Can speed be a imaginary number validity of work energy theoram in 1D

In summary: The direction of the force is given by the unit vector \hat{F} which is either pointing towards or away from the other object depending on whether the force is attractive or repulsive. Therefore, the correct expression for the force would be \vec{F}=-F\hat{F}.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of escape velocity in a 1-dimensional system using work energy theorem. It is assumed that the system is not rotating and the distance between the two masses, \overrightarrow{x_{1}} and \overrightarrow{x_{2}}, is given by \overrightarrow{x_{1}}-\overrightarrow{x_{2}}=x_{0}\hat{F}. The correct expression for the force is \vec
ManishR
Consider mass [tex]m_{1}[/tex]and [tex]m_{2}[/tex]with position vector (from an inertial frame) [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{1}}[/tex] and [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{2}}[/tex] respectively and distance between them be [tex]x_{0}[/tex].

[tex]m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{x_{1}}=[/tex][tex]\overrightarrow{F}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}(\overrightarrow{x_{2}}-\overrightarrow{x_{0}})=\overrightarrow{F}[/tex] because its assumed that [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{1}}-\overrightarrow{x_{2}}=\overrightarrow{x_{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow-\overrightarrow{F}\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}}+m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{x_{0}}=\overrightarrow{F}[/tex] because [tex]m_{2}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{x_{2}}=-\overrightarrow{F}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{x_{0}}=\overrightarrow{F}(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\left(m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}x_{0}\right)\hat{x_{0}}=\overrightarrow{F}(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})[/tex] because its assumed that [tex]\frac{d\hat{x_{0}}}{dt}=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}x_{0}=F(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})[/tex] because [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{1}}-\overrightarrow{x_{2}}=\overrightarrow{x_{0}}\Leftrightarrow\hat{x_{0}}=\hat{F}[/tex], [tex]F[/tex] = Gravitational Force

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{1}\int_{x_{i}}^{x_{f}}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}x_{0}dx_{0}=(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})\int_{x_{i}}^{x_{f}}Fdx_{0}[/tex] because normally we have [tex]F[/tex] as [tex]F(x_{0})[/tex].

[tex]\Rightarrow\left.\frac{1}{2}m_{1}v^{2}\right|_{v=v_{i}}^{v=v_{f}}=(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})\int_{x_{i}}^{x_{f}}Fdx_{0}[/tex] because [tex]\overrightarrow{v_{0}}=\overrightarrow{v}[/tex],[tex]\left|\overrightarrow{v_{0}}\right|^{2}=(\frac{dx_{0}}{dt})^{2}[/tex]

in Earth and an object case, let [tex]m_{1}=m[/tex], [tex]m_{2}=m_{e},x_{i}=x_{e}[/tex] and [tex]F=G\frac{mm_{e}}{x_{0}^{2}}[/tex].

[tex]\Rightarrow\left.\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}\right|_{v=v_{i}}^{v=v_{f}}=\left.-G\frac{m(m+m_{e})}{x_{0}}\right|_{x_{0}=x_{i}}^{x_{0}=x_{f}}[/tex]

Escape Velocity = [tex]v_{i}[/tex] when [tex]v_{f}=0[/tex] and [tex]x_{f}\rightarrow\infty[/tex].

[tex]\Rightarrow-\frac{1}{2}mv_{i}^{2}=G\frac{m(m+m_{e})}{x_{e}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{1}{2}mv_{i}^{2}=-G\frac{m(m+m_{e})}{x_{e}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow v_{initial}=i\left(G\frac{m+m_{e}}{x_{e}}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]I don't understand how much speed is this.

Its not just escape velocity, if we don't include imaginery number domian in speed then it implies that if [tex]v(x_{f})>v(x_{i})[/tex] then [tex]x_{f}>x_{i}[/tex] which is also incorrect.

so question is, can speed be a imaginary number ? How do i give imaginary escape speed to an object?

Physics news on Phys.org
A speed can't be imaginary, you must have done something wrong in your calculations (a minus sign missing somewhere or something like this). However, I would suggest that you add some comments so we can understand what is happening in your calculations. As it is now, I don't really understand what you're trying to calculate.

i am deriving work energy theoram in 1d and proving that speed can be imaginary.
[tex]F,x_{1},x_{2},x_{0},v,>0[/tex] as these are modulous part of vector quantities.

