Can the Harmonic Sum be Proven Using a Newer Method?

In summary, the following proof was provided in 1995 by D. Borwein and J. M. Borwein in their article on an intriguing integral and some series related to $\zeta(4)$. The solution is quite lengthy and complex, and the authors' hope was for someone to come up with a simpler approach. However, after some discussion and clarification, it was revealed that the original poster had in fact already solved the problem and was looking for a newer method.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Prove the following

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k\geq 1} \frac{H^2_k}{k^2}=\frac{17}{4}\zeta(4)=\frac{17\pi^4}{360}\)

\(\displaystyle \mbox{where }\,\,H^2_k =\left( 1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+\cdots \frac{1}{k}\right)^2\)​

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
Prove the following

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k\geq 1} \frac{H^2_k}{k^2}=\frac{17}{4}\zeta(4)=\frac{17\pi^4}{360}\)

\(\displaystyle \mbox{where }\,\,H^2_k =\left( 1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+\cdots \frac{1}{k}\right)^2\)​

The prove was supplied in the year 1995 by D. Borwein and J. M. Borwein in the article On an intriguing integral and some series related to $\zeta (4)$...

http://www.ams.org/journals/proc/1995-123-04/S0002-9939-1995-1231029-X/S0002-9939-1995-1231029-X.pdf

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Actually , I haven't even tried it . I was reading the paper and thought it is a good exercise. I will look for a solution of my own .

ZaidAlyafey said:
Actually , I haven't even tried it . I was reading the paper and thought it is a good exercise. I will look for a solution of my own .
Ouch! I thought that paper was pretty brutal. I could follow the work on the integral but got lost on the Corollary work. I was kind of hoping you had a newer (and simpler) view on the matter.

-Dan

ZaidAlyafey said:

Zaid,

When a problem is posted here in the Challenge Questions and Puzzles sub-forum, it is expected that you already have a solution ready to post after giving our members a fair amount of time to solve it, as per http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f28/guidelines-posting-answering-challenging-problem-puzzle-3875/.

MarkFL said:
Zaid,

When a problem is posted here in the Challenge Questions and Puzzles sub-forum, it is expected that you already have a solution ready to post after giving our members a fair amount of time to solve it, as per http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f28/guidelines-posting-answering-challenging-problem-puzzle-3875/.

I know the solution , it is in the paper . But it is very long and requires lots of things to work out . I was hoping for someone to post a newer method .

If that doesn't suit here , you can move the topic to an appropriate section .

ZaidAlyafey said:
I know the solution , it is in the paper . But it is very long and requires lots of things to work out . I was hoping for someone to post a newer method .

If that doesn't suit here , you can move the topic to an appropriate section .

No need, I interpreted your statement "I haven't even tried it" as meaning you had not attempted the problem. :D

Related to Can the Harmonic Sum be Proven Using a Newer Method?

What is the Harmonic sum?

The Harmonic sum is a mathematical series that involves adding the reciprocals of positive integers. It is denoted by Hn and can be written as 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n.

What is the formula for finding the Harmonic sum?

The formula for finding the Harmonic sum is Hn = 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n. This can also be written as Hn = Σi=1n 1/i, where Σ represents the summation symbol.

Why is the Harmonic sum important?

The Harmonic sum is important in mathematics as it helps to understand the concept of infinity and divergence. It also has applications in other fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What is the limit of the Harmonic sum?

The Harmonic sum has no limit. As n approaches infinity, the Harmonic sum diverges or goes to infinity. This means that the sum of reciprocals of positive integers will continue to increase without ever reaching a finite value.

Can the Harmonic sum be proven?

Yes, the Harmonic sum can be proven using mathematical induction. By assuming that the formula holds for a specific value of n and then proving that it holds for the next value of n, we can show that the formula holds for all positive integers. This proves the Harmonic sum.