Can we Prove \lim_{n→∞}S_{n-1} = L Given \lim_{n→∞}S_{n} = L?

In summary, if we know that the limit of a sequence approaches a specific value, we can prove that the limit of the previous term in the sequence also approaches that same value. This can be shown using the Cauchy limit or the ε-N definition of limit.
Bipolarity
This might sound like a dumb question, but it's actually not too obvious to me. If we know that [itex] \lim_{n→∞}S_{n} = L [/itex], can we prove that [itex] \lim_{n→∞}S_{n-1} = L [/itex] ? I'm actually using this as a lemma in one of my other proofs (the proof that the nth term of a convergent sum approaches 0), but can't get around the proof of this not-so-obvious-but-still-quite-intuitive lemma.

I wrote down the Cauchy-definitions of both these limits, but have no idea how to deduce one from the other.

Thanks for all the help!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Bipolarity.

This seems like a bit of symbol shuffling but let m = n-1 and then consider lim m->infinity instead of lim n->infinity. Maybe I'm missing something though with what you are asking, but the nature of infinity should make the above hold.

chiro said:
Hey Bipolarity.

This seems like a bit of symbol shuffling but let m = n-1 and then consider lim m->infinity instead of lim n->infinity. Maybe I'm missing something though with what you are asking, but the nature of infinity should make the above hold.

Is there any way to be more rigorous, i.e. using the Cauchy limit?

BiP

That the limit exists implies that the Cauchy condition holds.

If you want a rigorous proof, using ε--N definition of limit, here it is.

If [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} S_n =L[/itex], it means that for any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] there exists [itex]N=N(\varepsilon)<\infty[/itex] such that for all [itex]n>N[/itex] the inequality [itex]|S_n-L|<\varepsilon[/itex] holds.

So, for any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] the inequality [itex]n>N(\varepsilon)+1[/itex] implies that [itex]n-1>N(\varepsilon)[/itex], so [itex]|S_{n-1}-L|<\varepsilon[/itex], which means that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} S_{n-1} =L[/itex].

Related to Can we Prove \lim_{n→∞}S_{n-1} = L Given \lim_{n→∞}S_{n} = L?

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sequence of numbers that continues infinitely. It is expressed in the form of a sum, with each term in the series being added together to form the next term.

2. How do you determine the convergence of an infinite series?

To determine the convergence of an infinite series, you can use various tests such as the Ratio Test, the Root Test, or the Integral Test. These tests involve checking the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases and can help determine if the series will converge or diverge.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series is one in which the sum of all the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a divergent infinite series is one in which the sum of the terms increases without bound as the number of terms increases.

4. Can an infinite series have more than one limit?

No, an infinite series can only have one limit. The limit of an infinite series is the value that the sum of its terms approaches as the number of terms increases. If there were multiple limits, the series would not have a clear direction of convergence.

5. Are there real-world applications of infinite series?

Yes, infinite series have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, infinite series are used to model natural phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population. They are also used in calculating complex financial equations and designing electrical circuits.