Can the Extreme Value Theorem Apply to Function f on Interval [-3, 5]?

In summary, the given conditions of a continuous function f on a closed and bounded interval with f(-3)=6 and f(5)=-2 allow for the possible existence of a c such that f(c)=-1 and f(c)=0, according to the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem. Rolle's Theorem is not relevant. The Extreme Value Theorem guarantees the existence of absolute maximum and minimum values on a closed interval. Therefore, options (a), (c), and (e) are true, while options (b) and (d) could be false.
brizer
1. The problem: The function f is continuous for -3[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]5 and differentiable for -3<x<5. If f(-3)=6 and f(5)=-2, which of the following could be false?
(a) there exists c, where -3[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]5, such that f(c)[tex]\geq[/tex]f(x) for all on the closed interval -3[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]5.
(b) There exists c, where -3[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]5, such that f'(c)=-1
(c) There exists c, where -3[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]5, such that f(c)=-1
(d) There exists c, where -3[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]5, such that f'(c)=0
(e) There exists c, where -3[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]5, such that f(c)=0

2. Homework Equations : IVT, mean value theorem

3. The Attempt at a Solution : If f(-3)=6 and f(5)=-2, then folloing the IVT, there is a c such that f(c)=-1 and f(c)=0. Following the mean value theorem, (-2-6)/(6--2)=-8/8=-1=f'(c). That leaves options (a) and (d). The only other theorem I can think of relevant to closed intervals of continuous, differentiable functions is Rolle's theorem which is not relevant. I feel like option (a) must be a theorem I can't remember, but I couldn't find it in my book, so I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
A continuous function on a closed and bounded interval has a absolute maximum and minimum. This is the absolute max case. I'm don't think this theorem has a specific name.

One function that satisfies the given conditions is f(x)= 3- x

(b) There exists c, where -3[tex]\leq[tex]c[tex]\leq[tex]5, such that f'(c)=-1
Yes, that certainly could be false. In this example, f'(x)= -1 for all x

(d) There exists c, where -3[tex]\leq[tex]c[tex]\leq[tex]5, such that f'(c)=0
Yes, that certainly could be false.

The other three are, of course, true because of the intermediate value theorem (c and e) and the mean value theorem (a).

I understand, there must be a maximum and minimum on a closed interval, so there must be some c that makes f(c) greater than all f(x) for real numbers. (a), then, must also be true. Thank you!

Dick said:
A continuous function on a closed and bounded interval has a absolute maximum and minimum. This is the absolute max case. I'm don't think this theorem has a specific name.

It is called the Extreme Value Theorem (EVT).

carlodelmundo said:
It is called the Extreme Value Theorem (EVT).

Thank you!

Related to Can the Extreme Value Theorem Apply to Function f on Interval [-3, 5]?

What is F(c) on a closed interval?

F(c) on a closed interval refers to the value of the function F at a specific point c within a given interval, including the endpoints of the interval. It represents the output of the function at that particular input value.

How is F(c) on a closed interval calculated?

F(c) on a closed interval is calculated by plugging the value of c into the function F and evaluating the resulting expression. This may involve using algebraic operations, trigonometric functions, or other mathematical techniques to determine the final value.

What is the significance of F(c) on a closed interval?

F(c) on a closed interval can provide important information about the behavior of the function F within that interval. It can help identify maximum and minimum values, points of inflection, and other key features of the function.

Can F(c) on a closed interval be negative?

Yes, F(c) on a closed interval can be negative if the function F takes on negative values at the point c within the interval. This is often seen in functions that have a downward trend or decrease in value over the interval.

How can F(c) on a closed interval be used in real-life applications?

F(c) on a closed interval can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-life situations. It can help predict outcomes, optimize processes, and make informed decisions based on the behavior of the function within a given interval.