Can someone interpret this Einstein quote?

In summary, the end of chapter 28 discusses the power of the general principle of relativity, which lies in its ability to limit the laws of nature. The conversation then delves into the limitations of Euclid's geometry and how the concept of space being flat affects our understanding of gravity. It also mentions the idea of general covariance, where coordinates do not exist a priori in nature and physical laws must be independent of the coordinates chosen to represent them. The conversation ends with a mention of how the value of pi can change and the importance of using geometric quantities, called tensors, in equations to respect the principle of general covariance.
Seminole Boy
End of chapter 28.

"The great power possessed by the general principle of relativity lies in the comprehensive limitation which is imposed on the laws of nature..."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seminole Boy said:
End of chapter 28.

"The great power possessed by the general principle of relativity lies in the comprehensive limitation which is imposed on the laws on nature..."

Yes. It is because in order to describe Gravity, It went beyond the limitation of nature. Have you heard of Euclid's Geometry? It deals with space as being flat. Every experiment was done like this. Because the Space was considered flat, It assumes that only one straight line can go through two points,Angle sum property of triangle is 180 degrees. Two lines which was parallel always remain parallel. These are some laws of nature. Now Do you know what is the limitation of these idea? Can you tell me the limitation in only one straight line can pass through two points?

Ash, I cannot understand what you're trying to say.

Also, I believe many scientists think the universe (which includes space) is flat, so I'm not sure if I'm following you.

Seminole Boy said:

Do you believe that in all cases angle sum property of triangle is 180 degrees? Do you believe that two parallel lines will never meet?

Seminole Boy said:

Also, I believe many scientists think the universe (which includes space) is flat, so I'm not sure if I'm following you.

Yes. The universe is flat. I am not saying anything about that. You want to understand What that quote means na? I am not talking about the universe.I am talking about Gravity.

Seminole Boy said:

Yes. the space is flat.But on some circumstances it changes. Do you know how?

WannabeNewton said:
Ok I have no idea what ash64449 is talking about but it seems rather clear that Einstein is talking about general covariance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_covariance

Why not?? Do you think that Angle sum property of triangle will add up to 180 degrees in curved space?

I do not know what angle sum property of triangle means. I'm a graduate student in an English program. I think in language (and yes, I'm aware this is not a good thing when it comes to physics!). Do I believe that two parallel lines will never meet? Good question. If space has no boundaries and nothing affects the motion of these lines, I do not see how they will ever meet, if everything stays constant.

ash64449 said:
Why not?? Do you think that Angle sum property of triangle will add up to 180 degrees in curved space?
This has absolutely nothing to do with the quote Seminole Boy talked about so why are you even bringing it up?

Seminole Boy said:
I do not know what angle sum property of triangle means. I'm a graduate student in an English program. I think in language (and yes, I'm aware this is not a good thing when it comes to physics!). Do I believe that two parallel lines will never meet? Good question. If space has no boundaries and nothing affects the motion of these lines, I do not see how they will ever meet, if everything stays constant.

Well,think about two lights as parallel. Have you heard like this: Light bends in the presence of gravity?

Newton:

Straight from wikipedia: "The essential idea is that coordinates do not exist a priori in nature..."

What does this mean? Or, please explain it for the nonscientist (me).

Seminole Boy said:
Newton:

Straight from wikipedia: "The essential idea is that coordinates do not exist a priori in nature..."

Nature doesn't have some prescribed coordinate system specially adapted to the laws of physics so why should one coordinate system be any more special than another when writing down the laws of physics?

WannabeNewton said:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the quote Seminole Boy talked about so why are you even bringing it up?

Well i will explain.. These are some limitations of laws of nature such as Euclid's axioms. It states that Angle sum property of triangle is 180 degrees. There is only one straight line passing through two points. These are some limits of law of nature. Albert Einstein said that general relativity goes beyond the law of nature. It does! Energy bends space-time. This curvature is gravity. When space is curved two parallel lines which where parallel is no longer parallel.. Angle sum property of triangle is more than 180 degrees like in surface of Earth and less than 180 degrees in space curved in the shape of trumpet. See General Relativity went beyond the limitations set by Euclid. This was stated by Einstein in his quote.

Seminole Boy said:
Newton:

It means that coordinates are artificial, so physical laws must be independent of the coordinates chosen to represent them. We make sure our equations respect this principle by using inherently geometric quantities, called tensors.

Seminole Boy said:

Value of pi also changes!

WannabeNewton said:
Nature doesn't have some prescribed coordinate system specially adapted to the laws of physics so why should one coordinate system be any more special than another when writing down the laws of physics?

That is not the thing that quote meant. The answer that i was given is.

ash64449 said:
That is not the thing that quote meant. The answer that i was given is.
Whatever makes you happy.

WannabeNewton said:

me happy??

