Can Relativity Be Confirmed Again with a Star and a Black Hole?

In summary, recent observations of a star and black hole have once again confirmed the validity of Einstein's theory of General Relativity. This marks another successful confirmation of the theory, making it even more difficult to challenge and leading scientists to focus their efforts on finding a unifying theory that modifies GR. These observations were made possible by advancements in telescope technology, allowing for a clearer view of the heavily obscured galactic core. This achievement is significant as it was conducted on a larger scale and under more extreme conditions than previous experiments such as the Pound-Rebka experiment done in an Earth laboratory. Furthermore, each new proof of GR puts a hard experimental limit on alternative theories, leading to the discarding or reworking of certain theories that fail to predict these
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Always great news to see GR working at such extreme conditions. Each confirmation makes it tougher to come up with a theory of everything but maybe it will instead direct our energies toward one theme as ideas which modify GR are dropped from the mix of possible theories.

Why (or how) is this different than the Pound-Rebka experiment? (done 59 years ago)

jedishrfu said:
Each confirmation makes it tougher to come up with a theory of everything

I don't see why?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why (or how) is this different than the Pound-Rebka experiment? (done 59 years ago)

I imagine the achievement here is mostly in the success of improvements to telescopes, AO, spectrographs and such which were necessary to raise SNR sufficiently so that valid data can be obtained in this particular difficult case. Galactic core is heavily obstructed by dust and gas.

My guess is primarily because it was done at larger scales and more extreme conditions around a black hole whereas Pound Rebka was done in an Earth laboratory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound–Rebka_experiment

Each new proof of GR necessarily puts a hard experimental limit on the kinds of theories that can replace it. This means that some theories that don't predict the value of the GR experiment will have to be discarded or reworked.

jedishrfu said:
Each new proof of GR necessarily puts a hard experimental limit on the kinds of theories that can replace it.

But future quantum gravity theories are expected to differ from GR at field strengths (or curvatures, if you will) _much_ higher than even those at BH event horizons.

IOW: their predictions for events like one on this case are exactly the same as from GR. Therefore this observation does not further constrain the set of possible quantum gravity theories.

I think we are in agreement here. Some of the current theories have to be or have been discarded because they failed to predict what has been measured.

This paper talks about binary pulsars (circa 2008) and how experimental results have confirmed GR and limited other alternatives to GR:

https://books.google.com/books?id=s... experiment limits alternate theories&f=false

It's not hard to imagine then that these latest GR results will do the same.

jedishrfu said:
I think we are in agreement here. Some of the current theories have to be or have been discarded because they failed to predict what has been measured.

This paper talks about binary pulsars (circa 2008) and how experimental results have confirmed GR and limited other alternatives to GR:

https://books.google.com/books?id=sT_ICgAAQBAJ&pg=PA225&lpg=PA225&dq=GR+experiment+limits+alternate+theories&source=bl&ots=fFcBpAKvnS&sig=7XeNlFIe-Q-SQCkS7ppedB-ALc4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTg7WisL_cAhWI7IMKHbZqAO0Q6AEwBnoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=GR experiment limits alternate theories&f=false

The disproved theories in question are not "theories of everything" you mentioned earlier, i.e. quantum mechanical unifications of SM forces with gravity.
They are _classical_ theories of gravity.

I feel you are taking things way too seriously here. I am not a physicist and my feeling is that every theory we develop leads to a theory of everything. As we are searching for this ultimate theory of everything, our experiments help to focus our results in the right direction.

Likes BillTre
jedishrfu said:
My guess is primarily because it was done at larger scales and more extreme conditions around a black hole whereas Pound Rebka was done in an Earth laboratory.

But it's not all that extreme. The acceleration due to gravity on S2 is about the same as on the surface of the moon. If you want to argue that what matters is potential, not force, you can do ~50x better with the white dwarf data.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
That’s a good point, I don’t have any better reason except to celebrate that we can see deeper into the center of our galaxy than before to observe GR in action.

Fascinating news!

Every so often another confirmation of Einstein's theories makes headline news. To wit, LIGO's observation of gravitational waves.

But I was wondering, is there a definitive list of experiments that have confirmed GR (and SR?)...?

Thanks,

Cerenkov.

Related to Can Relativity Be Confirmed Again with a Star and a Black Hole?

1. What is "Relativity Confirmed Again"?

"Relativity Confirmed Again" is a scientific study or experiment that provides evidence supporting Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

3. How was relativity confirmed again?

Relativity has been tested and confirmed multiple times through various experiments and observations. However, the recent "Relativity Confirmed Again" study may have used new technology or methods to provide further evidence for the theory.

4. Why is it important to confirm relativity again?

Confirming relativity again is important because it reaffirms our understanding of the laws of physics and strengthens the validity of Einstein's theory. It also allows for further advancements and developments in the field of physics.

5. What are the implications of "Relativity Confirmed Again"?

The implications of "Relativity Confirmed Again" are significant as it supports the foundation of modern physics and has potential applications in various fields such as astronomy, space exploration, and GPS technology. It also opens up the possibility for future research and discoveries in the field of relativity.