Can someone check my work for this joint denisty function problem

In summary: Cov(x,y)= E(xy)-E(x)E(y)In summary, the homework statement states that X and Y have a joint density function that is uniform over the interval [0,1]. This function has the following properties: d is a constant, p(y<x) is given by y=x-1/2, and cov(x,y) is given by Cov(x,y)=E(xy)-E(x)E(y).
hwill205

Homework Statement

X and Y have uniform joint density function:

f(x,y)= d (constant) for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1-x

1. find d

2. find p(y<x)

3. find cov (x,y)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. For this I first graphed x=1 and y=1 and created a square since x can go from 0 to a maximum of 1 and y also. I then graphed y=1-x. The area of the bottom triangle is what I want. That is 1/2. So i then do a double integral (x goes from 0 to 1 and y goes from 0 to 1-x) of (c dy dx). This should equal 1/2. I get 1/2 c equals 1/2, so c=1. Is that correct?

2. For the p(y<x), I graphed y=x and you get two triangles within the larger one. We want the area of the lower one. We could get this through simple geometry or by using integrals. If you want to use integrals, you have to split the triangle into half and you get a right triangle and a left one.

Area of left one is

Double integral (x goes form 0 to 1/2 and y goes from 0 to x) of 1, which is 1/8

Area of right one is:

Double integral (x goes from 1/2 to 1 and y goes from 0 to 1-x) of 1, which is also 1/8

So the area of the triangle is 1/8+1/8 which is 1/4. This is p(y<x)

3. Cov(x,y)= E(xy)-E(x)E(y)

I got that E(xy) is 1/24

E(x)=1/6
E(y)=1/6

So Cov(x,y) is 1/72.

Can someone please tell this poor, hopeless soul if these answers are even close to being correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
for 1) so you set up the integral as
[tex] \int dx dy f(x,y) =\int_0^1 dx \int_0^{1-x} dy f(x,y) =d \int_0^1 dx \int_0^{1-x} dy [/tex]

so you can either integrate or note that the area of the triangle is 1/2, this is what the integral without the d term above will return. Then as this is the cumulative probabilty, it means d=2 as the total probabilty to find x,y in the gievn interval must be 1

for 2, the geometric solution is easiest, aren't your 2 triangles symmetric, making the probability 1/2

for 3, consider the centroids of the main triangle (once again can do by integral but geomtric reasoning will be simpler)

when only considering one direction, the area above must balance the area below
E(x) = E(y) = 1/3

E(xy) will correspond to the centre of mass of the triangle

Related to Can someone check my work for this joint denisty function problem

1. What is a joint density function?

A joint density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of multiple variables occurring together. It is commonly used in probability and statistics to model the relationship between two or more random variables.

2. How do I check my work for a joint density function problem?

To check your work for a joint density function problem, you can use various methods such as graphing, calculating integrals, or comparing your solution to a known solution. It is important to carefully follow the steps and equations outlined in the problem to ensure accuracy.

3. What is the importance of checking my work for a joint density function problem?

Checking your work for a joint density function problem is important because it helps to verify the accuracy of your solution and identify any potential errors. It also allows you to gain a better understanding of the problem and the underlying mathematical concepts.

4. Can someone else check my work for a joint density function problem?

Yes, you can ask someone else to check your work for a joint density function problem. It can be helpful to have a fresh set of eyes to catch any mistakes or provide feedback. However, it is important to make sure that the person checking your work has a good understanding of the topic.

5. Are there any tips for checking my work for a joint density function problem?

Some tips for checking your work for a joint density function problem include double-checking your calculations, using multiple methods for verification, and seeking help or feedback from others. It can also be helpful to practice with similar problems to improve your understanding and accuracy.