Can self induction increase power consumption?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in power consumption of a coil when using AC and DC regimes. The coil is made of copper wire with an air core and initially draws 5W of power with a CC current of 1 amp. When the power supply is changed to AC, the consumption increases to 5.5W. The coil is then removed and only a straight wire remains, with the consumption returning to 5W on the AC power supply. The individual is unsure of the reason for this difference and asks for clarification on the inductance of the coil, frequency, voltage measurements, and sources. The conversation ends with the conclusion that the power dissipation should be the same with the same DC and RMS voltage, but
Jucimar
Hi folks,

My question relays on the difference of consumption power of a coil when it's on AC and CC regime.

A coild is made of copper wire with air core, aplied on it a CC current of 1 amp, a measure was taked and nottice a 5W of power consumption. Then the power supply is changed to and AC power suplly, now the consumption was about 5,5W. Now the coil was dismaid and it is just a simple wire ( straigh line) and remais on AC power supply. Now the consumption is around 5W again.I have some tought about it but I'm not quite sure. It seems to me that when you a CC regime on a wire, the coil only represent a indcutor it self and after a long time it turn just to be a short circuit, so this can't increase the power.
When i have the coil on AC regime, it creates a self induction made by a opsition to the real currente that pass trough the wire, in that, we need to increase the voltage of the power supply to still with 1 amp (effective).

Can someone help me to understand why this occurs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jucimar said:
CC

Do you mean DC?

anorlunda said:
Do you mean DC?

Yes, CC for me in Brazil is "Continuos Current" or in USA Direc Currente.

Jucimar said:
Then the power supply is changed to and AC power suplly, now the consumption was about 5,5W.
Welcome to the PF.

Do you know what the inductance was of the coil? What frequency was the AC applied? How were you measuring the current and voltage and power? What DC and AC voltages were used? What were the sources of those voltages?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Do you know what the inductance was of the coil? What frequency was the AC applied? How were you measuring the current and voltage and power? What DC and AC voltages were used? What were the sources of those voltages?

The statement was made in a exam of my college...this data was all about we had...when you do some calculus by ohms law we can see the dc voltage is 5 volts, perhaps that on ac voltage its no simple, the frequency is 60hz... so my think is that to maintain the same currente of 1 amp (effective current) the only when to increase power is to increase ac voltage, makes any sense for you?

Power dissipation given the same DC and RMS voltage should be the same. The question is not well-formed, IMO.

Related to Can self induction increase power consumption?

1. What is self induction?

Self induction is the phenomenon of producing an electromotive force in a circuit by varying the current passing through it. This is typically achieved by using an inductor, which is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How does self induction affect power consumption?

Self induction can increase power consumption in a circuit due to the production of an electromagnetic field. This field can cause energy losses in the form of heat, which results in higher power consumption. Additionally, self induction can also cause voltage drops, leading to a decrease in power efficiency.

3. Can self induction increase power consumption even in a closed circuit?

Yes, self induction can still increase power consumption in a closed circuit. This is because the magnetic field produced by self induction can cause energy losses and voltage drops even within a closed loop of wires.

4. Is there a way to reduce the effects of self induction on power consumption?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the effects of self induction on power consumption. One way is to use components such as capacitors or resistors to counteract the effects of self induction. Another way is to use materials with lower resistance, which can reduce energy losses and voltage drops.

5. How does self induction affect power consumption in electronic devices?

Self induction can affect power consumption in electronic devices by causing energy losses and voltage drops, as well as generating electromagnetic interference. This can lead to reduced efficiency and performance in the device, and may also result in additional heat production, which can impact the longevity of the device.