Can Self-Learning Lead to a Career in Physics and Math?

John M. Carr
Hello. I'm John, and I'm 25.

Until recently, I was a part-time college student, and now I'm not. The degree I was going for, Computer Technology with a programming emphasis, was something I seemed to be proficient at, but it was also something that I have pretty much zero passion about. I didn't dislike it, per se, but I have not an ounce of drive for programming.

I'm almost glad that I couldn't go through with it, because this has given me time to self-learn what I really want to: physics and math (neither of which they have much incentive to have degrees in what basically amounts to a glorified technical college.)

I've long loved consuming popular and semi-popular information about science, physics specifically--I used to carry as many books from the public library on physics and astrophysics as I could and read them all. Now, the handwaving is nowhere near enough for me--I want to learn how physics really works, and that requires a whole set of skills revolving around something that, until I was an adult, I never knew I possessed the ability to acquire: mathematics.

See, when I was growing up, I was really turned-off by certain aspects of the way math was taught. That, combined with a few other, more personal, factors resulted in me shutting down and pretty much refusing to learn it on-pace. Thus, by the time I was in high school, I was pretty much behind (I was in honors classes for much of my tenure in everything except math.) By then, I thought I incapable of "getting it."

But, I found out differently, when I studied math (not even cramming, really) for only three days and then got an the military entrance exam score over twenty points higher than one I got when I took the same test late in high school, a higher score affected directly from me studying math, because the verbal part was maxed out both times. That's when I realized I could learn math, if I did so on my own.

So, yeah, it's going to be a good while before I can go back to college. I've always gotten back up after being knocked down as concerns academics, (and I've been knocked down a lot.) I will do so again, but in the meantime I fully intend to teach myself as much as I can. And, when I go back next time, it's darned well going to be for I ACTUALLY want to study. I'm not going to settle for something I don't care about, just to say I've earned a degree. For one thing, I face so many problems anyway, that I wouldn't have the willpower to face them if it's all for studying a subject I don't really care about to begin with.

If you've read to this point, I commend and appreciate your patience. Thank you, and I'm glad to be here.

John M. Carr

Likes VV2096
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could combine your passion with what you know and explore computer simulations of physical systems as a self-learning exercise.

THere's a website called www.compadre.org/osp that provides the Open Source Physics collection of classes to do various kinds of simulations. There's also many examples that you can check out too.

Likes John M. Carr