Consider mass [tex]m_{1}[/tex]and [tex]m_{2}[/tex]with position vector (from an inertial frame) [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{1}}[/tex] and [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{2}}[/tex] respectively and distance between them be [tex]x_{0}[/tex].
variable definations
[tex]m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{x_{1}}=[/tex][tex]\overrightarrow{F}[/tex]
this is Newton's law.
[tex]\Rightarrow m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}(\overrightarrow{x_{2}}-\overrightarrow{x_{0}})=\overrightarrow{F}[/tex] because its assumed that [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{1}}-\overrightarrow{x_{2}}=\overrightarrow{x_{0}}[/tex]

either [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{1}}-\overrightarrow{x_{2}}=\overrightarrow{x_{0}}[/tex]
or [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{2}}-\overrightarrow{x_{1}}=\overrightarrow{x_{0}}[/tex]
is true. i chose first. however it does not make any difference in
the results.

[tex]\Rightarrow\left(m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}x_{0}\right)\hat{x_{0}}=\overrightarrow{F}(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})[/tex] because its assumed that [tex]\frac{d\hat{x_{0}}}{dt}=0[/tex]
It has to be assumed that system is not rotating as it is nesscery condition for work energy theoram.

Its not just escape velocity, if we don't include imaginery number domian in speed then it implies that if [tex]v(x_{f})>v(x_{i})[/tex] then [tex]x_{f}>x_{i}[/tex] which is also incorrect.

Let [tex]x_{f}>x_{i}[/tex].

Since [tex]\left.\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}\right|_{v=v_{i}}^{v=v_{f}}=\left.-G\frac{m(m+m_{e})}{x_{0}}\right|_{x_{0}=x_{i}}^{x_{0}=x_{f}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow v_{f}^{2}>v_{i}^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow v_{f}>v_{i}[/tex]

ManishR said:

I am too lazy to check whether that matters for your calculations and whether you used the different definition all the time, but if you assume [tex]\vec{x}_1 -\vec{x}_2=\vec{x}_0[/tex]
then you have to replace [tex]\vec{x}_1[/tex] by [tex]\vec{x}_2 +\vec{x}_0[/tex] instead of [tex]\vec{x}_2 -\vec{x}_0[/tex].

Also, I am puzzled what force [tex]F=G\frac{mm_{e}}{x_{0}^{2}}[/tex] is supposed to be. This is a force which has the magnitude of gravity, but is repulsive instead of attractive. Gravitational force would be given by [tex]F=-G\frac{mm_{e}}{x_{0}^{2}}[/tex].

Alternatively, it would be more sensible to assume [tex]\hat{x_{0}}=-\hat{F}[/tex].
[tex]\vec{x}_0[/tex] is always the vector starting at [tex]\vec{x}_2[/tex] and pointing towards [tex]\vec{x}_1[/tex]. The gravitational force on [tex]\vec{x}_1[/tex] also pointing away from [tex]\vec{x}_2[/tex] does not make much sense.

Last edited:
[tex]\overrightarrow{x_{1}}-\overrightarrow{x_{2}}=\overrightarrow{x_{0}}[/tex] is wrong assumption.

the correct assumption is [tex]\overrightarrow{x_{2}}-\overrightarrow{x_{1}}=x_{0}\hat{F}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow-m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}(x_{0}\hat{F})=\overrightarrow{F}(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_{1}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}x_{0}=-F(1+\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}})[/tex] ..[1]

[tex]\Rightarrow\left.\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}\right|_{v=v_{i}}^{v=v_{f}}=\left.G\frac{m(m+m_{e})}{x_{0}}\right|_{x_{0}=x_{i}}^{x_{0}=x_{f}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow v_{esacpe}=\left(G\frac{m+m_{e}}{x_{e}}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

ok everything is alright thanks everyone

Cthugha said:
Also, I am puzzled what force [tex]F=G\frac{mm_{e}}{x_{0}^{2}}[/tex] is supposed to be. This is a force which has the magnitude of gravity, but is repulsive instead of attractive. Gravitational force would be given by [tex]F=-G\frac{mm_{e}}{x_{0}^{2}}[/tex].

F is magnitude of force vector and its always positive whether its attractive or repulsive.

Related to Can speed be a imaginary number validity of work energy theoram in 1D

1. Can speed be an imaginary number?

According to the fundamental principles of physics, speed is defined as the rate of change of position with respect to time. Therefore, speed must always be a real number and cannot be an imaginary number.

2. Can the work-energy theorem be valid in 1D?

Yes, the work-energy theorem is valid in both 1D and 3D systems. It states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This principle applies to all systems, regardless of their dimensionality.

3. How is work defined in 1D systems?

In 1D systems, work is defined as the product of the force applied on an object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in joules (J).

4. Is the work-energy theorem a universal law?

Yes, the work-energy theorem is considered a universal law in classical mechanics. It applies to all types of forces and is a fundamental principle in understanding the motion of objects.

5. Can the work-energy theorem be used to calculate speed in 1D systems?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be used to calculate the speed of an object in 1D systems. By equating the work done on the object to the change in its kinetic energy, we can solve for the final speed of the object.