Can You Help Me Understand Reflected Waves and Power in Conductors?

In summary, the concept of reflected waves and reflected power inside conductors can be confusing, especially when learning about antennas. While imagining AC current flow inside a conductor, it may seem that current cannot be reflected. However, when focusing on how the fields move around the antenna, it becomes easier to understand the concept and how impedance matching plays a role. A helpful resource for visualizing this is a video explaining waves and impedance matching.
CraigH
I am currently studying antenna's and the concept of reflected waves and reflected power inside conductors really confuses me.

When I imagine an AC current flow inside a conductor I imagine all the electrons to have an equilibrium position before the AC voltage is applied, and then once it is applied all the electrons oscillate back and forwards in phase with the AC voltage sin wave that was applied.
If you measure the current at any point in this conductor you will see that the current is positive (meaning the charge inside the conductor has a net flow in one direction) then it will be zero, and then it will be negative (meaning the charge inside the conductor has a net flow in the other direction). If you measure the current at two different points along this conductor the waves you get will be exactly the same, meaning all the electrons are moving in one direction, then stopping, and then moving in the other direction at the same time.

If this is the case then I do not understand how current can be reflected and you can get reflected power, and standing waves. However these these things are constantly mentioned in my RF Engineering and Electromagnetism lectures, particularly when talking about antenna's.

Will some one please help? It will be much appreciated!

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, This video has helped explain waves and impedance matching better than any lecturer or even modern video or animation ever has.

Related to Can You Help Me Understand Reflected Waves and Power in Conductors?

1. What are electric waves?

Electric waves, also known as electromagnetic waves, are a type of wave that consists of both electric and magnetic fields oscillating perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation. These waves are generated by the acceleration of electrically charged particles and can travel through a vacuum.

2. How are electric waves created?

Electric waves are created when electrically charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated. This acceleration creates a disturbance in the electric field, which then propagates through space as a wave. Examples of processes that can create electric waves include the movement of electrons in an antenna or the acceleration of charged particles in a lightning bolt.

3. What is the relationship between electric waves and light?

Electric waves and light are both forms of electromagnetic radiation. Light is a specific type of electromagnetic wave that is visible to the human eye, while electric waves encompass a broader range of wavelengths that include both visible and non-visible light. However, both electric waves and light share similar properties, such as being able to travel through a vacuum at the speed of light.

4. How do electric waves interact with matter?

When electric waves encounter matter, they can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The interaction between electric waves and matter depends on the frequency of the wave and the properties of the material. For example, materials that are transparent to visible light, such as glass, allow light waves to pass through, but may absorb or reflect other frequencies of electric waves.

5. What are the practical applications of electric waves?

Electric waves have numerous practical applications in modern technology. They are used in communication systems, such as radio and television, to transmit information over long distances. Electric waves are also used in medical imaging, such as X-rays and MRI, for diagnostic purposes. Additionally, electric waves are utilized in household appliances, such as microwaves and Wi-Fi routers, to provide wireless connectivity.