Can you answer this unanswerable question?

• Thread starter WingZero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of who created God and presents different perspectives. Some believe that God has always existed while others suggest that God could have created himself. Additionally, the concept of time is explored, with the idea that God and the soul exist outside of time. The poem "Big fleas have little fleas" is also referenced, implying an infinite chain of creation.
Originally posted by phoenixthoth
and is that when x-rays began to exist?

But were not talking about x-rays.

Physics news on Phys.org
that's very convienient of you to now, rather than before, profess that there is no comparison. why change your mind about how relevant x-rays are now rather than before when i originally asked about them?

that's very convienient of you to now, rather than before, profess that there is no comparison. why change your mind about how relevant x-rays are now rather than before when i originally asked about them?

because we weren't and aren't talking about x-rays. We are talking about the IDEA of x-rays

is your claim that man created God or created the idea of God?

The idea of god.

No one created God. God has always been here. God = Infinite
There is no beginning to God nor any end to God.

Originally posted by Death
No one created God. God has always been here. God = Infinite
There is no beginning to God nor any end to God.

Oh look here; a sweeping, unsupported claim backed by absolutely nothing but "a feeling".

God is a complex, a psychological need of humans. Believing in something does not make it true.

by the same token, disbelieving something doesn't make it false.

by the same token, disbelieving something doesn't make it false.

No but it does seem reasonable to limit belief to that which can be confirmed by observation.

does one observe their "feelings"?

does one observe their "feelings"?

I'm not sure, what are feelings?

Who made whom. God's on first.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Who made whom. God's on first.

humans made god, of course.

?

Oh look here; a sweeping, unsupported claim backed by absolutely nothing but "a feeling".

the belief that humans created God is a complex, a psychological need of humans. Believing in something does not make it true.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deeviant:The idea of god.
Deeviant:humans made god, of course.

the belief that humans created God is a complex, a psychological need of humans. Believing in something does not make it true.

Originally posted by Deeviant
Because by definition, a idea must originate from a human. The concept of a god is a idea, therefore it is created by man.

I don't think my statement is driven by feelings.

humans made god, of course.

what's the "proof" of this statement?

Could there exist beings superior to humans who created a "God" concept superior to ours, and if so, what more might it include?

what's the "proof" of this statement?

Because by definition, a idea must originate from a human. The concept of a god is an idea, therefore it is created by man.

the quote i posted wasn't about the idea of god, it was god that humans supposedly created. what's the "proof" for what i quoted?

the quote i posted wasn't about the idea of god, it was god that humans supposedly created. what's the "proof" for what i quoted?

Its funny that you would have taken what I have said as meaning that humans have actually created a living, breathing god. Humans created the idea of god.

Last edited:
it's funny that you would have taken the topic of this thread to mean who created the idea of God. the topic of the thread is who created God? you answered "humans, of course" and so that's how i interpreted your interpretation of the question. who or what created God, now that we've "established" that humans created the idea of God?

i could be wrong of course about what the querant intended by asking the "unasnwerable" question...

it's funny that you would have taken the topic of this thread to mean who created the idea of God. the topic of the thread is who created God? you answered "humans, of course" and so that's how i interpreted your interpretation of the question. who or what created God, now that we've "established" that humans created the idea of God?

i could be wrong of course about what the querant intended by asking the "unasnwerable" question...

Yawn, conversing with you is like conversing with a recording. If you think believing that a magical alien created the universe and has ultimate control of everything is the most logical conclusion, then go for it. Just do me a favor, don't call it truth.

dodging the question, are we?

btw, i never claimed that nor called it truth.

dodging the question, are we?

btw, i never claimed that nor called it truth.

