Can substitution be used to find the indefinite integral of 2x/(x+5)^6?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the indefinite integral using substitution and the use of partial fractions. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to use u-substitution, with the explanation that setting u = x + 5 would make x equal to u - 5. This would allow for a successful substitution and solution to the integral.
zzinfinity

Homework Statement

Find the indefinite integral by substitution.

∫2x/(x+5)^6 dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do this using the method of partial fractions, but the book says to use substitution. Is there a way to just do a basic u-substitution with this integrand that I'm just not seeing? Or a way to solve without partial fractions? (we haven't gotten to partial fractions in my class so I feel like there must be some other way).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use u-substitution. What can you set u equal to?

There's a very obvious substitution.

haha, thanks guys. I feel like it is pretty obvious but I just don't see it! If you set u=x+5 that gives du=1dx and you're still stuck with the 2x in the numerator. If you set u=2x, you get du=2dx and then you're stuck with the (x+5)^6 in the denominator.

What am I missing?

If u = x + 5, what is x in terms of u? When you do a substitution, you don't just replace some of the terms.

Got it. Thanks!

Related to Can substitution be used to find the indefinite integral of 2x/(x+5)^6?

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals. It involves substituting a new variable for another within the integral, in order to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

2. Why is integration by substitution useful?

Integration by substitution can be useful because it allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also helps to simplify complicated integrals and make them easier to evaluate.

3. How do you perform integration by substitution?

To perform integration by substitution, you need to follow these steps:

1. Identify the part of the integral that can be substituted with a new variable.
  2. Choose an appropriate substitution rule, such as u-substitution or trigonometric substitution.
  3. Substitute the new variable into the integral and rewrite it in terms of the new variable.
  4. Solve the new integral, which should now be simpler.
  5. Convert the answer back to the original variable.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using integration by substitution?

Some common mistakes when using integration by substitution include choosing the wrong substitution rule, forgetting to convert the answer back to the original variable, and forgetting to include the differential of the new variable in the integral.

5. Can integration by substitution be used for all integrals?

No, integration by substitution is not always possible or useful for solving integrals. It is most effective for integrals that involve polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric functions. Some integrals may require other techniques, such as integration by parts, to be solved.