Can the Product, Sum, and Quotient of Continuous Functions be Continuous?

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary: As long as the denominator is not zero, the quotient of two continuous functions will also be continuous. And you can replace the limit value with the value of the function at that point.
Benny
Hi, I would like to know if I can say that products, sums, and quotients of continuous functions are continuous. From what I can tell, what I've asked is the same as asking if the product, sums, quotients of limits 'work' and of course they do.

For example if lim(x->a)g(x) = c and lim(x->a)h(x) = d then lim(x->a)g(x)h(x) = cd. If I write c = g(a) and d = h(a) then lim(x->a)g(x)h(x) = g(a)h(a) and I've got continuity of g(x)h(x) at x = a?

The answer looks obvious but I'd like to make sure. Any input would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Hi, I would like to know if I can say that products, sums, and quotients of continuous functions are continuous. From what I can tell, what I've asked is the same as asking if the product, sums, quotients of limits 'work' and of course they do.

For example if lim(x->a)g(x) = c and lim(x->a)h(x) = d then lim(x->a)g(x)h(x) = cd. If I write c = g(a) and d = h(a) then lim(x->a)g(x)h(x) = g(a)h(a) and I've got continuity of g(x)h(x) at x = a?

The answer looks obvious but I'd like to make sure. Any input would be good thanks.

It looks good, but you need to be slightly more careful than this about the quotients.

Another (possibly better, but more advanced) way to approach this would be in the form of an "epsilon-delta" proof. Given a function f(x), continuity of f(x) means that given any [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] there exists [tex]\delta>0[/tex] such that: [tex]|x-x_0|<\delta[/tex] implies that [tex]|f(x)-f(x_0)|<\epsilon[/tex].

-Dan

topsquark said:
...[tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] there exists [tex]\delta>0[/tex] such that: [tex]|x-x_0|<\delta[/tex]...
Hmm, you forgot a zero in the inequality. :wink:
It should read:
[tex]0 < |x - x_0| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \varepsilon[/tex]

Ok thanks for the suggestions but if the denominator of the quotient is non-zero over the domain being considered then the quotient of two continuous functions is continuous isn't it? Isn't this just the quotient of limits but with b, c or whatever value of the limit is, replaced with f(something)? So instead of lim(x->a)d(x) = b, you just write d(a) in place of b.

VietDao29 said:
Hmm, you forgot a zero in the inequality. :wink:
It should read:
[tex]0 < |x - x_0| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \varepsilon[/tex]
For continuity you actually don't need the zero.

Benny said:
Ok thanks for the suggestions but if the denominator of the quotient is non-zero over the domain being considered then the quotient of two continuous functions is continuous isn't it? Isn't this just the quotient of limits but with b, c or whatever value of the limit is, replaced with f(something)? So instead of lim(x->a)d(x) = b, you just write d(a) in place of b.
Yes, that's right.

Related to Can the Product, Sum, and Quotient of Continuous Functions be Continuous?

1. What is continuity in math?

Continuity in math refers to the unbroken flow or connection of a function or graph. It means that there are no gaps or jumps in the values of the function, and it can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it meets three criteria: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and 3) the limit at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but a function must be continuous to be differentiable.

4. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable at a specific point if there is a sharp turn or corner in the graph at that point. For example, the absolute value function is continuous but not differentiable at x = 0.

5. How do you prove a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you must show that it meets the three criteria for continuity: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and 3) the limit at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. You can use the epsilon-delta definition of continuity or the continuity laws to prove continuity.