Can You Give Examples of Industrial Processes That Depend on Gas Pressure?

In summary, the conversation is about finding two industrial processes that use and depend on gas pressure or the change in gas pressure for a report. The individual had initially thought of using the Haber process but realized it did not fit the criteria. They were seeking examples and brief explanations for such processes and had tried researching but could not find anything specific. The conversation also touches on the debate of whether asking for examples is considered asking someone to do their work. Eventually, the individual finds a helpful example of using Boyle's Law in designing gas compressors for an ammonia plant.
dee 123
Hello
can someone please give me an example of TWO industrial process which uses and depends on gas pressure or the change in gas pressure. Basically did this but instead wrote about gas Laws uses in different things so have to re do it (didn't read the question as we were learning about gas laws ,so thought ,it was on that ). I have to write a report. Thought of doing the Haber process
don't know if it's right. I'm not asking people to do my work for me just give me the two examples and brief explanation why the depend on gas pressure. I would really appreciate it if you do this for me as soon as possible (i got two days ) please .
THANK You for taking the time to read this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
dee 123 said:
I'm not asking people to do my work for me just give me the two examples and brief explanation why the depend on gas pressure.

I don't get how this is not asking people to do your work for you.

phinds said:
I don't get how this is not asking people to do your work for you.

Because i have to write a detailed report and i don't think asking someone for a brief explanation and an example is exactly doing my work

dee 123 said:
Because i have to write a detailed report and i don't think asking someone for a brief explanation and an example is exactly doing my work

Fair enough, but it does seem like asking someone to do your research for you. Could be I'm being too picky. I've been known to do that :smile:

What have you tried on your own to identify a couple such processes?

phinds said:
Fair enough, but it does seem like asking someone to do your research for you. Could be I'm being too picky. I've been known to do that :smile:

What have you tried on your own to identify a couple such processes?

i'v tried the Haber process but couldn't d this because it uses Le Chatlier's Principle as i need to talk about Boyle law ,pressure law or Charles law in my report (properly should of mentioned that ).
i did some research and all that i came up with was hot air balloons ,scuba equipment and combustion engine and i don't think any of these are INDUSTRIAL PROCESSES so i can't do them and still working on finding an example so help will be appreciated if have any examples

Thank you

Have you even tried Googling "industrial processes that depend on gas pressure " ?

phinds said:
Have you even tried Googling "industrial processes that depend on gas pressure " ?

YEAH couldn't find anything .

dee 123 said:
YEAH couldn't find anything .

I find that quite astounding since it gave me over 10 pages of stuff. I'm sure a lot of it would be useless for you needs but I find it HIGHLY unlikely that there aren't a couple of good examples in there.

phinds said:
I find that quite astounding since it gave me over 10 pages of stuff. I'm sure a lot of it would be useless for you needs but I find it HIGHLY unlikely that there aren't a couple of good examples in there.

Well I'm still researching as the ones i did find weren't specific or couldn't understand or had nothing to with the and of the gas laws I've studied

The Haber process is an excellent example. There are compressors used to bring the gases up to reaction pressure, and these certainly depend on the gas laws. There is also high pressure reaction that occurs that is limited by the equilibrium constant for the reaction, and where the design of the (catalytic) reactor makes use of reaction kinetics relationships.

Other applications you should consider are air conditioning equipment.

Chestermiller said:
The Haber process is an excellent example. There are compressors used to bring the gases up to reaction pressure, and these certainly depend on the gas laws. There is also high pressure reaction that occurs that is limited by the equilibrium constant for the reaction, and where the design of the (catalytic) reactor makes use of reaction kinetics relationships.

Other applications you should consider are air conditioning equipment.

Thank you but i can't use Haber process because i need an Industrial process which uses Boyle law or Charles law or pressure law . If you have any examples of INDUSTRIAL PROCESS using these gas laws please share .
It would help a lot
Thank You again

dee 123 said:
Thank you but i can't use Haber process because i need an Industrial process which uses Boyle law or Charles law or pressure law . If you have any examples of INDUSTRIAL PROCESS using these gas laws please share .
It would help a lot
Thank You again

What laws do you think you use when you design a compressor?

Chestermiller said:
What laws do you think you use when you design a compressor?

i'v checked out gas compressor and i think it uses Boyle Law ?
i think . If this is right then that's one example that i could use for my work.
Thank you

dee 123 said:
i'v checked out gas compressor and i think it uses Boyle Law ?
i think . If this is right then that's one example that i could use for my work.
Thank you
I personally worked on design modifications to an ammonia plant, and the gas compressors were turbine compressors designed in three stages, with intercooling. The compression was approximated as adiabatic compression within each stage, and so the general gas law was used, including corrections for non-ideal gas behavior.

Chestermiller said:
I personally worked on design modifications to an ammonia plant, and the gas compressors were turbine compressors designed in three stages, with intercooling. The compression was approximated as adiabatic compression within each stage, and so the general gas law was used, including corrections for non-ideal gas behavior.

Thank you this was so helpful

Related to Can You Give Examples of Industrial Processes That Depend on Gas Pressure?

What is an example of industrial process?

An example of an industrial process is the production of steel. This involves converting iron ore into steel through a series of steps such as smelting, refining, and casting.

What are the steps involved in an industrial process?

The steps involved in an industrial process can vary greatly depending on the specific process. However, they typically involve raw material preparation, chemical reactions, separation and purification, and product formation.

What is the purpose of industrial processes?

The purpose of industrial processes is to transform raw materials into useful products on a large scale. This is often done through various chemical and physical processes to create products that are essential to our daily lives.

How do industrial processes impact the environment?

Industrial processes can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. While they provide necessary products, they can also produce harmful emissions and waste. Many industries have implemented sustainable practices to minimize their environmental impact.

What is the role of technology in modern industrial processes?

Technology plays a crucial role in modern industrial processes. It has allowed for more efficient and cost-effective production, as well as improved safety and environmental sustainability. Many industries continue to innovate and adopt new technologies to enhance their processes.