Can someone check my integral real quick ?

• Thread starter qq545282501
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to find the volume bounded by the paraboloid z=4-x^2-y^2, the xy-plane, and the cylinder x^2+y^2=1, a double integral is used with the bounds of integration being from 0 to 2π for θ and 0 to 1 for r, resulting in a volume of 4 times the integral of (4-r^2)r with respect to r and θ.
qq545282501

Homework Statement

use a double integral to find the volume bounded by the paraboloid :[tex]z=4-x^2-y^2[/tex], xy-plane and inside a cylinder: [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ y=rsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

the radius of the area of integration is 1, since its determined by the cylinder only, and the cylinder has radius of 1.
the cylinder has an infinite z value, so Z is like like [tex]4-r^2- 0[/tex]
so I got this:

[tex] \int_{θ=0}^{2π} \int_{r=0}^1 (4-r^2)r \, dr \, dθ[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

use a double integral to find the volume bounded by the paraboloid :[tex]z=4-x^2-y^2[/tex], xy-plane and inside a cylinder: [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ y=rsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

the radius of the area of integration is 1, since its determined by the cylinder only, and the cylinder has radius of 1.
the cylinder has an infinite z value, so Z is like like [tex]4-r^2- 0[/tex]
so I got this:

[tex] \int_{θ=0}^{2π} \int_{r=0}^1 (4-r^2)r \, dr \, dθ[/tex]
That's it.

When you actually get to where you're evaluating these integrals, rather than just setting them up, there are some shortcuts you can take. Due to the symmetry of the two bounding surfaces, you can find the volume in the first octant, and multiply that by 4 to get the entire volume. IOW, this:
##4 \int_{θ=0}^{π/2} \int_{r=0}^1 (4-r^2)r \, dr \, dθ##

Likes qq545282501
Mark44 said:
That's it.

When you actually get to where you're evaluating these integrals, rather than just setting them up, there are some shortcuts you can take. Due to the symmetry of the two bounding surfaces, you can find the volume in the first octant, and multiply that by 4 to get the entire volume. IOW, this:
##4 \int_{θ=0}^{π/2} \int_{r=0}^1 (4-r^2)r \, dr \, dθ##
gotcha, thank you

Related to Can someone check my integral real quick ?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems related to finding the total amount or accumulation of something, such as distance, volume, or force.

2. Why do I need someone to check my integral?

Integrals can be challenging to solve, and even a small mistake can lead to an incorrect answer. Having someone check your integral can help catch any errors and ensure that your solution is correct.

3. How do I know if my integral is correct?

To check if your integral is correct, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. You can also use online integral calculators or ask a math tutor for help.

4. Can someone check my integral if it involves complex functions?

Yes, someone with expertise in complex analysis can check your integral if it involves complex functions. Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers.

5. Is it okay to ask for someone to check my integral?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for someone to check your integral. In fact, it is encouraged to seek help and clarification when solving challenging math problems. It can also be a great learning opportunity to see where you may have made mistakes.