Can Tom Ogle's Vapor Engine Claims Be Debunked?

In summary, The conversation is about trying to debunk Tom Ogle's claims about his vapor engine. The speaker has no experience in physics and is having trouble understanding the energy requirements of moving a 2.5 ton car 100 miles on 1 gallon of gasoline. They mention the energy density of gasoline and the efficiency of internal combustion engines. They also mention some equations but don't know how to use them. The conversation ends with a quote about the energy usage in modern cars.
aroc91

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework problem, but this section seems most applicable. I'm trying to debunk Tom Ogle's vapor engine claims.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Tom_Ogle%27s_Vapor_Fuel_System

However, I have no experience at all with physics and even with all the reading I did, I still can't figure it out. Ogle made the claim that he drove his 2.5 ton (2267 kg) car 100 miles (160 km) on 1 gallon (originally 200 miles on 2 gallons, I reduced it for simplicity's sake) of gas. I've looked up the energy density of gasoline (136 million joules/gallon), but I can't figure out how much energy it takes to move 2267

Also, just for the time being, I'm making the assumption (although incorrect) that the efficiency of an internal combustion engine is 100%. I can always multiply the final result by 0.3 to reflect the real world efficiency (more or less).

Homework Equations

F = m*a
W = F/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a joule is the work done by applying a force of 1 Newton over the distance of 1 meter, but the whole acceleration thing throws me off when I try to plug stuff in. I don't really know what to do with it. Sorry if this isn't deemed a proper attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
aroc91 said:

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework problem, but this section seems most applicable. I'm trying to debunk Tom Ogle's vapor engine claims.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Tom_Ogle%27s_Vapor_Fuel_System

However, I have no experience at all with physics and even with all the reading I did, I still can't figure it out. Ogle made the claim that he drove his 2.5 ton (2267 kg) car 100 miles (160 km) on 1 gallon (originally 200 miles on 2 gallons, I reduced it for simplicity's sake) of gas. I've looked up the energy density of gasoline (136 million joules/gallon), but I can't figure out how much energy it takes to move 2267

Also, just for the time being, I'm making the assumption (although incorrect) that the efficiency of an internal combustion engine is 100%. I can always multiply the final result by 0.3 to reflect the real world efficiency (more or less).

Homework Equations

F = m*a
W = F/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a joule is the work done by applying a force of 1 Newton over the distance of 1 meter, but the whole acceleration thing throws me off when I try to plug stuff in. I don't really know what to do with it. Sorry if this isn't deemed a proper attempt.

An interesting quote from the first section of the wiki article"

Our cars already capture almost all of it. There aren't any significant gains to be made, regardless of how 'optimized' the system is

With modern cars, the rule of thumb is 1/3 of the energy is used to move the car, 1/3 of the energy goes out the exhaust pipe as heat, 1/3 of the energy goes out through the radiator as heat. The energy referred to here is the chemical energy in the petrol [or gas if you must]

Perhaps wiki should be saying "Our cars already capture as much of the useful energy that they can".

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can Tom Ogle's Vapor Engine Claims Be Debunked?

1. How is energy used to move a car?

Energy is used to move a car in a variety of ways. The most common source of energy for cars is gasoline, which is converted into mechanical energy through the combustion process. This mechanical energy is then used to turn the wheels and move the car forward. In electric cars, energy from a battery is converted into electrical energy to power an electric motor, which then turns the wheels.

2. How much energy does it take to move a car?

The amount of energy needed to move a car varies depending on several factors, including the weight of the car, the speed at which it is traveling, and the type of engine. On average, a car will use around 15-30 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy to travel 100 miles. This equates to roughly 1 gallon of gasoline or 33.7 kWh of electricity.

3. How does the weight of a car affect the energy needed to move it?

The weight of a car has a significant impact on the amount of energy needed to move it. Heavier cars require more energy to accelerate and maintain speed, whereas lighter cars need less energy. This is because the engine has to work harder to overcome the force of gravity and the inertia of a heavier car. This is why car manufacturers are constantly looking for ways to make cars lighter without compromising safety.

4. How does speed affect the energy needed to move a car?

The speed at which a car is traveling also affects the amount of energy needed to move it. As a car goes faster, it experiences more air resistance, which requires more energy to overcome. This means that a car traveling at higher speeds will use more energy than the same car traveling at a slower speed. This is why cars are typically more fuel-efficient at lower speeds.

5. How does the type of engine affect the energy needed to move a car?

The type of engine in a car can have a significant impact on the amount of energy needed to move it. Traditional gasoline engines are less efficient than electric motors, which means they require more energy to move the car the same distance. This is why electric cars are becoming increasingly popular as they offer a more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly option for transportation.