Presentation of mass as a physical quantity

In summary: Can one conclude that Eotvos' work which Einstein cited in 1919, lead to Einstein's epiphany of the Equivalence Principle, or were there some intermediate steps involved? The wiki entry that I am referring to is this:"The weak equivalence principle plays a prominent role in relativity theory and the Eötvös experiment was cited by Albert Einstein in his 1916 paper The Foundation of the General Theory of Relativity."I find the work of Eotvos fascinating and was happy to find this relationship with Einstein. However, it is not clear from the wiki article what intermediate steps were involved.
Buckethead
Gold Member
I have started hosting a "scence open mic" and the first one last month was very successful so I'm doing it again. We had about 30 people show up and 5 presenters including myself giving up to an 18 minute talk on anything science. It was a great experience and I encourage others to try it in their town.

Now to my question. For the next open mic I am going to give a presentation on mass focusing on inertial and gravitational mass and their relationship along with Roland Eotvos' pendulum experiment showing their equivalence, followed by Einstein's Equivalence Principle epiphany. If I have time I will talk about the mystery of the absolute nature of rotational forces and acceleration.

My question is this. Can one conclude that Eotvos' work which Einstein cited in 1919, lead to Einstein's epiphany of the Equivalence Principle, or were there some intermediate steps involved? The wiki entry that I am referring to is this:

"The weak equivalence principle plays a prominent role in relativity theory and the Eötvös experiment was cited by Albert Einstein in his 1916 paper The Foundation of the General Theory of Relativity."

I find the work of Eotvos fascinating and was happy to find this relationship with Einstein.

In addition, can anyone recommend any other aspects of mass that would be worth talking about? I'm very excited about this presentation and want to make it a good one. Thanks for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Buckethead said:
In addition, can anyone recommend any other aspects of mass that would be worth talking about? I'm very excited about this presentation and want to make it a good one. Thanks for any suggestions.
You might expand upon generalizations and analogs of mass as with angular momentum in rotational motion and (self) induction in electrical currents.

Buckethead said:
The wiki entry that I am referring to is this

It would help if you would link to it instead of just quoting it.

Equivalence of inertial mass and gravitational mass is the saying based on the traditional way of thinking based on Newoton's two formula, F=ma and
[tex]F=-G\frac{Mm}{r^2}[/tex]. I would say forget about mass and watch acceleration a. The point is everything get the same acceleration under gravity force, how much or less (except zero) mass it has, which is property of space-time. I say here "gravitationa mass" in the sense receipent of gravitational force genertated by the others, not power source of gravitational force acting the others.

Last edited:
Buckethead said:
I have started hosting a "scence open mic" and the first one last month was very successful so I'm doing it again. We had about 30 people show up and 5 presenters including myself giving up to an 18 minute talk on anything science. It was a great experience and I encourage others to try it in their town.

Now to my question.

My question is this.

In addition, can anyone recommend any other aspects of mass that would be worth talking about? I

the concept of centre of momentum help me better "understand" mass.

Related to Presentation of mass as a physical quantity

1. What is mass as a physical quantity?

Mass is a fundamental physical property of matter, representing the amount of matter an object contains. It is a measure of the inertia of an object, or its resistance to change in motion.

2. How is mass measured?

Mass is typically measured using a balance or a scale, which compares the unknown mass to a known mass. The most common unit of mass is the kilogram (kg), but other units such as grams (g) and pounds (lbs) are also used.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different physical quantities. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does mass affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

5. Can mass be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of mass, mass cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction or physical change. It can only be transferred from one form to another. This means that the total mass of a closed system remains constant over time.