Can Ratio and Root Tests Determine the Convergence of Complex Series?

• Thread starter nameVoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio Root
In summary, the first problem involves a series that diverges since the terms do not approach zero. The second problem involves a series that also diverges by the ratio test. The conditions for the ratio test are that the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms must be less than, greater than, or equal to 1 for convergence, divergence, or indeterminant respectively.
nameVoid
[tex]
1. \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}ntan\frac{1}{n}
[/tex]
dont know where to start here
[tex]
2. \frac{1*3*5*****(2n-1)}{n!}[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{2n-1}{n!}[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{2(n+1)-1}{(n+1)!}*\frac{n!}{2n-1}[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{2n+1}{(n+1)(2n-1)}[/tex]
[tex]->0[/tex]
my book is showing divergence

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't appear you applied the tests correctly?

The ratio test says that the sum [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n[/itex] converges if [itex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right|[/itex] is less than 1, diverges if it is greater than one, and is inconclusive if it equals exactly 1.

The root test says the sum will converge depending on the result of [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} (a_n)^{1/n}[/itex] with similar conditions as above.

From what I can see, you didn't apply either. Your book is correct. An easier way to do this is using the fact that the terms must approach zero to converge.

(1) This series diverges. Show that

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{\tan (1/n)}{(1/n)}[/tex]​

is not 0.

(2) I assume you mean the series

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdots (2n-1)}{n!}[/tex]​

Any series that involves an iterative product (like this one), the ratio test is a good first approach. Note factorials are iterative products.

[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdots (2n-1) \cdot (2n + 1)}{(n+1)!} \cdot \frac{n!}{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdots (2n-1)}[/tex]​

Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here.

--Elucidus

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdot
\cdot\cdot(2n-1)}{n!}[/tex]
this is the first problem I have seem with listed factors
I applied the ratio test the same as if to
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2n-1}{n!}[/tex]
it seems as if the test has been applied diffrently here forgive me if I am missing somthing obvious but
[tex]a_{n+1}=\frac{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdot
\cdot\cdot(2n-1)(2n+1)}{(n+1)!}[/tex]
are we simply proceeding into the next iteration by listing (2n-1) along with (2n+1)
[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}=\frac{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdot
\cdot\cdot(2n-1)(2n+1)}{(n+1)!}\cdot\frac{n!}{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdot
\cdot\cdot(2n-1)}=\frac{2n+1}{n+1}=2[/tex]
to show the series is divergent
for the trig series i see the the limit tending to 1 is this a conditon that must be satisfied

Last edited:
The condition for the ratio test is that [tex]|\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}|<1[/tex] for convergence, >1 for divergence, and =1 for indeterminant. Since the limit converges to a value of 2>1, the series is divergent by ratio test.

Related to Can Ratio and Root Tests Determine the Convergence of Complex Series?

1. What is a ratio test and how does it work?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It works by comparing the ratio of the absolute value of the (n+1)th term to the absolute value of the nth term in the series. If this ratio is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the ratio is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the ratio is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

2. When should the ratio test be used?

The ratio test is most useful when the series contains factorial or exponential terms. It is also commonly used when the limit of the nth root of the nth term is difficult to determine.

3. How do you apply the root test to a series?

The root test is applied by taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the nth root of the nth term in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

4. What is the difference between the ratio test and the root test?

The main difference between the ratio test and the root test is that the ratio test compares the ratio of two consecutive terms, while the root test takes the root of each term and compares the limit of these roots. Additionally, the ratio test can be used when the limit of the nth root of the nth term is difficult to determine, making it a more versatile test.

5. Can the ratio test and the root test be used on all series?

No, the ratio test and the root test can only be used on infinite series that contain positive terms. They cannot be used on alternating series, as the convergence or divergence of these series cannot be determined by the ratio or root of the terms alone.