension beyond the three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) that we are familiar with. It is often referred to as time or spacetime.

Can humans jump to the 4th dimension?

No, humans cannot physically jump to the 4th dimension. Our bodies and brains are not equipped to perceive or interact with higher dimensions.

What is the significance of jumping to the 4th dimension?

Jumping to the 4th dimension is a thought experiment used by scientists to understand and explore the possibilities of higher dimensions. It helps us understand the complex nature of our universe and how it may behave in higher dimensions.

How can we visualize the 4th dimension?

It is impossible for humans to visualize the 4th dimension because our brains are limited to perceiving three dimensions. However, there are mathematical models and computer simulations that can help us conceptualize the 4th dimension.

Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of the 4th dimension?

While the concept of the 4th dimension is widely accepted in theoretical physics, there is currently no experimental evidence for its existence. Scientists continue to study and investigate the idea of higher dimensions through mathematical models and theories.