Can Sound Absorbing Mats Reduce Noise from Central Heat & Air Units?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a loud central heat and air unit in the living room and possible solutions to reduce the noise. Suggestions include adding sound insulation to the inside of the closet, using active cancellation, and mounting the equipment on dampening supports. It is also mentioned that the noise is generated by the blower wheel moving the air and that sound absorbing mats can be used to line the unit's enclosure.
Marty Stanhibel
I have a central heat and air unit enclosed in a closet like area and it is very loud in my living room,
is there a way to install a noise cancelling unit to muffle that sound of the blower unit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marty Stanhibel said:
I have a central heat and air unit enclosed in a closet like area and it is very loud in my living room,
is there a way to install a noise cancelling unit to muffle that sound of the blower unit?
Welcome to the PF, Marty. :smile:

Active cancellation might work, but have you considered adding sound insulation to the inside of the closet? You might try that approach first, and then try adding active cancellation if the insulation does not help enough.

And you could consider mounting the equipment on dampening supports, to lower the mechanical coupling to your home's floor and walls...

The noise is generated by the sound of the blower wheel moving the air..

Thanks everyone, I will locate some sound absorbing mats and line the units enclosure and see how that goes.

Related to Can Sound Absorbing Mats Reduce Noise from Central Heat & Air Units?

1. Is it normal for my central heat & air unit to be loud?

Yes, it is normal for central heat & air units to make some noise while they are running. This is typically due to the sound of the fan and compressor operating.

2. What could be causing my central heat & air unit to be louder than usual?

There are a few potential causes for a central heat & air unit to be louder than usual. It could be due to a loose or damaged fan blade, a dirty air filter, or a malfunctioning compressor. It's best to have a professional inspect and diagnose the issue.

3. How can I reduce the noise from my central heat & air unit?

There are a few steps you can take to reduce the noise from your central heat & air unit. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning or replacing the air filter, can help. You can also try adding insulation around the unit to absorb some of the noise. If the noise is still bothersome, consider investing in a soundproofing cover for the unit.

4. Is it safe to continue using my central heat & air unit if it is making loud noises?

If your central heat & air unit is making loud and unusual noises, it is best to have it inspected by a professional. Continuing to use the unit could potentially cause further damage and potentially lead to more expensive repairs or replacements.

5. Can I fix a loud central heat & air unit on my own?

It is not recommended to try and fix a loud central heat & air unit on your own. Repairing or replacing parts of the unit requires specific knowledge and expertise. It is best to hire a professional HVAC technician to properly diagnose and fix the issue.