Can x = a*sinh(t) be used for solving \int (1/((\sqrt{(x^2)+(a^2)}))^(3/2)*dx)?

In summary, the speakers discussed solving the integral \int (1/((\sqrt{(x^2)+(a^2)}))^(3/2)*dx) using the substitution x = a*tan(\varphi). They also mentioned trying other methods such as x=a\sinh t. One of the speakers apologized for initially writing the integral incorrectly and provided a solution with z=3.
zahero_2007
Hi , I solved [itex]\int (1/((\sqrt{(x^2)+(a^2)}))^(3/2)*dx)[/itex] using the substitution x = a*tan([itex]\varphi[/itex] I wonder if there are other methods to solve this problem?
* (2/3) is the power on the radical function

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the problem is
Integral ( x^2 + a^2 ) ^ (-3/4) dx ?

Is that correct ?

paulfr said:
So the problem is
Integral ( x^2 + a^2 ) ^ (-3/4) dx ?

Is that correct ?

Integral ( x^2 + z^2 )^(-3/2)dx I'm sorry I wrote the integral wrong in the first post

Last edited:
Attached is the solution with z=3
Cheers

Attachments

• CalcIntegration092811.JPG
    CalcIntegration092811.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 427
Thanks paulfr but I already said that I solved it with the same substitution x=a*tan(u). I'm asking whether another method exist to solve the integral

Try [itex] x=a\sinh t [/itex].

Related to Can x = a*sinh(t) be used for solving \int (1/((\sqrt{(x^2)+(a^2)}))^(3/2)*dx)?

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a function by replacing the original variable with a new one. This new variable is usually chosen to simplify the integrand or make it easier to integrate.

When is integration by substitution used?

Integration by substitution is used when the integrand contains a composite function, meaning a function within a function. It also may be used when the integrand contains a radical or a fraction, as these can be simplified using substitution.

How does integration by substitution work?

The process of integration by substitution involves four steps: 1) choosing a new variable and finding its derivative, 2) rewriting the integrand in terms of the new variable, 3) solving for the original variable in terms of the new variable, and 4) substituting the expression for the original variable back into the integral and solving.

What are the benefits of using integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution can simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. It also allows for the use of known integration techniques, such as the power rule or integration by parts, when they may not have been applicable before substitution.

Are there any limitations to integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution may not always work for every integral, as it relies on finding a suitable substitution that simplifies the integrand. Additionally, it can be a time-consuming process and may not always provide an exact solution, leading to the use of numerical methods for integration.