Can VW Bugs Really Run on Water? Experiments and Possibilities

In summary, the conversation is about a video of a car floating on water and the possibility of using a kit for VW bugs to keep the engine running while floating. One person is interested in the idea and another person shares a story about seeing a car floating in a flooded wash in Arizona. They also joke about Iceland and Bjork.
Physics news on Phys.org
OMG! I want one!

"This is Iceland. They think Bjork is normal 'ere." lol

Topher925 said:
OMG! I want one!

Which one ? or did you mean one of each ?:approve:

It's a new species of basilisk on steroids.

I heard they sell kits for VW bugs that raise the exhaust above water level, which allows them to keep the engine running while floating. I've never seen or heard of anyone using it that way. I have seen a car floating once when it tried to cross a flooded wash in Arizona. I can't remember if it was a bug or not, but it floated pretty well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB0lb401ZU

Related to Can VW Bugs Really Run on Water? Experiments and Possibilities

1. How do cars that run on water actually work?

Cars that can run on water, also known as water-powered cars, use a process called electrolysis to separate water into its two components, hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is then used as fuel to power the car's engine, while the oxygen is released into the atmosphere. This essentially turns water into a renewable and clean source of fuel for cars.

2. Are cars that run on water safe?

Yes, cars that run on water are safe to use. In fact, they are considered to be more environmentally friendly compared to traditional gasoline-powered cars, as they do not emit harmful pollutants into the air. In addition, the process of electrolysis does not involve any dangerous chemicals or emissions.

3. Can any car be converted to run on water?

Technically, any car can be converted to run on water. However, the process of converting a car to run on water can be complex and should only be done by trained professionals. It also depends on the specific make and model of the car, as some may be more suitable for conversion than others.

4. Are there any downsides to using cars that run on water?

One potential downside to using cars that run on water is the cost and availability of hydrogen fuel. Currently, there are limited refueling stations for hydrogen fuel, making it less convenient than traditional gasoline. Additionally, the technology for water-powered cars is still relatively new and may not be as reliable as traditional cars.

5. Are there any advancements being made in the development of cars that run on water?

Yes, there are ongoing advancements and research being done in the development of cars that run on water. This includes finding more efficient ways to produce and store hydrogen fuel, as well as improving the overall performance and reliability of water-powered cars. With continued advancements and investments, we may see more widespread use of these cars in the future.