Can the moon orbit be used as perpetual motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a perpetual motion machine using the Earth's orbit to turn a giant gear and generate energy. However, this idea is deemed impractical and unfeasible due to the limited amount of energy that can be extracted from an orbit and the eventual consequences, such as the Earth becoming tidally locked with the Moon. Additionally, it is noted that an orbit is not a propelling force, but rather a result of gravitational forces acting on an object.
Enniss
I'll attach a picture of what I mean but essentially I wanted to know if it was possible to (under circumstances where the Earth and moon do not change angle of rotation when orbiting the sun) create a perpetual motion machine using orbit as a means to turn a giant gear circling the Earth in order to create energy?
47bea0dd5f475e34e7aedb43b658eac2

If the answer is obvious I am sorry but I was just wondering about it and I don't follow physics very well

thanks

for some reason the IMG isn't posting so here's the link
https://gyazo.com/47bea0dd5f475e34e7aedb43b658eac2

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Enniss said:
I'll attach a picture of what I mean but essentially I wanted to know if it was possible to (under circumstances where the Earth and moon do not change angle of rotation when orbiting the sun) create a perpetual motion machine using orbit as a means to turn a giant gear circling the Earth in order to create energy?

If the answer is obvious I am sorry but I was just wondering about it and I don't follow physics very well

thanks

for some reason the IMG isn't posting so here's the link
https://gyazo.com/47bea0dd5f475e34e7aedb43b658eac2
That looks really expensive and impractical. Fear not, though, because we already have something that does the same thing: tidal power.

But please note that tidal power is considered "renewable" which is commonly presumed to mean "perpetual", but really isn't.

Likes gneill and anorlunda
An orbit doesn't "propel" the orbiting object. The object is just continuously falling and missing the ground :wink:

Every orbit has a finite amount of mechanical energy associated with it. Steal the energy from an orbit and eventually you don't have an orbit anymore, you've got two colliding objects.

At least @russ_watters ' tidal power offering has limits on how much energy can be stolen (it's a very big amount, but still limited). Eventually the (Lunar) tides will cease when the Earth's rotation becomes tidally locked with the Moon's orbit. The Earth will then always present the same face to the Moon. I wonder which hemisphere will inherit the Moon? Don't bother placing bets, the outcome won't be known for some billions of years.

Likes krater and davenn
Even if we could design and build such a device, it would slowly pull the Moon towards the Earth as it saps gravitational potential energy from the Moon. So no perpetual motion here.

Likes davenn
Apart from all the other problems, may I just object to the statement that, "the orbit propels moon."
An orbit is simply a description of where something goes. What causes it to go there are things like the force of gravity from the earth.
If you add other forces, such as pulling on a wire, then you will change the orbit. The orbit is a result, not a cause.

Likes krater, davenn and gneill
gneill said:
The Earth will then always present the same face to the Moon.

Only if the Earth-Moon system survives the death of the Sun.

BoB

1. Can the moon's orbit around the Earth be used as a perpetual motion machine?

No, the moon's orbit around the Earth cannot be used as a perpetual motion machine. Perpetual motion refers to a hypothetical machine that can continue moving indefinitely without any external energy input. The moon's orbit is sustained by the gravitational pull of the Earth and does not fit this definition.

2. Why can't the moon's orbit be used as a perpetual motion machine?

The moon's orbit around the Earth is not a perpetual motion machine because it is subject to external forces, such as the gravitational pull of the Earth and the other planets in our solar system. These forces affect the moon's orbit and require energy to maintain its motion.

3. Is it possible to use the moon's orbit as a source of unlimited energy?

No, it is not possible to use the moon's orbit as a source of unlimited energy. While the moon's orbit does involve kinetic energy, it is not a sustainable source of energy as it is constantly being depleted by the forces acting on the moon.

4. Can the moon's orbit be used to power a perpetual motion machine?

No, the moon's orbit cannot be used to power a perpetual motion machine. As mentioned before, perpetual motion machines violate the laws of thermodynamics and the moon's orbit is subject to external forces that require energy to maintain its motion.

5. Could a theoretical machine harness the moon's orbit and use it as a perpetual motion source?

No, a theoretical machine cannot harness the moon's orbit and use it as a perpetual motion source. This goes against the laws of physics and is not possible. The moon's orbit is sustained by the gravitational pull of the Earth and cannot be used as a source of unlimited energy.