Can the Measure Be Obtained from the Value of an Integral?

• Thread starter Kevin_spencer2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, we don't know what the measure is, but if we had a trial function U(x) so we could calculate I(a,b,M) for this U without recalling to the measure,either by numerical or other methods, we could obtain the form of the measure.
Kevin_spencer2
Let be a Lebesgue integral with a measure M on the interval (a,b) so:

[tex] \int_{a}^{b}dMf(x)=I(a,b,M) [/tex]

We don't know or can't say what M (measure) is , however my question is if we had a trial function U(x) so we could calculate I(a,b,M) for this U without recalling to the measure,either by numerical or other methods my question is if we could obtain the form of the measure , from the value of the integral:

[tex] \int_{a}^{b}dM\mathcal U(x) [/tex] ?.

I mean, to know the lebesgue integral you should know the measure, but if you knew the exact (or approximate) value of an integral could you extract the measure from it?.

Physics news on Phys.org
A single function over a fixed interval? No. The measure has to be defined over each measurable set. Of course, it you knew the integral of f(x)= 1 over every measurable set, that would be the measure.

could we use the 'aximatic' result due to dirac delta function, or dirac measure? so:

[tex] \int_{a}^{b}dM\delta (x-c)=1 [/tex] with a<c<b (or a similar result)

I would be interested mainly in infinite-dimensional case so:

[tex] \int \mathcal [\phi] \delta (\phi) =1 [/tex] or similar.

If a,b are arbitrary, then this allows you to define a measure by setting:

[tex]\mu((a,b))=\int_{a}^{b}dMf(x)[/tex]

Then, since any open set is the countable disjoint union of open intervals, this extends uniquely to a measure on the open sets, and so also on the borel sets (the sigma algebra generated by the open sets).

This can be done for an arbitrary complex function f, although if f is not a non-negative function, what you get is not an ordinary positive measure, but what's called a complex measure. If f=1, then this recovers the lebesque measure (or whatever dM is).

thankx and a last question, if you have the multi-dimensional integral:

[tex] \int_{V}d\mathcal M f(X) [/tex]

where M is the measure and it's known then my question is how could you solve this integral by Numerical methods?, what happens in the infinite-dimensional case with a 'Gaussian measure' (the only that can be defined in a inifinite dimensional space) now that you have the measure and the integrand could you evaluate it by numerical metods?? even in the case that the space is infinite-dimensional (i.e function space)

Related to Can the Measure Be Obtained from the Value of an Integral?

1. What is the purpose of defining a measure?

Defining a measure allows us to quantify and evaluate a particular phenomenon or concept. It provides a standard unit of measurement that can be used to compare and analyze data.

2. How do we determine what measures to use?

The measures used will depend on the specific research question and the variables being studied. It is important to carefully consider the properties of each measure and how they relate to the research question.

3. What are the different types of measures?

There are several types of measures, including nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio. Nominal measures are used for categorical data, ordinal measures indicate a ranking or order, interval measures have a consistent unit of measurement, and ratio measures have a true zero point.

4. Can measures be subjective?

Some measures, such as self-report surveys, can be subjective as they rely on individuals' perceptions and opinions. However, efforts can be made to minimize bias and increase objectivity in the measurement process.

5. How do we ensure the accuracy of measures?

To ensure accuracy, measures should be reliable and valid. Reliability refers to consistency in measurement, while validity refers to the extent to which a measure accurately captures the concept being studied. Multiple measures and testing for consistency can help ensure accuracy.