Can reversing the polarity of a charged capacitor have dangerous consequences?

• Thread starter DottMySaviour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of reversing the polarity of a charged capacitor and the potential dangers associated with it. The participants also suggest an experiment to better understand the behavior of capacitors and emphasize the importance of hands-on experience in learning electronics.
DottMySaviour
I just started learning about capacitors in Electrical and Electronics Principles and I thought of a situation which I couldn't get a satisfactory answer/explanation from my lecturer.

What happens if after charging a capacitor to 99%, I reverse the polarity of my power supply (or flip the capacitor)?
Also, is it dangerous to do this and why?

I'm assuming the surplus electrons on the side of the capacitor will flow to the other side of the capacitor, thus changing the polarity of the charged capacitor, i.e. discharge then charge again.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have it right. The polarity of the charge will flip after a surge in the current.

Dangerous depends on how big the voltages and currents are. High voltages and large currents should always be considered dangerous.

If you are playing with a 1.5 v charge on a 1 μf capacitor, there is no danger to humans.

DottMySaviour said:
I'm assuming the surplus electrons on the side of the capacitor will flow to the other side of the capacitor, thus changing the polarity of the charged capacitor, i.e. discharge then charge again.

An experiment for you.
Every new student should try this.

Try it with an ohm meter and capacitor.

While you're at it
take two multimeters . Label one "Measuror" and the other "Measurree".

Connect their red leads together.
Connect their black leads together.

Set "Measuror" to DC volts, a high scale.
Set "Measuree" to Ohms, highest scale.
In following steps, write down meter readings.

Measuror should report a volt or two.
Measuree should report a few megohms.

Switch Measuror to DC milliamps.
It should report a fraction of a microamp.

Did you notice we have just measured the Thevenin circuit of Measuree set for ohms, open(well ,almost open) circuit voltage and short circuit current??
DMM's work by applying a controlled current and measuring the voltage that current produces across the unknown. They are limited to a volt or two open circuit so as to not hurt anything.

Now set Measuree to progressively lower ohm scales and note what current it applies to Measuror . You'll have to set Measuror for progressively higher current scales.

So
now when you connect the DMM set for ohms to a capacitor
you'll actually see that capacitor being charged by current from the meter
and you'll see Mr Capacitor hold a charge while you swap the leads
and you'll see how much more slowly it charges with small current from higher ohm ranges.
And you'll see polarity reverse when you swap the leads - meter reports voltage stored in the capacitor.

DMM's were rare and exotic idea in the 1950's.
We used analog meters with a needle and they did not have a capacitance scale, just DC ohms.
We became skilled at estimating the value of a capacitor by using the meter set for ohms.and watching how far the needle deflected when first touching it to the capacitor.Reason i recommend this is -

1. One should know what is inside his test equipment. That way it's less apt to fool him.
2. For me, the visceral experience of doing something plants the concept 100X stronger than just reading about it.
You don't learn to walk from a book...

old jim

Last edited:
Likes Averagesupernova, Windadct and anorlunda
of course you don't want to do that with a polarized capacitor. That's easy for some to forget.

You are correct that it will discharge the capacitor and charge it to the new polarity.

You can use standard formulas to compute the surge currents and rate of voltage change given your estimates for the power supply impedance and ESR of the capacitor.

Welcome DMS!

A capacitor can be fundamentally thought of as energy storage - you have charged it, and now reverse the polarity of the source - think of the condition JUST before you make the last connection... what is the V across the open circuit point? What does make caps dangerous - is they do not have the controls or limits of a power supply - while not truly unlimited - a charged capacitor is pretty much the best source for high current..

Oh -- an do Jim's experiment.

jim hardy said:
1. One should know what is inside his test equipment. That way it's less apt to fool him.
2. For me, the visceral experience of doing something plants the concept 100X stronger than just reading about it.
You don't learn to walk from a book...

old jim
One of the first things we did in school was build our own test equipment so we would actually understand what is inside. We actually built a very small CRT scope. I thought it really gave a better understanding of electronics in general.

Related to Can reversing the polarity of a charged capacitor have dangerous consequences?

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied, one plate accumulates positive charge while the other accumulates negative charge, creating an electric field between them. This electric field allows the capacitor to store energy, which can be used to power electronic circuits.

2. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The right capacitor for your circuit depends on several factors, including the required capacitance, voltage rating, and frequency. Capacitance is measured in farads (F) and determines the amount of charge the capacitor can store. The voltage rating determines the maximum voltage the capacitor can withstand without breaking down. The frequency is important because capacitors have different characteristics at different frequencies. It's best to consult a datasheet or seek advice from an electronics expert to select the appropriate capacitor for your circuit.

3. Can capacitors go bad or wear out over time?

Yes, capacitors can go bad or wear out over time due to factors such as high temperatures, excessive voltage, or manufacturing defects. When a capacitor wears out, it can lose its specified capacitance, develop leakage, or even short circuit. It's important to regularly check capacitors in electronic devices and replace any that show signs of failure to prevent damage to the circuit.

4. What is the difference between a polarized and non-polarized capacitor?

Polarized capacitors have a positive and negative terminal and can only be connected in a circuit in one direction. These types of capacitors are often used in electronic devices that require large capacitance values, such as power supplies. Non-polarized capacitors do not have a specific polarity and can be connected in either direction. They are typically used in circuits that require small capacitance values, such as filtering or coupling circuits.

5. Can a capacitor be used as a battery?

No, a capacitor cannot be used as a battery. While both store energy, they do so in different ways. A battery uses a chemical reaction to generate a constant flow of electrons, while a capacitor stores charge in an electric field. This means that a capacitor can only store energy for a short period of time and cannot provide a continuous flow of power like a battery can.