Can the Work Done by an Inductor Exceed the Electrical Power Used to Make It?

In summary, the energy stored in an inductor is given by the formula \frac{1}{2}L\mathbf{I}^2, where L is the inductance in henries and I is the current in amps. The energy stored is not dependent on the speed at which the current is attained, but rather on the inductance and current. However, the speed at which the current can be attained can vary depending on the power supply. Multiplying the energy of the inductor by the frequency of the pulses should not exceed the overall electrical power R\mathbf{I}^2, assuming a power factor of 1. The time constant of any motor is the inductance divided by the resistance
kmarinas86
Energy stored in an inductor is equal to:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}L\mathbf{I}^2[/itex]

Where [itex]L[/itex] is the inductance in henries and [itex]I[/itex] is the current in amps.

The energy stored in the inductor doesn't depend on how fast the current is attained, just the fact that it has some inductance and some current.

However, how fast the current can be attained can very well depend on what is supplying the inductor with current. The timing of turning on and off of the inductor magnetic field affects how much work could done by it. So what if we take the energy of the inductor and multiply by the frequency of the pulses? This should not exceed overall electrical power [itex]R{I}^2[/itex] if current electromagnetic theory is correct.

Assuming power factor is 1 (or not assuming power factor is one), [itex]\frac{1}{2}Lf[/itex], where [itex]f[/itex] is frequency of on/off periods the inductor handles (to influence a magnetic rotor), cannot be greater than the resistance [itex]R[/itex] of the coil. Do I have this right?

For example it should be impossible that a coil of 1100 henries with 770 Ohms of resistance can switch its whole magnetic field (i.e. with the current throughout the whole length of the coil) on and off 1.4 times every second. Isn't this well understood in engineering literature (I hope it is)? So [itex]\frac{1}{2}Lf \le R[/itex]?

The time constant of any motor is simply inductance divided by resistance. This would mean that the time constant of the circuit times the frequency of the pulses cannot be greater than 2. Right?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello?

1/2*Inductance*(change of current from zero)^2/(time to change current) = power of an inductor

1/2*(Inductance/Resistance)*voltage*(change of current from zero)/(time to change current) = power of an inductor

(1/2*(time constant of circuit)/(time to change current))*voltage*(change of current from zero) = power of an inductor

power of inductor / electric power sent to coil = 1/2*(time constant of circuit)/(time to change current)

Last edited:
It just looks to me like you are mixing unrelated concepts there: Inductive devices don't have a high resistance, it would defeat their purpose. So you don't use ohm's law on them.

Related to Can the Work Done by an Inductor Exceed the Electrical Power Used to Make It?

1. What is induction and how does it work?

Induction is a process in which an electrical current is used to create a magnetic field, which then induces a current in a nearby conductor. This current can then be used to do work, such as powering a lightbulb or motor.

2. How does induction differ from traditional electrical power?

Traditional electrical power uses a direct current (DC) to supply energy, while induction uses alternating current (AC). In induction, the current is constantly changing direction, whereas in traditional power, it flows in only one direction.

3. What are the advantages of using induction for work?

Induction is more efficient than traditional power, as it reduces energy loss through heat. It also allows for the transfer of energy without direct contact, making it safer and more convenient for certain applications.

4. What types of work can be done via induction?

Induction can be used for a variety of tasks, including heating, lighting, and motor operation. It is commonly used in household appliances, transportation systems, and industrial machinery.

5. How does the amount of electrical power used impact the work that can be done via induction?

The amount of electrical power used will determine the strength of the magnetic field and, therefore, the amount of current induced. This can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the work being done, as well as the amount of energy consumed in the process.