Can the Angular Dependence Be Ignored in the Hydrogen-Atom Radial Solution?

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radial
In summary, the radial equation is solved for the radial dependence only. The kinetic energy operator is dependent on all 3 dimensions, but can be separated using separation of variables.
aaaa202
Hi,
in an assignment I have to include the radial solution of the schrödinger-equation. That is, that you solve it for the radial dependence only. Now, I do get, that the force between the electron and nuclues depends only on r, but what I still don't get is why you can supress the angular dependence. Isn't the kinetic energy somehow affected by the angles? And if not, why is it either way, that you can assume that the wave function is a product of a radial dependent function and an angular dependent?
Now, I've seen that work in 1D separating the time dependence from the wave function in a stationary state, but this is not equivalent to that is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming it wants the radial solution for hydrogen atom. If so, then yes you can do separation of variables for the 3D Schrodinger equation of a hydrogen atom. You can find the solution standard in most QM textbooks or on the web.

Yes, I get that but you didn't answer my question.
WHY is it, that you can use separation of variables? Isn't the kinetic energy-operator dependent on the angular function?

The kinetic energy operator is a Laplacian and is dependent on all 3-dimensions as well. Please look up how to write a Laplacian in different coordinates. You can find the Laplacian in spherical coordinates here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_operator#Three_dimensions

If you use separation of variables on the wavefunction, you will also find you can separate the differential form of the kinetic energy operator as well. You can find this as I said before in a standard QM textbook.

Just googling it I found a nice step-by-step guide, where he shows how he separates the Schrodinger equation: http://www.physics.gatech.edu/frog/lectures/ModernPhysicsLectures/MP14HydrogenAtom.ppt

Last edited by a moderator:
aaaa202 said:
Hi,
in an assignment I have to include the radial solution of the schrödinger-equation. That is, that you solve it for the radial dependence only. Now, I do get, that the force between the electron and nuclues depends only on r, but what I still don't get is why you can supress the angular dependence. Isn't the kinetic energy somehow affected by the angles?
You don't ignore the angular dependence. There is a kinetic term that depends on the angular momentum, but it won't be part of the radial equation after separation.
And if not, why is it either way, that you can assume that the wave function is a product of a radial dependent function and an angular dependent?
Because it turns out the method works. You assume the form of the solution and try it out. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you toss the assumption and try something else. Fortunately, it works out in this case.
Now, I've seen that work in 1D separating the time dependence from the wave function in a stationary state, but this is not equivalent to that is it?
It's pretty much the same method. You assume the spatial and time dependence can be cleanly separated and try it out. It turns out it works, and you get a solution for the time dependence and the time-independent Schrodinger equation.

To isolate the radial equation, the mathematics is a bit more involved, so it's probably a good idea to consult a QM textbook, as nickjer suggested, just to see how the basic argument goes and then work it out yourself.

Related to Can the Angular Dependence Be Ignored in the Hydrogen-Atom Radial Solution?

1. What is the Hydrogen-atom radial solution?

The Hydrogen-atom radial solution is a mathematical expression that describes the probability of finding an electron at a given distance from the nucleus in a hydrogen atom. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics and is derived from the Schrödinger equation.

2. How is the Hydrogen-atom radial solution calculated?

The Hydrogen-atom radial solution is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the Hydrogen atom. This involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and integration to obtain a solution in terms of spherical harmonics and Bessel functions.

3. What is the significance of the Hydrogen-atom radial solution?

The Hydrogen-atom radial solution provides important information about the behavior and properties of electrons in a Hydrogen atom. It helps us understand the probability of finding an electron at a given distance from the nucleus and how this probability changes with different energy levels and quantum numbers.

4. How does the Hydrogen-atom radial solution relate to atomic orbitals?

The Hydrogen-atom radial solution is directly related to atomic orbitals. Each atomic orbital has a specific shape and energy level, and the Hydrogen-atom radial solution describes the probability of finding an electron in that specific orbital at a given distance from the nucleus.

5. Can the Hydrogen-atom radial solution be applied to other atoms?

Yes, the Hydrogen-atom radial solution can be used as a basis for calculating the radial solutions for other atoms. However, the calculations become more complicated due to the presence of multiple electrons and the need to consider electron-electron interactions. It is also important to note that the Hydrogen-atom radial solution is specific to the Hydrogen atom and may not accurately describe the behavior of electrons in other atoms.