Can someone double-check this simple binary relation proof?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the commutativity of elements in a subset H of a set S. The proof begins by stating the conditions for a and b in H, and then uses associativity to show that a*b = b*a. The conversation also notes that in order to show a*b is an element of H, it must be proven for all c in S that (a*b)*c = c*(a*b). The conversation ends with a clarification on using the fact that a and b are in H to commute the result.
Syrus

Homework Statement

*attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let a,b ∈ H. Then (∀x ∈ S)(a*x = x*a) and (∀x ∈ S)(b*x = x*b). It is easy to see, then, that a*b = b*a. Now let c ∈ S. Then (a*b)*c = c*(a*b) by the associativity of *.

Q.E.D.

Attachments

• Abstract Algebra 7 ed.bmp
    172.3 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Syrus said:

Homework Statement

*attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let a,b ∈ H. Then (∀x ∈ S)(a*x = x*a) and (∀x ∈ S)(b*x = x*b). It is easy to see, then, that a*b = b*a. Now let c ∈ S. Then (a*b)*c = c*(a*b) by the associativity of *.

Q.E.D.

The last statement does not follow from associativity. Associativity merely says that

[tex](a*b)*c=a*(b*c)[/tex]

I also see no reason to take c in S. You need to prove that a*b in S. That is, you need to show for all c that (a*b)*c=c*(a*b). You don't only need to prove it for the c in S.

Hey micromass. In order to show that a*b is an element of H, isn't the statement to prove: (for all c in S)((a*b)*c = c*(a*b))? Am i mistaken here?

*By the way i am taking c in S to be an arbitrary element

Syrus said:
Hey micromass. In order to show that a*b is an element of H, isn't the statement to prove: (for all c in S)((a*b)*c = c*(a*b))? Am i mistaken here?

*By the way i am taking c in S to be an arbitrary element

Oops, I had my notation mixed up :frown: Yes, that is correct!

Heh. So wait... is the proof correct?

Syrus said:
Heh. So wait... is the proof correct?

You still need to explain why (a*b)*c = c*(a*b). It doesn't follow from associativity.

Can i say that since a,b are elements of S (since H is a subset of S), then a*b is in S. But also, since c is in S, then (a*b)*c is in S. and since * is associative on S, a*(b*c) is in S?

How does thart prove (a*b)*c=c*(a*b)??

You need to use that a and b are in H.

ahhh, finally Figured it out micromass! I wasn't using the fact that a and b were in H to commute the result. That is, since (a*b)*c = a*(b*c), for some unknown reason I thought this was the goal. But now we may use that a is in H to write (b*c)*a and continue to use the fact that a,b are in H along with associativity to obtain our result.

I appreciate your help

Related to Can someone double-check this simple binary relation proof?

1. What is a binary relation?

A binary relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two sets of elements. It is typically written in the form of (x,y) where x and y are elements from the two sets. For example, the relation "is greater than" between two numbers would be written as (5,3) since 5 is greater than 3.

2. Why is it important to double-check a binary relation proof?

Double-checking a binary relation proof is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the proof. By double-checking, you can identify any mistakes or errors that may have been made during the initial proof and correct them before presenting the proof to others.

3. What are the steps for proving a binary relation?

The steps for proving a binary relation are as follows:

1. Define the binary relation in question.
  2. State the properties or conditions that the relation must satisfy.
  3. Provide an example to illustrate the relation.
  4. Use mathematical reasoning and logic to prove that the relation satisfies the stated properties or conditions.

4. Can a binary relation proof ever be incorrect?

Yes, a binary relation proof can be incorrect if there are errors or mistakes in the steps used to prove the relation. It is important to double-check the proof to ensure its accuracy and validity.

5. How can I check the validity of a binary relation proof?

To check the validity of a binary relation proof, you can use counterexamples. A counterexample is an example that satisfies all the conditions of the relation except for the one being proven. If a counterexample can be found, then the proof is invalid. Additionally, you can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your proof and provide feedback.