Can the Dot Product of Four Vectors Maintain Positive Component Signs?

In summary, this person wants a way to write the dot product using vector notation which keeps the signs of all of the components positive.
tomdodd4598
Hi there,

I understand that taking the dot product of two four vectors automatically applies the metric tensor to the second vector. Is there a way to take write the dot product, using vector notation, in a way which keeps the signs of all of the components positive?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand why you would like to keep signs positive ?

For simple metrics like flat minkowsky you can use (x, y, z, ict) as four vectors and use the standard dot product. But now you have an imaginary component, which many will consider even worse than negative :smile:.

And you are unhappy with co/contravariant notation too ?

BvU said:
Not sure I understand why you would like to keep signs positive ?

And you are unhappy with co/contravariant notation too ?

I am ok with the co/contra notation, it's just that I have a situation where I have two four vectors, A and B (in a Lagrangian), and would like a nice way to write A⁰B⁰+A¹B¹+A²B²+A³B³.

tomdodd4598 said:
I have a situation where I have two four vectors, A and B (in a Lagrangian), and would like a nice way to write A⁰B⁰+A¹B¹+A²B²+A³B³.

Why do you want a nice way to write that quantity? It doesn't contain any physics; the physical quantity is the dot product using the standard metric.

tomdodd4598 said:
I am ok with the co/contra notation, it's just that I have a situation where I have two four vectors, A and B (in a Lagrangian), and would like a nice way to write A⁰B⁰+A¹B¹+A²B²+A³B³.
There's no nice way to write this because, relativistically speaking, that quantity has no useful interpretation, as it is coordinate-dependent and different observers would disagree what its value was. On the other hand$$
g(\textbf{A}, \textbf{B}) = A_\mu B^\mu = A_0 B^0 + A_1 B^1 + A_2 B^2 + A_3 B^3
$$makes sense. If you really think you need to calculate the expression you gave, you've probably made a mistake in your calculation.

DrGreg said:
There's no nice way to write this because, relativistically speaking, that quantity has no useful interpretation, as it is coordinate-dependent and different observers would disagree what its value was. On the other hand$$
g(\textbf{A}, \textbf{B}) = A_\mu B^\mu = A_0 B^0 + A_1 B^1 + A_2 B^2 + A_3 B^3
$$makes sense. If you really think you need to calculate the expression you gave, you've probably made a mistake in your calculation.

A negative is missing there...

Matterwave said:
No, DrGreg's expression is correct.

Matterwave said:
The one or three negatives (depending on your metric sign convention) are hiding inside the subscript notation.

Yeah, you're right. :)

DrGreg said:
If you really think you need to calculate the expression you gave, you've probably made a mistake in your calculation.

You're right - I did ;)

Thanks for all the replies nonetheless.

Related to Can the Dot Product of Four Vectors Maintain Positive Component Signs?

What is the dot product of four vectors?

The dot product of four vectors is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is also known as the inner product or scalar product. The result of a dot product is a single number rather than a vector.

How is the dot product of four vectors calculated?

The dot product of four vectors is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of each vector and adding the results. This can be represented mathematically as a · b = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3 + a4b4, where a and b are the two vectors and a1, a2, a3, a4 and b1, b2, b3, b4 are their respective components.

What is the significance of the dot product of four vectors?

The dot product of four vectors has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate work, determine the angle between two vectors, and find the projection of one vector onto another. It also plays a crucial role in vector calculus and linear algebra.

What are the properties of the dot product of four vectors?

The dot product of four vectors has several important properties. These include commutativity (a · b = b · a), distributivity (a · (b + c) = a · b + a · c), and the fact that it is only equal to zero when one of the vectors is a zero vector. It is also related to the cosine of the angle between two vectors (a · b = |a||b|cosθ).

How is the dot product of four vectors used in physics?

The dot product of four vectors is commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force on an object, as well as to determine the direction of a force on an object. It is also used in fields such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics to calculate quantities such as electric potential and wave functions.