Can the Parabolic Cylinder Function Solve a 2nd Order D.E. with a Constant?

• Thread starter hotcommodity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2nd order
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a second-order differential equation with a constant, K, and a function, \phi, in terms of \eta. The person asking for help mentions that the equation may be related to special functions, such as Bessel and parabolic cylinder functions, and is seeking guidance on how to solve it. The other person responds by suggesting researching special functions and providing information on how this equation relates to quantum mechanics and the harmonic oscillator.
hotcommodity

Homework Statement

[tex] \frac{d^2\phi(\eta)}{d\eta^2} = (\eta^2 - K) \phi(\eta) [/tex]

Where K is essentially a constant, K = 2n + 1 (n is an integer).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin since [tex]\phi[/tex] is a function of [tex]\eta[/tex]. A push in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stuff that looks like that usually wind up having solutions that are special functions (like Bessel etc). That appears to be a parabolic cylinder function. I got that by creative googling. It may have a simpler form for the case K = 2n + 1. Don't know. But that will give you a start for researching it. What kind of course is this? Are you supposed to be able solve it simply?

Thanks for the reply. This is for my quantum mechanics course, and the equation I set up relates to solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the harmonic oscillator in momentum-space. My textbook solved a similar DE using Hermite polynomials, but I was hoping there was a simpler solution. I'll search for special functions & "parabolic cylinder function." Thanks again for the reply.

Related to Can the Parabolic Cylinder Function Solve a 2nd Order D.E. with a Constant?

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

Why is solving a 2nd order differential equation challenging?

Solving a 2nd order differential equation can be challenging because it requires a combination of mathematical techniques and problem-solving skills. It also involves finding the general solution, which may involve a combination of different functions and constants.

What are some common methods for solving a 2nd order differential equation?

Some common methods for solving a 2nd order differential equation include separation of variables, substitution, and using a series solution. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions.

What are some real-world applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations have many real-world applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the flow of electricity in an electrical circuit. They are also used in engineering, physics, and economics to describe various physical phenomena and systems.

How can I check if my solution to a 2nd order differential equation is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can check if your solution satisfies any initial or boundary conditions given in the problem.