Can this Steel tube size hold this weight safley?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on which steel tubing to use for a project that involves holding a weight of 30-40KG in a vertical position with a 40cm horizontal piece on top. They are considering two options, 65x35x2mm or 50x25x2mm, and are leaning towards the smaller tube but are unsure if it can hold the weight safely. However, they are advised to not seek safety assurances on an Internet forum and the thread is now closed.
Jman091
Hi, I need some advice on what steel tubing to go for. I have either 65x35x2mm or 50x25x2mm.

The steel tube is 2.4M & stays in upright/vertical position, with an extended 40cm long piece horizontal on top holding some weight between 30-40KG for some time.

I would like to go the 50x25x2mm as it's smaller & liter, but not sure if it can hold this weight safely.

If you could please advise if it's safe, or if I should go the larger tube?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is not a good idea to get assurances about safety on an Internet forum. Thread is closed.

Related to Can this Steel tube size hold this weight safley?

1. Can the steel tube size be determined solely based on its dimensions?

No, the weight capacity of a steel tube also depends on the material, manufacturing process, and any additional support or reinforcement.

2. How can I calculate the weight capacity of a steel tube?

The weight capacity of a steel tube can be calculated by considering its dimensions, material properties, and structural design. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure accurate calculations.

3. Is there a general rule of thumb for determining the weight capacity of a steel tube?

There is no one-size-fits-all rule for determining the weight capacity of a steel tube. It depends on various factors such as the type of load, the direction of the load, and the support conditions.

4. Can a steel tube of a smaller size hold the same weight as a larger tube?

Not necessarily. The weight capacity of a steel tube depends on its cross-sectional area, which is determined by its dimensions. A larger tube may have a higher weight capacity due to its larger cross-sectional area.

5. Are there industry standards for steel tube weight capacities?

Yes, there are industry standards and codes that provide guidelines for determining the weight capacity of steel tubes. These standards are based on scientific principles and are regularly updated to ensure safety and reliability.