Can you help me choose my maths options?

• Thread starter Venomily
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary: Quantum Information TheoryIn summary, if you are interested in pursuing a PhD in quantum computation, you should focus on taking modules that will provide you with a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics. Some possible modules to consider are listed above, but ultimately the decision should be based on your interests and future research goals.
Venomily
I am studying Discrete Mathematics and if I do a PhD I would like to base the research on or around quantum computation. Unfortunately I can't take any physics modules at all, so please ignore the physics modules on the pages; I can only pick from the maths modules.

-----------------------------------------------

Modules for 2nd year:
pick a maximum of 5 from these
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year2

1. Algebra I: Advanced linear algebra
2. Combinatorial Optimization

the above two modules are determined already, so please ignore them.

------------------------------------------------

Modules for 3rd year:
pick a maximum of 6 from these
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year3/
this can be anything from maths.

------------------------------------------------And just a side question:

am I even allowed to study quantum computation post degree? I thought for masters/PhD study they train you (within reason), and apparently you only need a basic understanding of quantum mechanics to work within quantum computation... so it's not as if I need a WHOLE physics degree or WHOLE mathematics degree; besides, my degree is effectively 60-70% mathematics, the rest is 'mathematical' CS.
Thanks guys, I'm just trying to get some ideas with regards to what modules I should take. I will not take any of your words as gospel so you do not have to carry the burden of deciding my future career :).

EDIT: and as you can obviously tell, I do not know much about the mathematics behind quantum computation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can certainly study quantum computation post-degree, and you don't need to have a whole physics or mathematics degree. Quantum computation is a combination of mathematics and physics, so it is important to have a basic understanding of both fields. Depending on what kind of research you are interested in, some of the modules you could consider taking include:1. Differential Equations2. Advanced Analysis3. Numerical Analysis4. Mathematical Methods for Quantum Mechanics5. Algebraic Topology6. Complex Analysis7. Graph Theory

Related to Can you help me choose my maths options?

1. What are the available math options for me to choose from?

There are typically several math options available for students to choose from, depending on the curriculum and level of education. These may include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, statistics, and others. It is important to speak with your academic advisor or math teacher to determine which options are best suited for your academic goals and abilities.

2. What are the prerequisites for each math option?

Each math option may have different prerequisites, or courses that must be completed before taking the chosen option. For example, calculus typically requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It is important to review the course requirements and prerequisites to ensure you are adequately prepared for your chosen math options.

3. How will my math options affect my future career choices?

Math is an important subject in many fields, and the math options you choose in school can have a significant impact on your future career choices. For example, if you are interested in pursuing a career in engineering, taking higher level math courses such as calculus and statistics may be beneficial. It is important to consider your career goals and speak with a guidance counselor or career advisor for advice on which math options to choose.

4. Can I change my math options if I find them too difficult?

In most cases, it is possible to change your math options if you find them too difficult. However, it is important to speak with your academic advisor or math teacher first to determine the best course of action. They may be able to provide additional support or resources to help you succeed in your chosen math options.

5. Are there any extracurricular activities or resources available to help me with my math options?

Many schools offer extracurricular activities or resources to help students with their math options. These may include math clubs, tutoring programs, or online resources. It is important to take advantage of these opportunities to gain a better understanding of your chosen math options and improve your math skills.