WannabeNewton said:

In the quote that you gave,it speaks about special theory of relativity. It stated the Principle of relativity. That quote meant General Theory of relativity. In GR,There is no co-ordinate system,just space-time. and the co-ordinate do not have the use of their own!

ash64449 said:
Well i will explain.. These are some limitations of laws of nature such as Euclid's axioms. It states that Angle sum property of triangle is 180 degrees. There is only one straight line passing through two points. These are some limits of law of nature. Albert Einstein said that general relativity goes beyond the law of nature. It does! Energy bends space-time. This curvature is gravity. When space is curved two parallel lines which where parallel is no longer parallel.. Angle sum property of triangle is more than 180 degrees like in surface of Earth and less than 180 degrees in space curved in the shape of trumpet. See General Relativity went beyond the limitations set by Euclid. This was stated by Einstein in his quote.

This is nonsense. Euclid describes math, not the real world. There are locally constrained situations in which Euclid's geometry applies, but to say that you have "gone beyond nature" just because there are physical situations in which it does NOT apply is ridiculous. General relativity does NOT go beyond nature, it DESCRIBES nature and co-incidentally points out the limitation of trying to use Euclid to describe nature.

The point is that we must write down the laws of physics as tensor equations so that they are covariant (more generally we use spinor fields). This respects general covariance.

Seminole Boy said:
End of chapter 28.

"The great power possessed by the general principle of relativity lies in the comprehensive limitation which is imposed on the laws of nature..."

The laws of nature must be such that:

1: A machine built jn a still standing factory also works when used in a vehicle moving at any velocity.

2: A machine built in an accelerating spaceship also works on a planet where the acceleration due to gravity is the same as the acceleration of the spaceship was.

phinds said:
This is nonsense. Euclid describes math, not the real world. There are locally constrained situations in which Euclid's geometry applies, but to say that you have "gone beyond nature" just because there are physical situations in which it does NOT apply is ridiculous. General relativity does NOT go beyond nature, it DESCRIBES nature and co-incidentally points out the limitation of trying to use Euclid to describe nature.

don't math describe real world.you have to know that before einsteins,every thing was explained,even physics was explained with the help of euclid's axioms. That is why einstein's general theory of relativity was revolutionary.. Not because it combines many things and all. At that time they went beyond euclid and explain physics based on it..

ash64449 said:
don't math describe real world.you have to know that before einsteins,every thing was explained,even physics was explained with the help of euclid's axioms. That is why einstein's general theory of relativity was revolutionary.. Not because it combines many things and all. At that time they went beyond euclid and explain physics based on it..
This is true, but I believe the quote refers to a constraint - and we've had two good candidates proposed above.

phinds said:

if you cannot accept it from my words,then let's einstin's book itself let you this: read the first chapter physical meaning of geometrical propositions. Book is theory of relativity. You will then accept the above which you called nonesense.

Mentz114 said:
This is true, but I believe the quote refers to a constraint - and we've had two good candidates proposed above.

the quote exactly referred to what i said. Read the book that i said.you will understand..

ash64449 said:
if you cannot accept it from my words,then let's einstin's book itself let you this: read the first chapter physical meaning of geometrical propositions. Book is theory of relativity. You will then accept the above which you called nonesense.
Sorry, but it is you who have missed the point of the quote. WannabeNewton and phinds are correct.

Think twice before trying to "correct" folks who actually understand relativity.

Doc Al said:
Sorry, but it is you who have missed the point of the quote. WannabeNewton and phinds are correct.

Think twice before trying to "correct" folks who actually understand relativity.

ok.they are right and i am wrong.

Doc Al said:

but it is somewhat related to what i said too. Euclid's axioms were treated as laws whose properties depend on space itself. Now with general principle of relativity,einstein proved that it doesn't depend on space itself. I mean laws. There is no such laws.

to understand what i said,you need to look at the first chapter,last paragraph. He talks about faliure of geometrical proposition in general principle of relativity. And what is that these axioms were seen as limits.. He went beyond and said that we can legitimately use any point in curved space to formulate general laws of nature even though it went even beyond the limits of law of nature. This is the connection between what wannabeNewton said and what i said.

This thread has turned into the blind leading the blind. Phinds has answered the question correctly, so there is no need to go off on another tangent. No pun intended.

Related to Can someone interpret this Einstein quote?

1. What is the meaning of Einstein's quote?

Einstein's quote is open to interpretation and can have different meanings for different people. However, it can generally be understood as a reminder to think critically and question everything, rather than blindly accepting information or beliefs.

2. What was the context in which Einstein said this quote?

The exact context in which Einstein said this quote is not known, as it has been attributed to him in various forms. However, it is believed to be a reflection of his personal philosophy and approach to scientific thinking.

3. How does this quote relate to Einstein's scientific contributions?

Einstein's quote can be seen as a reflection of his revolutionary approach to science, which involved questioning commonly accepted beliefs and theories. His famous theory of relativity, for example, challenged the long-held beliefs about space and time.

4. Can this quote be applied to other fields besides science?

Yes, this quote can be applied to various fields and aspects of life. It can serve as a reminder to think critically, question authority, and not accept things at face value. It can also be seen as a call to challenge the status quo and strive for progress and innovation.

5. How can one apply this quote in their everyday life?

One can apply this quote in their everyday life by adopting a curious and critical mindset. This can involve questioning information, seeking evidence and multiple perspectives, and being open to new ideas and possibilities. It can also involve challenging one's own beliefs and biases to continue learning and growing.