Can quantum mechanics predict the likelihood of chemical reactions in mixtures?

In summary, the Schrodinger equation for a mixture containing 25% H2 gas and 75% He gas can be written using the Hamiltonian, which takes into account the particles' enclosed volume and their electrostatic energy. The equation can then be solved to find the appropriate wave functions for the system, which can be further restricted by temperature, pressure, and mixture composition conditions. Quantum mechanics can also be used to determine the likelihood of a reaction between different molecules under certain conditions, by comparing their free energies. However, determining the rate of the reaction involves more complicated approximations.
Big-Daddy
How do I write the non-approximated Schrodinger equation Hamiltonian for a mixture containing 25% by partial pressure of H2 gas and 75% by partial pressure of He gas, at 100 KPa pressure and 298 K?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want exact Schroedinger equation, you have to take all charged point-like particles - nuclei and electrons - as basic constituents. The number of molecules is irrelevant.

In order to write a meaningful Schroedinger equation, you have to have the particles enclosed in some finite volume. You can model this situation by a potential well described by some function ##V(x,y,z)##. You can model the molecules as a system of charged particles with total potential energy ##U## given by the Coulomb electrostatic energy. The Hamiltonian is

$$
\hat H = \sum_a \frac{p_a^2}{2m_a} + U + \sum_a q_a V(\mathbf r_a).
$$

The index ##a## runs over all nuclei and electrons. The masses and charges are arbitrary and you can choose them such that they correspond to your problem.

Then the Schroedinger equation for the function ##\psi(\mathbf r_1, \mathbf r_2, ...)## is

$$
\partial_t \psi = \frac{1}{i\hbar} \hat{H} \psi.
$$

What does [itex]p_a[/itex] represent, and don't we have to specify the function [itex]V(\mathbf r_a)[/itex]?

Shouldn't there be temperature and pressure dependence? Shouldn't there be dependence on how much of each gas is present in the mixture?

Big-Daddy said:
What does [itex]p_a[/itex] represent, and don't we have to specify the function [itex]V(\mathbf r_a)[/itex]?
[itex]p_a[/itex] is the momentum of particle a.

Big-Daddy said:
Shouldn't there be temperature and pressure dependence? Shouldn't there be dependence on how much of each gas is present in the mixture?
Temperature and pressure are statistical mechanical quantities. I suspect, though one may correct me on this, that pressure can still be reasonably interpreted as the negative derivative of the energy with respect to volume?

"How much" of each gas is present will correspond to different solutions. He is more stable than hydrogen and will correspond to lower energy solutions. I don't really know if that is the right way to think about it though - saying the system is 3/4ths He and 1/4th H2 feels like a classical way of thinking about it.

Last edited:

These are the quantities that restrict the set of applicable wave functions for your situation. But these restrictions can be applied only after the possible wave functions, solving the Schroedinger equation, are found. The equation itself remains unchanged.

I see. So once all of the solutions are found for the equation (each solution corresponding to one wave-function), how do I then apply a temperature/pressure condition or a mixture composition condition (in this case, 25% H2 and 75% He) to find which wave-function will be representative of the sample under those conditions?

I'm guessing all wave-functions which remain when the set of all solutions is restricted firstly by the temperature/pressure condition and secondly by the mixture composition condition will be the possible isomers under those conditions. And of these, whichever isomers correspond to a lower energy wave-functions will be more prevalent than others under those conditions.

And can one go directly from a molecular wave-function to the molecular orbital set for that molecule?

Big-Daddy said:
And can one go directly from a molecular wave-function to the molecular orbital set for that molecule?
There's no reason to get molecular orbitals if you have the actual wavefunction. MO's are an approximation on the order of hartree fock theory.

Ok then. And let's say I want to know if the H2 in this mixture (i.e. mixed in with some He) will react with O2 under certain statistical mechanical conditions (i.e. temperature and pressure). How in principle do we write the equations to figure this out? Solving them as you've said is an entirely different matter.

Can we specify a product and get the rate of the reaction we've written? Or, can we get the expected and likeliest product out of the two reactants, if they will indeed react under the given conditions?

So you're moving out from quantum mechanics then. If you want to know IF they'll react, regardless of the rate, you'd want to compare the free energies. The free energy difference can give the relative proportion of reactants and products.

Rates are a lot more complicated. If you're comfortable starting to discuss approximations I can tell you a few to look into.

Jorriss said:
So you're moving out from quantum mechanics then. If you want to know IF they'll react, regardless of the rate, you'd want to compare the free energies. The free energy difference can give the relative proportion of reactants and products.

Ah no. I'm well aware of thermodynamic/kinetic methods. I was just wondering if quantum mechanics will tell us the answers. And using free energies answers only the question: will these reactants react to produce these products? It does not answer the more general question: will these reactants react at all, and if so, what are the likeliest products for their reaction.

Related to Can quantum mechanics predict the likelihood of chemical reactions in mixtures?

1. What is a Hamiltonian for mixtures?

A Hamiltonian for mixtures is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a mixture of different substances. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of each individual component, as well as the interactions between them.

2. How is the Hamiltonian for mixtures different from a regular Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian for mixtures is different from a regular Hamiltonian in that it includes terms for multiple components, rather than just one. It also takes into account the interactions between components, which a regular Hamiltonian does not.

3. How is the Hamiltonian for mixtures used in scientific research?

The Hamiltonian for mixtures is used in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science, to study the behavior of mixtures at a molecular level. It helps researchers understand how different components interact and how this affects the overall properties of the mixture.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Hamiltonian for mixtures?

Like any mathematical model, the Hamiltonian for mixtures has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, and may not accurately represent real-world systems. Additionally, it can be complex and difficult to solve, especially for large mixtures.

5. How does the Hamiltonian for mixtures relate to thermodynamics?

The Hamiltonian for mixtures is closely related to thermodynamics, as it helps us understand the energy changes that occur in a mixture. By analyzing the Hamiltonian for mixtures, we can determine the equilibrium conditions of a system and make predictions about its behavior under different conditions.