Can Polarised Light Enhance Black and White Photography?

• Thread starter Phil the tinkerer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polarisation
In summary, polarised light can enhance black and white photography by reducing glare and increasing contrast, resulting in more detailed and dynamic images. By filtering out scattered light rays, polarised filters can bring out the textures and tones in a scene, making the subject stand out more. This technique is especially useful in landscape photography, where it can improve the appearance of skies, water, and foliage. However, the use of polarised light may not always be appropriate or desired, as it can also change the colors and overall aesthetic of a photo. Ultimately, the decision to use polarised light in black and white photography should be based on the desired outcome and creative vision of the photographer.
Phil the tinkerer
How did you find PF?
duckduckgo
I am a 60 year old tinkerer who enjoyed science at school and studied architecture. Now I make things and enjoy having ideas and experimenting with them. I came here to ask a question about optics, polarisation and old school black and white film stuff

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Likes Phil the tinkerer
Phil the tinkerer said:
How did you find PF?: duckduckgo

I am a 60 year old tinkerer who enjoyed science at school and studied architecture. Now I make things and enjoy having ideas and experimenting with them. I came here to ask a question about optics, polarisation and old school black and white film stuff
Welcome to PF, Phil; it's good to have you here. :smile:

And I see that @DrClaude has already given you a good reply to the optics question that you posted in your new thread. :smile:

Likes Phil the tinkerer
Thank you sir

Likes berkeman