Can someone explain these 2 linear algebra proofs

This is written in a different order, but the important thing is that it shows that the inverse of AB is the product of the inverses of A and B.In summary, the proofs show that the transpose inverse of a matrix is equal to the inverse of its transpose, and that the inverse of the product of two matrices is equal to the product of their individual inverses. These properties can be used to simplify calculations and solve equations involving matrix inverses.
Kuma

Homework Statement

The proofs:

show (A')^-1 = (A^-1)'

and

(AB)^-1 = B^-1A^-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first one:

(A^-1*A) = I
(A^-1*A)' = I' = I
A'(A^-1)' = I

but I am not sure how this proves that a transpose inverse = a inverse transpose...

the second i have the same problem. Not sure how this really proves what it's asking.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/InverseMatrices_files/eq0041M.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kuma said:

Homework Statement

The proofs:

show (A')^-1 = (A^-1)'

and

(AB)^-1 = B^-1A^-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first one:

(A^-1*A) = I
(A^-1*A)' = I' = I
A'(A^-1)' = I
Both proofs are using the same basic idea: if the product of two (square) matrices is I, then the two matrices are inverses of each other.

In the last line above, you have AT and (A-1)T multiplying to make I. That means that AT is the inverse of (A-1)T.
Kuma said:
but I am not sure how this proves that a transpose inverse = a inverse transpose...

the second i have the same problem. Not sure how this really proves what it's asking.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/InverseMatrices_files/eq0041M.gif

Same thing in the work above, which says that the inverse of AB is B-1A-1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can someone explain these 2 linear algebra proofs

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices and vectors to solve various problems in geometry, physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are proofs in linear algebra?

Proofs in linear algebra are logical arguments that are used to demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. They involve using axioms, definitions, and previously proven statements to arrive at a conclusion.

3. Why are proofs important in linear algebra?

Proofs are essential in linear algebra because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to verify the accuracy of mathematical statements and theorems. They also help in understanding the underlying concepts and principles of linear algebra.

4. Can you explain a simple linear algebra proof?

A simple linear algebra proof involves showing that the sum of two matrices is commutative. This means that the order in which the matrices are added does not affect the result. The proof involves using the properties of matrix addition and the distributive property of multiplication over addition.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra proofs?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra proofs, it is important to have a strong foundation in the basic concepts of linear algebra, such as matrices, vectors, and operations. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and proofs, and to seek guidance from a tutor or instructor if needed.