Can the Displacement Operator Rotate a Photonic State in Phase Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the displacement operator and how it can be implemented in a cavity with a photonic state inside. The use of this operator creates a coherent state rather than a photon Fock state. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of preparing a specific coherent state and suggests using time-dependent classical current or pulses to achieve this. The possibility of using pulses to displace the vacuum to a gaussian and the rotation of the gaussian is also discussed.
naima
Gold Member
Hi PF

I read the definition of the displacement operator:
##D(\lambda) = e^{\lambda a^\dagger - \lambda ^* a}##
but i did not find how this operator can be implemented say in a cavity with a photonic state inside.
Could you give me links?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danke Vanhees71
I read in this wiki
""...letting the unitary displacement operator D(α) operate..."
The problem is not to let it operate. The problem is to prepare a device which will enable an experimentalist to displace a sate by ##\alpha##
I read the external links at the end of the article but i did not find any device's
description. I think that it needs pulses but with which interaction?

Last edited:
I only know that lasers produce coherent states. How you prepare a given coherent state in detail, I cannot say :-(.

Mandel & Wolf (sect. 11.13, p568) give a derivation of the field produced by a time-dependent classical current, and show (iiuc) that it's a coherent state. As the current changes, the state changes continuously, but it's always a coherent state. I.e., changing the current is equivalent (in that case) to acting with a ##D(\alpha)##--like operator.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Thanks
I found the same in another book (Gerry and Knight)
http://qiqo.hznu.edu.cn/upLoad/down/month_1406/201406231000574799.pdf
Skip to "generating a coherent state" p52

Suppose that, using a pulse during t, i displace the vacuum to a gaussian centered around a point P in the phase space. This point will rotate in this plane. At a given moment the gaussian will be centerd around -P. If i apply the same pulse will the atom return to its vacuum?
If yes how can we know when we have to light the atom ?Edit
As i have many copies of the ground state |g> i can vary the ##\Delta t## between two pulses and for which it returms to |g> and know the rotation period.

Last edited:

Related to Can the Displacement Operator Rotate a Photonic State in Phase Space?

1. What is displacement in phase space?

Displacement in phase space refers to the change in position or location of a system in phase space, which is a mathematical representation of the state of a physical system. It is commonly used in the study of dynamical systems and can be described in terms of position and momentum or other relevant variables.

2. How is displacement in phase space calculated?

Displacement in phase space is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position in each dimension. This can be represented mathematically as Δx = x2 - x1 and Δp = p2 - p1, where x is position and p is momentum.

3. What is the significance of displacement in phase space?

Displacement in phase space can provide important information about the behavior and dynamics of a physical system. It can show how the system evolves over time and can be used to predict future states of the system. It is also useful for analyzing the stability and energy of a system.

4. How does displacement in phase space relate to conservation laws?

Displacement in phase space is closely related to the concept of conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum. This is because the change in position and momentum in phase space must follow the laws of conservation, meaning that the total displacement in phase space must remain constant.

5. Can displacement in phase space be negative?

Yes, displacement in phase space can be negative. This indicates that the system has moved in the opposite direction as its initial position. However, the magnitude of the displacement, regardless of direction, is what is most important in understanding the behavior of the system in phase space.