No, I'm not "dodging the question" I answered the question many times. You are unwilling or unable to accept reality. You constantly dogdge near every question I send you way, only sending my pointed, unrelated and completely meaningless questions back my way. I deal with reality, if you can not handle reality then you are free to make up whatever little world you need to make you happy.

then who created God? (to clarify: not the idea of God)

I don't know, what is god?

and you claim you're not dodging the question? ok... ?

you've been using the word god (i can recall at least three times you've used the word) so let's start by however you've been meaning it.

just so you don't think I'm dodging your question, which is in itself a dodge of my question, i will tell you that I'm an agnostic theist. that means i believe that what i know cannot be "proved" bascially by definition. i don't have a definition of God. a definition is a limit. to say "God created the universe" implies a duality between God, creation, and the process of creation; this is an error for they are all the same thing. one *could* use that (God:=creation=all that exists) as a definition but that, to me, is not a definition. so i don't have a definiton of God and it's purposefully left undefined, as i wrote, because that would be a limit on what the finite intellect of human can't grasp.

this is now further away from this thread topic and a tangent, but the agnostic part means, to me, that i believe no one will ever give a proof that either God exists or that God does not exist. the theist part is that i know God exists. i probably can't prove to you I'm not an artificially intelligent chat-bot or recording and so i have no hope of proving to you that God exists; nor would i try to because it would take something from you to know for sure whether there is a God.

back to me not having a definiton of God, and such, know that I'm not trying to convince you of anything nor am i claiming anything. there is a circularity in the definiton of the word set in mathematics (set=collection=aggregation=improper class=family=group=...=set) none of which elucidate what a set is for they are all basically synonyms. yet you can very well talk about their existence and their nature knowing that you haven't defined what you're talking about. it works in a similar way. it's also like if i look in the dictionary under cause and effect i get for cause something which produces and effect and for effect i get something resulting from a cause thus making one wonder what cause and effect really are. yet there is an intuitive sense for what a cause and effect is. so when you answer the question "who created God", try using that intuitive sense of what you think god is. (to clarify: who created god != who created the idea of god) that is the point of this thread and anything else is just crashing the thread. if you want to start a new thread on "can you answer this easily answerable question" regarding who created the idea of God, then by all means... a better discussion would come from why mankind created the idea of God. it's not as obvious in that case...

Alright, ready for your answer? Nobody created god, because as far as anybody knows, there is no god.

I'm not going to play the whole "but you can't prove/disprove it!" game. I can't disprove the tooth fairy as there just might be one well the ability to evade all observation but that still doesn't give the tooth fairy any sort of validity.

There is a reason why human's tend to cling onto a god idea so much, because it is comforting. It makes us feel good to imagine some force out there, something that created us and gave us purpose, something that gives us life after death(tm).

If god was just a coping tool, everything would be fine and dandy. Unfortunely, people do with "god" as they do with everything else: They bungle it up. Just look at the murder and mayhem caused around the world under the banner of one god or another.

edit: addition

Last edited:
i'm curious... why did you need me to define god in order for you to give the answer?

Nobody created god, because as far as anybody knows, there is no god.
i know that there is a god though you don't know that.

angels

Could there exist beings superior to humans who created a "God" concept superior to ours, and if so, what more might it include?

You mean like angels? If they were superior, there consciousness would also have to be. But then the question might be. Can mind create anything that is not part of what Reality might be?

i'm curious... why did you need me to define god in order for you to give the answer?

i know that there is a god though you don't know that.

Oh that did it, there must be a god because "you just know there is!" I'm converted! I think we can mark this when this argument has broken down into complete meaningless and the end of my involvement in it.

rader, the answer to your question is yes and deeviant is proving it in his/her mind.

An infinite Universe --> an infinity of beings --> infinitely superior Being(s).

Urantia

An infinite Universe --> an infinity of beings --> infinitely superior Being(s).

Yes and if you had an infinite amount of time you could read 2097 pages of fine print, "Urantia" it tells of the magnitude of it all.
3 118833 50113

I once got a letter personally responded to by the founders of Urantia, a cute septuagenarian couple. Theirs read as kind of a qualitative, feel-good physics, a hybrid of platitudes and scientific jargon.