Can someone help me please?Help Needed: Deriving 4th Order PDE in One Variable

In summary, the conversation is about manipulating a system of equations to derive a single fourth-order PDE in one variable n, and the hint given is to eliminate u from equations 1 and 2 and then eliminate v from equations 1 and 3. The speaker is unsure if they have eliminated u correctly and is struggling to eliminate v.
dglee
For some reason i can't post in the calculus and beyond section
but i was hoping someone could help me with this question
eq.1 du/dt - fv = g*(dn/dx)
eq.2 dv/dt + fu = g*(dn/dg)
eq.3 du/dx+dv/dg=(1/(H)*(dn/dt)
manipulate the equations to derivate a single PDE in one variable n which is fourth order in time.
the hint was given eliminate u from (1) and (2) and from (1) and (3). Then eliminate v.
ok i was told to do this question by some sort of linear row reducing type of method
eq.1 (d/dt)*u - (f)*v = (g*d/dx)*n
eq.2 (f)*u + (d/dt)*v = (g*d/dg)*n
thus
eq.1 f*((d/dt)*u - (f)*v = (g*d/dx)*n)
eq.2 d/dt*((f)*u + (d/dt)*v = (g*d/dg)*n)
eq.1 (f*d/dt)*u - (f^2)*v = (f*g*d/dx)*n
eq.2 (f*d/dt)*u + (d^2/dt^2)*v = (g*d^2/dg*dt)*n
so i can eliminate u
then becomes
(-f^2-d/dt)*v = (f*g*d/dx - g*d^2/dg*dt)*n
so i did the same thing for 1 and 3. then i tried to eliminate v, but however i can't. I am not even sure if i even eliminiated u properly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did i go wrong?You haven't gone wrong - but it looks like you haven't used the hint given. The hint is to eliminate u from equations 1 and 2, and then eliminate v from equations 1 and 3. To eliminate u, start with equations 1 and 2 and subtract them from each other. This will give you an equation with just v on one side and terms related to n on the other. Then, to eliminate v, take that equation and subtract it from equation 1. This will leave you with an equation with just n on one side and terms related to derivatives of n on the other. That equation is the fourth-order PDE for n that you need.

Sure, I can try to help you with this question. It looks like you are trying to derive a fourth-order partial differential equation (PDE) in one variable n using three given equations. First, let me clarify that the three equations you have given are not PDEs, but rather a system of three ordinary differential equations (ODEs) in the variables u, v, and n. To derive a fourth-order PDE in one variable, we need to eliminate all the other variables (u and v) from the equations.

Your approach of eliminating u and v separately is a good start. Let's take a closer look at the first equation:

eq.1 du/dt - fv = g*(dn/dx)

We can rewrite this equation as:

u' = fv + g*(dn/dx),

where u' denotes du/dt. Similarly, we can rewrite the second equation as:

v' = -fu + g*(dn/dg),

where v' denotes dv/dt. Now, to eliminate u, we can multiply the first equation by f and the second equation by -f and then add them together:

f*u' - f*v = f*g*(dn/dx) - f*g*(dn/dg)

This gives us:

f*u' - f*v = f*g*(dn/dx - dn/dg)

We can simplify this further by using the chain rule for derivatives:

f*u' - f*v = f*g*(d(n/dt))

where d(n/dt) denotes the total derivative of n with respect to t. Now, we can substitute this back into the original equations:

eq.1 f*u' - f*v = f*g*(d(n/dt))
eq.2 v' = -fu + g*(dn/dg)

This gives us a system of two equations in two variables (u' and v'). We can now eliminate v' by multiplying the first equation by f and the second equation by -f and then adding them together:

f^2*u' - f^2*v = f^2*g*(d(n/dt)) - f^2*g*(dn/dg)

This simplifies to:

f^2*u' - f^2*v = f^2*g*(d(n/dt - dn/dg))

We can rewrite this as:

f^2*u' = f^2*g*(d(n/dt - dn/dg)) + f^2

Related to Can someone help me please?Help Needed: Deriving 4th Order PDE in One Variable

1. What is a 4th order PDE?

A 4th order PDE (partial differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function up to the 4th order. It is a powerful tool in describing complex physical phenomena, such as fluid dynamics and heat transfer.

2. How do you derive a 4th order PDE?

To derive a 4th order PDE in one variable, you will need to use the method of separation of variables. This involves assuming a solution of the form u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) and plugging it into the given PDE. From there, you can solve for the functions X(x) and T(t) by using boundary/initial conditions and simplifying the resulting equations.

3. What is the purpose of deriving a 4th order PDE?

Deriving a 4th order PDE allows you to obtain a general solution to a complex physical problem. It also allows for further analysis and investigation of the behavior of the system under different conditions. This can help in making predictions and understanding the underlying principles of the problem at hand.

4. Can you provide an example of a 4th order PDE?

One example of a 4th order PDE is the heat equation, which describes the flow of heat in a system over time. It is given by ∂u/∂t = k(∂^4u/∂x^4), where k is the thermal diffusivity constant and u is the temperature distribution in the system.

5. What are the applications of 4th order PDEs?

4th order PDEs have many applications in physics and engineering, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, elasticity, and quantum mechanics. They are also useful in mathematical modeling and simulation of complex systems. Additionally, 4th order PDEs are used in computer graphics to create realistic animations and special effects.