Can You Find All Triangle Angles from 2 Sides?

In summary: So it is possible to determine the angles in a triangle if we only know the length of two sides?Yes, it is possible to determine all the angles in a triangle if we only know the length of two sides.
skrat

Homework Statement

Is it possible to determine all the angles in a triangle, if we only know the length of two sides?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking for quite some time and I don't think it is possible. It probably is, if two sides are peprendicular but if not, I don't think so.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how you relate the sides and angles of a triangle?

You mean the definition of the dot product?

##\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b}=\left \| \vec{a} \right \|\left \| \vec{b} \right \|cos\theta ##

Would be great yeah, but I don't have the coordinates. I only have the length of the sides.

A modified version of that dot product called the cosine rule comes in handy for this. Have you studied this?

I have.

##c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos\theta ##

But this is a "system" of one equations with two parameters. How would you reduce the number of parameters, or better; how would you find the length of the third side?

Don't you know all the sides, as in the problem?

Hah. Ok, there is a mistake in the original post. I apologize.
I only know the length of TWO sides. (I will edit my first post)

You can use the law of Sines as well. I think you can eliminate the third side by using an expression for it derived from law of sines.

I can eliminate the third side but than I get another angle inside the equation.

##\frac{a}{sin\alpha }=\frac{b}{sin\beta }=\frac{c}{sin\gamma }##
and
##c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos\gamma##

gives me ##(a\frac{sin\gamma }{sin\alpha })^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos\gamma##

Let ##b, c## be two sides of a triangle with known lengths and let ##\alpha## be the angle between them. Now consider each ##\alpha \in (0, \pi)##.

Not at all possile to know the angle of triangle with two sides known.There will e infinite number of solutions .
Just think how will you first draw the trianle with two lengths are known.First draw one line whose length is known.Then try to draw the second line starting from on edge of the first line.This second line can be drawn at any angle zero to 360 deg.So that will result in infinite number of lines .So finally finished triange will have will have infinite solutions.

If you know the length of two sides and the angle between those two, you can figure it out. If you know the length of two sides and the angle between one of them and the third side, you can narrow it down to two possibilities. If you don't know /any/ angles, though, there's nothing you can do.

Yup, I thought this may be the case yeah. :/

Ok, thanks!

Related to Can You Find All Triangle Angles from 2 Sides?

What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how does it relate to finding triangle angles from 2 sides?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical equation that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to find the missing side lengths of a right triangle, and in turn, can help find all the angles of the triangle.

Can you find all the angles of a triangle if you only know the lengths of 2 sides?

Yes, it is possible to find all the angles of a triangle if you know the lengths of 2 sides. This can be done by using the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines, which are mathematical formulas that relate the lengths of the sides and the angles of a triangle.

What is the Law of Cosines and how is it used to find triangle angles from 2 sides?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical formula that relates the lengths of the sides of a triangle to its angles. It states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the included angle. This formula can be rearranged to solve for the angles of a triangle if the lengths of two sides and the included angle are known.

Can you use the Law of Sines to find all the angles of a triangle from 2 sides?

Yes, the Law of Sines can also be used to find all the angles of a triangle from 2 sides. This formula states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of its opposite angle is equal to the same ratio for the other two sides and angles. By rearranging this formula, the angles of a triangle can be solved for if the lengths of two sides and the opposite angle are known.

Are there any limitations to using the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines to find triangle angles from 2 sides?

Yes, there are limitations to using these formulas. They can only be used for solving triangles with known side lengths and angles. Additionally, they are not applicable for all types of triangles, such as obtuse or equilateral triangles. These formulas also assume that the given sides and angles are accurate, which may not always be the case.