Can Solving H²_DR(ℝ³ - X) Take a Lifetime?

• Thread starter dglee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the conversation was about a problem mentioned in a movie that involved finding the dimension of a space based on a given set of functions and subsets. The notation used was unfamiliar to some of the participants and clarification was needed on the definitions of certain variables. The problem was related to physics and had a connection to a classical physics problem.
dglee
I was bored so I am deciding that since I am only at the level of undergraduate real analysis, i wonder if anybody could solve this problem. In the movie it said that it would take someone months or many yrs or even a life time. Wonder if this is true or not?

[tex] V = \{ F : \Re^3 \setminus X \rightarrow \Re^3 \left so\right \nabla \times F = 0 \} [/tex]

[tex] W = \{ F= \nabla g\}
[/tex]

[tex] dim(V/W) = ? [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the problem as written make sense to anybody here? Mathematicians?

dglee said:
I was bored so I am deciding that since I am only at the level of undergraduate real analysis, i wonder if anybody could solve this problem. In the movie it said that it would take someone months or many yrs or even a life time. Wonder if this is true or not?
[tex] V = \{ F : \Re^3 \setminus X \rightarrow \Re^3 \left so\right \nabla \times F = 0 \} [/tex]
[tex] W = \{ F= \nabla g\}
[/tex]
[tex] dim(V/W) = ? [/tex]

As a rule, even mathematicians need to know what you are talking about before they can answer! I presume you are saying that V is the set of all functions defined on a given subset of R3 with curl 0- but I have no idea what g is.

hmm well i copied that question straight from the movie... that movie with Russel Crowe as John Nash. Where he teaches multivariable calculus and he put that question down on the board.

I think we'd need to know what X and g are, to start with.

I'm not even sure what the notation dim(V/W) means...

It took me 5 seconds to solve this, the problem is meaningless because nothing is defined :smile:

Cyclovenom said:
It took me 5 seconds to solve this, the problem is meaningless because nothing is defined :smile:

you mean that mathematics isn't being treated properly in a hollywood movie!? :-p

I believe this arose in physics, although that is the only thing I could find. (I, too, was interested in what this was after seeing the movie.)

i hope somebody can answer this... lol I am really interested in what it means.

"The problem Bayer finally chose (see photo) was a more complicated version of a classical physics problem: determining whether a static electric field (the F in lines 1 and 2) necessarily has a potential function (indicated by g). If the “electric field” is allowed to be infinite or simply nonexistent at certain points (collectively indicated by X), the question becomes physically unrealistic but mathematically very rich. The answer depends not only on the geometry of the set X but also on one’s assumptions about the field F—as the fictional Nash explains to Alicia rather brusquely when she offers her stab at a solution."

http://www.swarthmore.edu/bulletin/june02/bayer.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about digging up an old thread, but I've never encountered such notation before. Is this an older notation? I'm not in physics so I don't understand the explanation given above.

the fancy R is just R as in the real numbers.

The question is, given V the space of functions {f} defined on V\X such that curl(f)=0, and W the subspace of functions that are grad(g) for some g, what is the dimension of the quotient space V/W? Or, more succinctly, what is the dimension of

[tex] H^2_{DR}(\mathbb{R}^3 - X)[/tex]

for X some subset of R^3, or something. If X is the empty set then the answer is zero.

It's a question about excision.

Related to Can Solving H²_DR(ℝ³ - X) Take a Lifetime?

1. What is the story behind "A Beautiful Mind"?

"A Beautiful Mind" is a biographical drama film based on the life of mathematician John Nash. The film follows Nash's struggles with mental illness and his groundbreaking work in game theory, which earned him a Nobel Prize in Economics in 1994.

2. Is "A Beautiful Mind" an accurate portrayal of John Nash's life?

While the film takes some creative liberties with the timeline and characters, it is generally considered to be a mostly accurate portrayal of John Nash's life and his struggles with schizophrenia. Some aspects, such as the depiction of his hallucinations, have been exaggerated for dramatic effect.

3. How did "A Beautiful Mind" impact the public's perception of mental illness?

The film was praised for its sensitive portrayal of mental illness and helped to increase awareness and reduce stigma surrounding conditions like schizophrenia. It also sparked important discussions about the ethics of treatment and the role of support systems in managing mental health.

4. What scientific concepts are explored in "A Beautiful Mind"?

The film delves into various mathematical concepts, such as game theory and the Nash Equilibrium, as well as aspects of psychology, such as hallucinations and delusions. It also touches on the social implications of Nash's work and the importance of collaboration in scientific research.

5. How did the production team work to accurately portray the time period in "A Beautiful Mind"?

The production team consulted with experts and extensively researched the 1950s and 1960s to ensure accuracy in the film's sets, costumes, and props. They also used real footage and photographs from the time period to help recreate the atmosphere and events depicted in the film.