2D equation for projectile with linear drag force

The other initial condition on the position is going to be a bit more involved. It comes from the boundary condition that the solution should be zero as ##t \rightarrow \infty##.I suggest you work through the problem again and see if you can figure out the appropriate initial conditions.
vsd50

Homework Statement

Given the equations

a) find the solution to the problem (1) in vectorial form, by first writing equation (1) in component form and then solving the two parts separately. These can then be combined to obtain the vector form of the solution.

b) solve the results of the previous part to find x(t) and y(t).

c) taking m=1 kg, g=10 m/s^2 , plot the solutions y verus x for k=0, and k=1 on the same graph for 0<=t<=10000s (Use Maple)

Homework Equations

(1) dv/dt = -g(j-hat) - kv (where v is a vector)
(2) v= vx(i-hat) + vy (j-hat) = (dx/dt) (i-hat) + (dy/dt) (j-hat) (vy : velocity in the y, vx: velocity in the x)
(3) v(t=0) = v(o)= v1(i-hat)+v2(j-hat)

The Attempt at a Solution

so for part a I realized I could use equation 1 and 2 to form something like this
(d/dt)<dx/dt,dy/dt> = <0,-g> -k<dx/dt,dy/dt>
and then for the velocty in the x direction i get
d^2x/dt^2 = -k(dx/dt)
and for the velocity in the y I get
d^2y/dt^2 = -g -k(dy/dt)

Now my problem is that I am supposed to get this back into vectorial form would this be the way I do that?

x' = (-1/k)(x")
y' = (-1/k)(y"+g)

and then plug that back into this
v= vx(i-hat) + vy (j-hat)

so that I get

v=(-1/k)(x")(i-hat) + (-1/k)(y"+g)(j-hat)

also sorry for using a different notation for the derivatives at the end it just looked neater.

Physics news on Phys.org
While you can write it like that, it is usually preferable to write an equation for the acceleration rather than for the velocity. You may also want to introduce the acceleration vector ##\vec a = d\vec v/dt##.

Your results seem fine.

I also suggest that you look into using LaTeX to typeset your equations.

ok so I did part a correctly so for part b I did something like this
$$ \ddot x = -k\dot x$$
$$ m^2+km = 0$$
$$ m_1=0$$ and $$m_2 = -k$$
then $$x=c_1 + c_2(e^{-kt})$$
and
$$\ddot y = -g -k\dot y$$
and seeing -g as $$-\ddot y$$
will yield a $$(2m^2+km)=0$$
where $$m_1=0$$ and $$m_2=\frac {-k}{2}$$
and then yields $$y=c_1+c_2(e^{\frac {-kt}{2}})$$

so how would I use equation (3) to find the constants in both y(t) and x(t) because in part c I need to graph them and also my professor mentions m= 1kg but I don't see a value for m anywhere in x(t) and y(t) so does that mean I am wrong?

Likes berkeman
and thank you for your quick reply before sorry for not that earlier

vsd50 said:
and seeing -g as $$-\ddot y$$
Not sure what you mean by this. It is certainly not true that ##\ddot y = -g##. If you assume this your differential equation will not be satisfied any time ##\dot y \neq 0##. Your solution in the ##x##-direction looks fine.

so should I solve for y assuming that g is an Undetermined Coefficient and use a superposition approach?

vsd50 said:
so should I solve for y assuming that g is an Undetermined Coefficient and use a superposition approach?
Sounds reasonable. Why don't you try it?

ok so I will treat g as an undetermined coefficient and use a superposition approach and use the $$y=y_c+y_p$$

this will then be $$\ddot y + k\dot y = -g$$

then $$y_c$$ will be

$$m^2+km=0 $$

$$m_1=0$$ and $$m_2=-k$$

then $$y=c_1+c_2(e^{-kt})$$

$$y_p=At $$

then $$\dot y_p = A$$ and $$\ddot y_p = 0$$ which yields

$$0+kA=-g$$ then $$A=\frac {-g}{k}$$

so since $$y=y_c+y_p$$

$$y=c_1+c_2(e^{-kt})-\frac {-gt}{k}$$

now that I have found x(t) and y(t) how do I find the constants using the equation (3).
Well i guess what I am asking is what do I do with x(t) and y(t) seeing as I am asked in part c to graph it in a y versus x graph and I am given values of k (k=0 and k=1), m=1kg and g=10m/s^2. Is this a parametric equation?

Thanks for all of the help yesterday but I am still struggling to find values for all of the constants in x(t) and y(t) the only thing i get when t=0 is
$$v_1=c_1+c_2$$ and $$v_2=c_1+c_2$$

Well, clearly you need enough initial conditions in order to solve for the constants. Since they are second order differential equations, you will need initial conditions for both position and velocity. Note that the constant terms (i.e., the position at time ##t = 0##) disappear for the initial condition on the velocities.

Related to 2D equation for projectile with linear drag force

1. What is a 2D equation for projectile with linear drag force?

The 2D equation for projectile with linear drag force is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a projectile, such as a ball or a bullet, in a two-dimensional plane (x-y) under the influence of both gravity and air resistance. It takes into account the linear drag force, which is the force exerted on the projectile due to its motion through a fluid medium, such as air.

2. How is the linear drag force calculated in the 2D equation for projectile motion?

The linear drag force is calculated by multiplying the drag coefficient (a measure of the object's shape and size) by the air density, the projectile's velocity, and the cross-sectional area of the object. This force acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and decreases the velocity of the object over time.

3. What is the significance of the linear drag force in projectile motion?

The linear drag force is an important factor in determining the trajectory and range of a projectile. As the projectile moves through the air, it experiences a decrease in velocity due to the drag force, which causes it to follow a curved path. This force also affects the time of flight and maximum height of the projectile.

4. How does the 2D equation for projectile motion with linear drag force differ from the equation without drag force?

The main difference between the two equations is the inclusion of the linear drag force in the 2D equation. Without drag force, the projectile would follow a parabolic path. However, with the addition of drag force, the trajectory becomes more complex and the projectile experiences a decrease in velocity over time.

5. Can the 2D equation for projectile motion with linear drag force be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the 2D equation for projectile motion with linear drag force is commonly used in real-life situations, such as in sports, engineering, and military applications. It can be used to predict the trajectory of a projectile and determine the necessary adjustments to achieve a desired outcome, such as hitting a target or maximizing range.