Can science explain paranormal phenomena?

• Thread starter Dale Warren
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently no scientific explanation for paranormal phenomena. While some researchers have attempted to use scientific methods to study and explain these phenomena, the results have been inconclusive. Many scientists argue that paranormal experiences can be attributed to psychological and environmental factors, rather than supernatural forces. However, others believe that there may be undiscovered scientific principles at play that could eventually explain these seemingly inexplicable occurrences. Until more research is conducted and concrete evidence is found, the question of whether or not science can explain paranormal phenomena remains unanswered.
Dale Warren
I am a South African, currently teaching English at a Saudi University. What I know about science is dangerous- I last studied it in High School, at the start of the eighties, had no interest in the subject, slept in class, and cribbed all my homework! I still have no interest in physics and biology as such- but I have had a lifelong interest in the paranormal, because I have always been 'sensitive' to 'presences'! (This is probably the cue for all you 'hard scientists to burst out laughing!).

I am trying to put 'spirits' (for want of a better word), in a conceptual framework of physics and biology, (which is where I think they rightfully belong)- the various explanations offered up by the mystics and psychics always seem to be questionable, while the empirical evidence they offer in support of their views, (and there is definitely some), is always open to several interpretations; (and their interpretations never convince me!).

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

We don't discuss pseudoscience here at the PF (it's in the Rules at the top of the page under INFO). You an learn a lot about mainstream science here, though.

Likes pinball1970 and Evo
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

We don't discuss pseudoscience here at the PF (it's in the Rules at the top of the page under INFO). You an learn a lot about mainstream science here, though.
I am not discussing pseudo-science; what I am asking; IF such creatures exist- would science have the instrumentation to pick them up? And insofar as I have any points to make on the subject, all of them are taken from the known laws of physics and biology!

The thread you posted is now under review by the Mentors, and will not be visible unless approved. That process may take a couple of hours. Please avoid posting more about this until the disposition of that thread is decided and you are notified. Thanks.

Related to Can science explain paranormal phenomena?