Can someone explain what the 4th Dimension is?

In summary: Einstein defined the 4th dimension as time. He gives an analogy of giving directions to meet someone, using the dimensions to specify location and time. Another person adds that the 4th dimension is important in physics as it specifies when events occur. They also discuss how dimensions can be thought of as parameters, with the 4th dimension activating all previous dimensions. In summary, the 4th dimension is time and is important in specifying when events occur in the universe.
Turkish
Can someone explain what the 4th Dimension is?

Physics news on Phys.org
einstien stated that the 4th dimension is time, for example; if you wish to meet somebody some were you would give him directions as follows.
head north 100miles( 1st dimension) turn right and travel 2 miles(2nd dimension)
go up the flight of stairs to the top (3rd dimension) and meet me at 4 oclock(4th dimension).
This is only an anology and probably is not the best example
other people may have different views but i hope it helps

I always think of it like this. The universe is expanding, right? So if you wanted to tell me where to find some distant star you would have to tell me where to look (3 dimensions) and when (4th dimension) cos it aint always going to be there. Kind of hard to express but I hope this helps.

A "dimension" is simply a number used to specifiy something of importance. Physics deals with "events", things that happen at a particular position at a particular time. The first three dimensions give the position, the fourth the time.

Dimensions can be thought of some kind of parameter. For example, let's say you are walking from A to B. In 3D, we can only describe where you are, but in this case, you might be in A, B, or in between, if we don't mention the time. But, if we mention a certain time, let's say time 0(ie. when you first started walking), we will know that you are at A for sure, since you started there.

It is a special case only. Look more widely, guys.
In the general case, (n+1) dimension activates all previous (n) dimensions.

Michael

Related to Can someone explain what the 4th Dimension is?

1. What is the 4th Dimension?

The 4th dimension is a theoretical concept that refers to a dimension beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our daily lives. It is often described as the dimension of time.

2. How can someone explain the 4th Dimension?

The 4th dimension is a difficult concept to explain, as it is not something that we can directly perceive. It is often described using mathematical and scientific theories, such as the theory of relativity and string theory.

3. Is the 4th Dimension real?

The 4th dimension is a mathematical and scientific concept, and it is not something that we can physically experience. However, many scientists believe that it exists in the form of time, as it plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe.

4. How do we know that the 4th Dimension exists?

While we cannot physically experience the 4th dimension, there is evidence for its existence in scientific and mathematical theories. The theory of relativity, for example, relies on the concept of time as the 4th dimension.

5. Can someone visualize the 4th Dimension?

It is difficult for our brains to visualize the 4th dimension, as we are limited to perceiving the world in three dimensions. However, some people have attempted to visualize the 4th dimension through analogies, such as imagining a line moving through a cube to represent the concept of time moving through space.